• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Pooping in kennel

germanshorthairs

I have a 11 month old that is still pooping and peeing in 6 x 10 foot kennel. She has no problem when she is in the crate during hunting trips. But when she is at home and in the kennel when we are at work she poops and pees. Any ideas??? I take her out right away when I get home and she goes where I take her and knows what potty means-but does not wait if she has to go. I will give just about any suggestions a try!Thanks in advance

Is there food and water in the kennel with her? How long are you gone? When do you feed her and how much? What goes in must come out ;\)

Feed in morning and at night, fresh water in morning and at night. I am gone about 9 hrs a day. Give lots of play time before I go to work and after. Maybe she just needs to grow out of it, I dont know. But there are periods when we are hunting that she is in the crate for longer than 9hrs and does not go in the crate??

She is "forced" to hold it in a crate. I would do the same.

In a kennel she has room to relieve herself... I would do the same. Is it a big deal because you need to clean it up? or for other reasons? 9 hours is a long tome to hold it. Figure 9 hours during the day and then again holding it all night... that is probably 16 outta 24 hours where you are expecting her to hold it........

Try cutting out the morning feed and increasing the evening feed. Hopefully she will 'empty' in the morning and make it through the day. After 8 months of age, I feed my labs 3 cups of a HIGH QUALITY food once a day and have done so for my whole life, including growing up. The higher the quality the lesser the amount, the firmer the stool. 40 some years of doing so and I haven't noticed a problem from it yet.

Good Luck!

Ken

I totally agree with Labs. The logic behind crate training is the dog would not risk going to the bathroom in its small cozy space. When you place them in a 6x10 foot area, the dog has room to go to the bathroom and not dirty up a sleeping area. It just has too much space. It is nice to give them the extra room, when you're away vs. being in the crate, but if I'm gonna be gone, my boy goes right back in the crate. He still sleeps the whole time and doesn't go to the bathroom in there.

Feedings could help alot. I do exactly what Labs says except with my smaller dog I give 2 cups, evening only.