• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Cannon/Straight Rivers

Anyone on here fish the Cannon or Straight Rivers?...I am looking foward to fishing them early this spring, hopefully find some smallmouth...Any info on spots to fish and lure choices would be appreciated..Thanks

I fish the cannon river from cannon falls to the miesville park quite a bit out of a canoe and due pretty well but only later on in the summer and into the fall when the water is extremly low and it seems that most fish(walleyes,saugers and smallies)are concentrated in pools below current. the only method i used now is just dragging a split shot/hook tipped with a leech, used to throw alot of raps but have lost to many with snags. There is also some very nice pike in this stretch. Its a fun river to float and fish and i've caught just about every kind of fish under the sun. Sorry but i have never floated or fished the straight river. Good luck

Fished the stretch between Farbaolt (spelling is horrible, but too lazy to look it up), and Northfield a little bit.

Had some success with Smallies. Great multi-species river like was suggested before. Carp, redhorse, sucks, walleye, northern, bullies, list goes on.

Had quite a bit of luck with a mixed bag down by Red Wing and Cannon Falls also. Mooneye, short-headed redhorse, carp, more smallies, walleye, catfish, northerns, etc.

Love the Cannon...such a mix of fish, just never know what you'll end up bringing in...

Can get a river map free from the DNR that will be able to show you some access points, dams, and the like. Straight River is included on that map also. Email and ask them for one, provide your address, and they'll mail it out to ya.

Sorry, no spots delivered though...part of the fun is the search...

Best shot at smallies is the Cannon, Faribault to the Mississippi. The closer you get to the Miss the better the smallie popualtion is.

The Straight between Owatonna and Faribault has some walleye, bullheads, northern as well as other rough fish.

Spring time where the Straight connects with the Cannon can have some quality fish action. Usually feast or famine.

Good luck!