• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
Can'tFishEnuf

Wheel bearing ???

Question

Can'tFishEnuf

I repacked my bearings today and found a little rust around the inner bearing and race. After I got it nice and cleaned-up it was still very smooth, but a little discolored. I didn't feel any pitting so I decided to repack and reinstall. Now I'm second-guessing myself and wonder if I should have replaced the bearing and race. Anybody have any suggestions?

Also, I have never replaced a race before. It looks like it is easy to get the old one out, but how do you get the new one in without destroying it? Is there a special tool to tap it in with?

Thanks

5 answers to this question

Phred52

Can't Fish, Yes there IS a "special tool" to install races, It basically replaces "Patience". All you need to do is TAP in the race EVENLY, all around until it is seated and you'll be good to go. My ? to you... the "discoloring" on your races, tan,brown, blue??? Color will tell how HOT its' been. Do you have "Bearing buddies"?? If not, I'd recommend them, they'll offer some forgiveness but NOT a LACK of attention. Too be road safe, I'd be inclined to carry a replacement set of bearings and races plus a packet of bearing grease, JUST TO BE SAFE. Phred52

Pikeslayer

Bearings are cheap and easy to fix at home,NOT on the road!Tap the old race out with what ever works,once you have it out clean the hub real good,use a peace of brass to tap the new one in alittle,make sure its straight,now put the old race ontop of the new race and tap it in.you will feel the new race bottom out.The old race will be set in a little,turn the hub over and tap it out.Easy!!

BIG DS

Quote:

Is there a special tool to tap it in with?

Yup. Bearing and seal driver kit. Available at any parts store. You will still need a punch to knock out the old one. I would strongly recommend replacing the bearing and race. Eventhough you do not feel any pits doesn't mean the hard surface on the race is not damaged. Once the hardsurface on the race starts come apart it doesn't take long before you will have total failure. The shoulder of the road always proves to be a less comfortable place to repair a vehicle then your own garage.

Jeremy airjer W

When in doubt throw it out!!

Shack

I would use air chisel and air punch to get off, and then use a brass punch to fit back on. If you are going to buy anything and have not done this before, a bearing set kit/tool might be your best option.

Good luck!