• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
FatMike

Marcum lx-3 vs Marcum lx-1

Question

FatMike

What are the main differences between the two flashers? Is the lx-3 worth the extra $? I don't really have the cash to buy a lx-5 or I would by that. Thanks.

9 answers to this question

Deitz Dittrich

The LX-3 is going to have more power.. much more power.. the LX1 The added power will help with noise rejection.

LX-3 1500 watts of power

Vx-1 600 Watts of power.

The Lx-3 is going to have a movable zoom. Very very nice feature!

Vx-1 only has bottom zoom.

In my opinion the LX-3 is a much better unit..

opsirc

also I believe that the LX3 has 12 levels of IR and the VX1 only has 6. If you can afford it go for the 3.

O

FatMike

Thanks for the info and opinions. Greatly appreciated. Is there anywhere to get a deal on one of these units?

Hookmaster

There's a place online that sells reconditioned LX-3s and LX-5s. They are not always in stock. You save about $70-$80 with a 1 year warranty. Google "reconditioned lx-3" and click on the first hit. It says the website that has these.

firebug

say fatmike;

the Marcum is a VX-1 it has 600watts, also it has the bottom 5' lock. This is a great unit for the money.Plus it comes with a $20 or $30 rebate til Jan. 15,2008.

pulsar_nx

LX 1 does not have zoom or softcase otherwise they are the same.

FatMike

Besides price and more power between the lx-5 and lx-3 the only difference seems to be that the lx-5 has a dual beam. What exactly is this and what benefits does a dual beam have?

I'm thinking I may go with an lx-3, but would like to hear what people say about the dual beam first.

Thanks for all the replies and information.

firebug

say I'm talking about the vx-1 not the lx-1. check out what marcum say about their vx-1. http://www.marcumtech.com

Hookmaster

The dual beam is a 8 degree cone and a 20 degree cone. The 8 degree cone is nice in a fish house with holes close together. Depending on the depth you should only be able to see the jig in the hole the transducer is in. It's also nice on steep breaks because it minimizes the dead zone. Thwe LX-5 also has a fine line setting which makes the marks on the dial very thin which increases the target separation a little more. The biggest difference between the LX-3 and the LX-5 is the dual beam. The fine line and extra power aren't that much to get excited about.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• Barbelboy
      Gimruis, i'm on your team. My last boated musky was 2005. One would believe it not possible. Now, to double down on Ace's statement, I don't target them frequently, and to be honest I really never was all that particular to fishing for them. But part of it is just bad luck. I probably averaged 8-10 1/2 days musky fishing every summer on lake vermilion for 20 years and I've netted 6-7 for boat mates and lost 4. But while my folk had a place on lake vermilion for 20 years. My blasted twin brother would try out a new buck tail off the dock and catch a 47" fish.  It's kind of a running joke in my family now about how I can't catch one. You'd think i'd eventually put the pieces together and get one in the boat!
    • gimruis
      I stopped keeping track at over 300 hours specifically targeting them.  I'm sure the number was probably closer to double that.  Its a true story.
    • Hoey
      Steve - Nice report.  I will be fishing this weekend with high school classmates, our annual trip, then staying around all week toward Labor Day and heading home on Sunday to avoid the heaviest traffic.  I will be bringing my tree equipment and spending a day helping a local retiree with some trimming.  
    • meisterluv
      Hi guys,   I'm driving up to fish the Alexandria area and would like pointers on which lakes would be best for quality fish.  I've read about darling and carlos but feel those might be to heavy pressured and possible to big of a lake for me.  Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    • DRAGFOOT
      Summer slipping away means Fall fishing though!
    • BobT
      Did you find most of those in the afternoon? We didn't do so well. Tried for eyes on various midlake humps for about an hour and then changed tactics to panfish for about 45 minutes before we had to leave. Found one decent size northern pike but that was it for us.    Enjoyed having the opportunity to meet you, Borch. Too bad we weren't able to spend more time. Maybe next time.🙂
    • Chill62
      The tournament the girlfriend has been fishing ended Saturday night so we were able to take off early Friday and make it out for an evening bite and again Saturday morning.
      Friday night fishing was good but a lot of 6-7" gills but we did land a few 9.75" and 9.5" gills.  Really tough bite had to cover LOTS of water to find them.   Saturday morning the crappies moved in and were really aggressive but they were 6-8" with only a handful over 10". We landed a few more 9.5" but we had to cover miles of shoreline jigging trying to find them.  Boats next to us weren't even catching a blue gill it was a tough bite.  Very negative bite.   We left the water Saturday and was instantly approached by the game warden.  I was working on my trailer prior to loading the boat and he was asking the typical questions about fishing because he's seen my trailer very often at the access.  He was pleasantly surprised that we didn't keep a fish.  He said everyone has been keeping limit after limit and he's seeing the size drop from almost 9" average down to a group that morning had kept 7" for 4 limits.  Told him we kept 8 fish last Saturday for some meals and that was it in the 3 weeks we've been fishing up there, needless to say I think he was shocked and proud that people weren't just taking limit after limit home.   Tournament ended Saturday night at midnight for the girlfriend.  The app keeps track of everyone's best 10 fish and her length at the end of the tournament was 95.5" which puts her in first place. Second place is at 91.5" and third place 91.25" so unless something major happens and they don't like our pictures she should have the win!  It was interesting in the beginning to be excited for 8" gills then after we got 10 of them they jumped to 8.5" then to 9.0" then 9.25" then pushing for 9.5".  Was a lot of fun.  I believe she has 2-9.25" and 4-9.5" with remaining being 9.75".  The final 10 fish were all caught in Becker County on one lake and were let go to swim again.  I stress a lot catch and release and keeping only what you want or NEED for a meal but during this tournament we caught the same fish 4 times.  He is blind in his right eye, big beautiful blue gill and I caught him week ago Saturday and again Sunday and the girlfriend repeated me on Saturday and Sunday this weekend.  Each time he measure 9.25" so we either caught the same fish 4 times or we caught 4 different gills all the same length in the same area of the lake.   All fish were also caught on Panfish Pirate 5 mm lead jig in Lipstick color with either Push Up or Bubble Gum soft plastic Kraken.  We are waiting for an official announcement from the organizers that these scores are official and I'll report back at that time!
    • ANYFISH2
      Nice work Borch! Or maybe I should say Mrs. Borch?   Looks like I missed out.
    • papadarv
      Keys to make the blade work well. *Sharp! *Cutting edge needs to line up to the Gullet of the opposite blade! *Add a .020 shim 1/8" wide between blade screw and cutting edge. Increases cut angle to same as K-Drill! I'm working on another set welding  1/4" piece of blade to the outside blade edge extending the blade 1/2" past auger flight making it a full 8" hole. Note how the K-drill blade extends 1/2" past the auger flights.  
    • leech~~
      I like your blade work as well. Two summers ago when I sold my hand auger at my garage I think I throw out about 4 sets of those old blades as well!  😣