• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Have to tell you guys this story...

SnipeZilla

So i'm out fishing for some mid-day perch with 7 of my buddies. I'm sittin on top of a school of little perch and catching a few small ones here and there. Then, I set the hook and i'm pulling up some decent weight. I thought it was a nice walleye. So, I holler to my friends and as soon as they come running over, the thing pulls out about 50 yards of drag. Just burnin. About 15 minuets later after about 5 dives, we see that it's a musky. I was using a light action rod with 4lb test and a little jig tipped with a euro larvae. So needless to say we were extremely cautious as not to lose this fish. Well, we got it and it was a 40" musky. My brother was at a local bar up there that night and he told some of the locals about it and they told him he was lying. So, I thought i'd tell you guys the story and hope someone besides my friends who were there would believe me. Fight of a life time on a light action rod.

Cool story, Snipe. Bottom line is...who cares if they believe him or not? You were there and know what happened.

People can be very rude and jealousy is an ugly thing. A 40" ski on 4lb line is a feat to be proud of. Pictures are the great "de-liar" when people doubt.

Thanks for sharing.

that had to be a blast never caught a huge fish on a light action ice rod. congrats. i am headed to the pond in about an hour hope to have some of that luck.

iceman

that's a great story good for you, there really would be no reason lie on an online forum so who cares what those people think, my puck to my vexilar got hit by 2 pike last week and it was only an inch below the bottom of the ice and i COULD NOT believe it myself!

Again congrats to you thats an awesome catch!

Thanks guys. If anyone can help me out, I can get a pic of it up. I still don't know how to get pics on here.

If it is any consolation I believe you 100%. Isn't that fun catching something that big on light tackle?

Hey Snipe, email it to me and I will post it up for you....

polarsusd81 @ yahoo and a dot com.

Hey Snipe,

Great story. Last season I was in St. Alban's bay with 4" of ice looking for perch. I finally found em and got several on a small jig with larva. They got wise to that so I went to the small pimple with larva and got a few more. Then I put a minnow head on and on the first drop about 8 ft down in 17FOW i feel a tick and the line starts going sideways so I hit it. I was using a 24" ultralight with 3lb and landed the pike in the pic below. Same kind of thing except you landed a real PIG.... The perch action must have drawn him in because that bay is all sand.

e-mail me your pics and I'll post em for you. [email protected]

Have fun everyone,

MilleLacsStAlbanesBayDec06.jpg

Snipe,

They were IN a BAR, not OUT ON a BAR!!!

Who gives a krap what they think!

Keith

Nice job Snipe. Fish envy is all too common. Well put Bandersnatch, "They were IN a BAR, not OUT ON a BAR!!!"

Nice northern! I don't know why some people would think this an impossible feat. I recall that a sturgeon of grand proportions was pulled through the ice in the past few years up north by a guy using 4 or 6lb test. I myself have hoisted sturgeon over thirty pounds with 6lb Trilene in the spring walleye rush. Congrats again!!

i was part of this whole feasco and let me tell you i have never seen anyone as excited as snipe was after we pulled that fish through the hole. fight of a lifetime that will be talked about for a long time to come.

musky.jpg

aftermusky.jpg

Snipe,

georgous fish and congrats. That actually happened to me about 3 years ago on lake Alex. The father in law had a small perch that didn't want to leave the hole for a half hour or so. so he decided to push the little bugger down the hole and it statred to swim around for awhile under the house moment later he nudges me and tells me to look down his hole, and there is this large musky about 10 feet down (we where fishing in 31ft). I sat back in my seat and thought what the heck, so I raised up my pimple to about 10 ft and jigged acouple of times. Looked away at my set line, then looked in my hole just in time to see that fish inhale my pimple. It only took ten minutes or so to get the fish out of water not much of a fit for 41 1/4" musky on 6lb test but what a treat. Still my biggest esox to date!

But all in all congrats again on your fish.

Very nice fish Snipe. Looks like someone beat me to the punch on posting up the pics, but that would have been one awesome fight on light gear like that. Great work.

last year i cought a 36 inch pike out there on a small jig and a eurolarve on 4 lb test, its the coolest thing ever to do for the fish getting a quick meal without expending any energy is what they are looking for in the winter.

SnipeZilla, Sure do believe it as over new years weekend I was on ottertail and did the same thing with a noodle rod and 4 lb test 30 minutes and it was a 38 inch Northern. The best part was we were sight fishing in 11 feet and I watched him hit.

I caught a small 24 incher slimmer the other night on a light rod setup and I'm telling you that was the greatest time catching a fish all winter. So I can believe the fun you must of had with that pig. Way to go.

Funny story about fish hitting your vex puck... My brother and I were fishing on LOW three years ago in 32 FOW. At around 1 in the afternoon the bite slowed down and as we were leaning back into our chairs taking a break we heard a noise that sounded like a piece of plastic had hit the ice. We both sat up quickly think we had dropped something down a hole only to find a 10# plus pout gumming my brothers transducer. After the initial shock, he reeled up to the fish with his spoon and the fight was on! Good Times. Thanks for the story Snipe!

i had a pout come up in my hole and start biting the bobber one time when i was a kid. i was quicker then and reached down and grabbed it! i had my gramp rolling on the floor that time. cant remember how big it was, but it happened on mille lacs.

regards,

minnesotatuff