• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

New boat??

fishinalot

Question

I'm looking to get a new boat this spring that will troll down and have enough power to plane 1000 lbs of gear in Canada. I currently have a 94'alumacraft Backtroller with a 40 merc. I love the power of the 40 Merc and its ability to troll down to 1.5mph on calm waters.

I'm looking to stay with a 16' but do not know what boat or what motor would be close to the older rig I have.

Does any one own a 50-60 Evinrude e-tech? how do they troll down?

I'm trying to keep a smaller 16' like the Backtroller, but also have the power to haul the loaded gear.

12 answers to this question

The only other boat I can think of with a big payload is a Lund Alaskan. I think they still make them in 16, if not maybe try and find a used one.

I'm thinking Lund classic or crestliner fishhawk with a Merc 50 2 stroke.

Also thinking about the Alumacraft 165 with a 50 Yamaha 2-stroke.

Does anyone have any complaints or compliments on either?

Thanks

I've also been looking at the Alumacraft 165. Seems like a decent deal with the 50 horse for around 12k. Lund also came out with a competitive boat, the 1625 REBEL XL SS. It has about the same specs as the Alumacraft 165, but it might come standard with a 40 instead of a 50 horse. I know there was a sportsmans show last weekend, but isnt' there another boat show coming up?

I believe the boat show is towards the end of the month. The Alumacraft 165 has the built in gas tank, I don't think the Rebel does. I like not having to carry extra gas tanks along on trips.

But for 12,500 I may go with the Alumacraft.

Also check out Power Pro boats.

I am thinking of making a new purchase, and a Power Pro could be in the future.

Good luck..

I had a Crestliner 1650 Fish Hawk for years. I loved that boat. Lots of rod storage, huge livewell, really wide, and 18 gallons of fuel. I had a 60 HP Merc tiller on it. It ran 34 MPH, which isn't too bad for 16 foot boat. If I did that boat over again, I would definitely run a 4-stoke. It was pretty much impossible to troll with a 2 stroke.

I like having a bigger boat now, but I do miss the versatility that a wide 16 foot boat offered. I could fish small lakes with bad access because it was easy on and easy off the trailer. And, I had no hesitations about taking it on Mille Lacs or Vermillion in a good chop. You might get wet, but you can handle it.

tednudgefan

The boat is rated for a 40-75 hp motor. As far as what hp motor is on the boat advertised online, you would need to check with an area dealer.

Yes, another boats show is coming up next week at the Conventiuon center starting Wednesday I believe.

LUND will have their line up of great boats on hand and also their new glass boats.

fishinalot

If your looking at a 50 hp motor, I would really check out the 4 stroke. Very nice motor and that baby is quiet, trolls down very nice. If you dont like buying alot of gas, the 4 stroke is the motor for you.

The boat show is next week, January 23 - 27, 2008 at the

Minneapolis Convention Center. If you are thinking of getting new then this is the place to find the best price. Besides that, where else can you talk to several boat dealers and hammer out a deal with a beer in your hand?

I have heard good things on the Merc 50 and 60 4-strokes. I'm going to the Boat Show next week to see what kind of deal I can get on one with a Crestliner or a Lund.

I have a Tiller now, but not sure if I'm going with a tiller again or a Console.

That's why I need to get to the show!

Make sure you talk to our own Bass-n-Spear (Jason Schade) at the Crystal-Pierz booth. And, for sure tell him you're FMer. Jason is a very good guy and can give you the honest low-down on Crestliner's offerings.

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• mulefarm
      With the early ice out, how is the curlyleaf pondweed doing?
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   The big basin, otherwise known as Big Traverse Bay, is ice free.  Zippel Bay and Four Mile Bay are ice free as well.  Everything is shaping up nicely for the MN Fishing Opener on May 11th. With the walleye / sauger season currently closed, most anglers are targeting sturgeon and pike.  Some sturgeon anglers are fishing at the mouth of the Rainy River, but most sturgeon are targeted in Four Mile Bay or the Rainy River.  Hence, pike are the targeted species on the south shore and various bays currently.   Pike fishing this time of year is a unique opportunity, as LOW is border water with Canada, the pike season is open year round. The limit is 3 pike per day with one being able to be more than 40 inches. All fish 30 - 40 inches must be released. Back bays hold pike as they go through the various stages of the spawn.  Deadbait under a bobber, spinners, spoons and shallow diving crankbaits are all viable options.   Four Mile Bay, Bostic Bay and Zippel Bay are all small water and boats of various sizes work well. On the Rainy River...  Great news this week as we learned sturgeon will not be placed on the endangered species list by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.     The organization had to make a decision by June 30 and listing sturgeon could have ended sturgeon fishing.  Thankfully, after looking at the many success stories across the nation, including LOW and the Rainy River, sturgeon fishing and successful sturgeon management continues.   A good week sturgeon fishing on the Rainy River.  Speaking to some sturgeon aficionados, fishing will actually get even better as water temps rise.     Four Mile Bay at the mouth of the Rainy River near the Wheeler's Point Boat Ramp is still producing good numbers of fish, as are various holes along the 42 miles of navigable Rainy River from the mouth to Birchdale.   The sturgeon season continues through May 15th and resumes again July 1st.   Oct 1 - April 23, Catch and Release April 24 - May 7, Harvest Season May 8 - May 15, Catch and Release May 16 - June 30, Sturgeon Fishing Closed July 1 - Sep 30, Harvest Season If you fish during the sturgeon harvest season and you want to keep a sturgeon, you must purchase a sturgeon tag for $5 prior to fishing.    One sturgeon per calendar year (45 - 50" inclusive, or over 75"). Most sturgeon anglers are either a glob of crawlers or a combo of crawlers and frozen emerald shiners on a sturgeon rig, which is an 18" leader with a 4/0 circle hook combined with a no roll sinker.  Local bait shops have all of the gear and bait. Up at the NW Angle...  A few spots with rotten ice, but as a rule, most of the Angle is showing off open water.  In these parts, most are looking ahead to the MN Fishing Opener.  Based on late ice fishing success, it should be a good one.  
    • leech~~
      Nice fish. I moved to the Sartell area last summer and just thought it was windy like this everyday up here? 🤭
    • Rick G
      Crazy windy again today.... This is has been the norm this spring. Between the wind and the cold fronts, fishing has been more challenging for me than most years.  Panfish have been moving in and out of the shallows quite a bit. One day they are up in the slop, the next they are out relating to cabbage or the newly sprouting lilly pads.  Today eye guy and I found them in 4-5 ft of water, hanging close to any tree branches that happened to be laying in the water.  Bigger fish were liking a 1/32 head and a Bobby Garland baby shad.   Highlight of the day way this healthy 15incher
    • monstermoose78
    • monstermoose78
      As I typed that here came a hen.  IMG_7032.mov   IMG_7032.mov
    • monstermoose78
      So far this morning nothing but non turkeys. 
    • monstermoose78
      Well yesterday I got a little excited and let a turkey get to close and I hit the blind!!
    • smurfy
      good......you?? living the dream..in my basement playing internet thug right now!!!!!! 🤣 working on getting the boat ready.......bought a new cheatmaster locator for the boat so working on that.   waiting for warmer weather to start my garden!!!
    • monstermoose78
      How is everyone doing? Holy moly it’s chilly this morning I stayed in bed and will hunt later today when it warms up.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.