• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Ice fishing

Does anyone ice fish any of the small rivers? I would think that if a person found a deep hole you could catch some fish in the winter. I may try the crow, cannon or lesueur rivers next week.

I've given it much thought over the years, just never got to it.

Last 5-6 winters have been warm enough to find open water.

If you do try it( which I don't recommend with recent warm up) DO NOT go alone and bring saftey precautions including rope.

keep the rods bendin'!!!

Jim W

I would just find a back water or eddy if I was you, but you can try the current but the problem with the current is the Ice conditions very, and when your fishing, your stuff always gets pushed to the bottom of of the ice so you will need alot of weight. I have put tipups out in the current and caught fish I usually just put a bell sinker on the bottom and then run a floater up from that.

• 1 month later...

I would encourage it, you never know what you will find. My best example is a small river in WI I fish. It is a small, fairly fast currented river, but there are a couple of spots that small backwaters have formed off the main channel. None of these backwaters are bigger than, o maybe an acre. But the panfish, crappie, northen, and bass all pack into these little spots, none deeper than around 4 feet. We're the only ones who I have ever seen fish it, and there are always fish to be caught. But yes, be careful with ice conditions.