• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

strikemaster recoil

wally-eye

Question

How hard is it to fix a recoil on a Strikemaster? Mine broke over New Years weekend and I haven't had a chance to dig into it yet. Any idea how long of rope is used? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

15 answers to this question

I just did my two horse strikemaster in december. Very easy to do. The only problem I had was the nuts that hold the gas tank to the carb stubs where stuck on the carb studs. The carb came off with the tank and I didn't keep good track of the gaskets and spacer. Apperently I put the spacer on upside down (which was an easy fix) which caused not to run unless it was half chocked. Flipped the spacer and all was well.

I found the parts I needed at bieswingers. The staff there knew exactly what I needed. I just told them I needed a recoil kit for a two horse tecumseh on a strikemaster and without a hesitation he said they had four on the shelf. They had bulk rope and I estimated the approximate length wich worked just fine.

It took about a half an hour to replace the recoil and rope. A screwdriver, a couple quarter inch drive sockets and a ratchet

was all that was needed.

Thanks airjer. I'll probably try to tackle the project this weekend. I had the same problem with the gas tank and the carb studs. I wanted to clean my carb and I wasn't paying that close of attention when I took the tank off and the carb came off with the tank and I had to try to figure out which way it went back together. I think I got it right however it is harder to start now. Then the rope broke on me.

At least when the rope breaks theres no question that its time to go home!! blush.gif

How about if the recoil rope is good, but it does not lock when pulling the rope. I was able to get by the last time out by sticking an object in there to get the recoil to lock before each pull, but it's a major PITA.

Is there a spring or something that popped that I need to get back into place?? Is there much that needs to come apart to repair it?

Hey Airjer, how hard is it to replace the recoil spring? I broke the cord on my strikmaster last weekend, then when i was fixing the cord I noticed the spring was bent at the end, I swear I didn't even touch it yet and BAM, there it was all undone in the garage. I tried to recoil it but after an hour and a few choice words, I gave up. Was going to take it in, but if they aren't to bad to do, I might tackle it myself. I have mastered taking off the tank. grin.gif

Is the recoil pulley shaft that the "dogs" (small spring-loaded metal tabs that grab the shaft and are mounted to the cooling fins) grab stripped? I've had that problem twice and had to get the recoil pulley replaced both times; the second time with a new top housing and larger dogs. I had a post about this about a year ago that related to the first year's worth of 2hp tecumseh power heads with the new yellow compression release button. The dogs were too small, and the top housing and recoil pulley were also retooled to accomodate the higher compression motors. They are very snappy and would backfire and strip the shafts to nothing. Beleive me; it's not fun to have this happen on the ice. It has worked great since I had the upgrade at DRock.

No....nothing is stripped that I am aware of. Is there a spring that makes the dogs pup out to grab? I can make the dog grab by sticking something in there to get them to pup out and grab and then proceed to try to start.....but they are not popping out by themselves so I need to stick something in there each time I want to pull it.

This is an older Mag III.

Yeah, each dog has its own spring, and they are each attached with one screw. If there is any gunk in there or if the screws are too tight, it may cause the dogs to not pop in. They should pop in if the engine is not turning (centripital force pulls them out) so they grab the shaft when starting. If you can get in there (removal of gas tank and cutting the sticker to get the top off) you may be able to get them working better. I wouldn't spray anything in there unless it's silicone based or a dry graphite powder so you don't have any freeze-up problems.

Wally-eye,

You have to go fishing once in a while to have a need to fix the auger!

You want me to come over this weekend and help you fix it? How much beer do you have?

Hmmm, that's odd. I think I've fished more than BigDave2 has this winter.

In my case the rope broke and the recoil spring was trashed so I needed to replace both. I tried rewinding mine as well, note to self this is impossible and no time should be wasted in trying to do this!!!! The new spring is pre wound and retained by a U shaped peice of round bar. You simply remove the tape and hold it over the recess for the spring and push it into place. The kit will come with the spring, plastic rope holder thingy, dogs, dog springs, and directions. I think the kit and rope where about $28 dollars or priceless when the auger fires up again!! grin.gif

The recoil not grabbing sounds like an issue with the dogs or the plastic piece the rope is attatched to.

You can rewind the recoil spring, but it is a serious pain in the b*tt mad.gif I think when I did it, it took at least 30-45 minutes to rewind it and reload it.

thanks, I tried rewinding the spring, Tried for about an hour. what a pain. After quite a few choice words, and a good cramp in the hand, I decided that it was time for a new spring. grin.gif