• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

How deep is too deep?

Blaze

I've been scanning through my GPS and other maps to check out new structure again before hitting ML, and keep finding subtle pieces of structure (points/inside turns) out in 35-40' of water that intrigue me. I've typically fished the 15-30' depths along side or on top of structure during the winter and have never ventured out to the deep stuff, so I thought I'd ask:

• Does anyone fish that deep during the winter?

• Any advice on how to fish deeper structure like that?

• Do fish relate to different types of structure when that deep?

• Am I out of my mind? Wait, don't answer that. smile.gif

Thanks,

Blaze

Oh I'm sure there's eyes roaming around out there that will be hit or miss... But more than likely there's a ton of deep water loving Pout with some Tulibee (Which I personally don't care about)...

For my money it's not worth it... Deep doesn't have much to none for perch day activity... And Getting out to the true depths usually means crossing multiple ridges... Which I'm not a fan of doing.

It's just so much easier to take the good success rate of the closer to shore and Moderate to shallow structure adjacent to the depths.

That's just MHO.

Most are scared to fish in the deep "dead areas" and leave their reefs and mudflats. I however fish the 35 foot plus dead areas quite a bit after Jan. 15th or so. I usually use tip-ups baited with very large suckers suspended anywhere from 5-20 feet off bottom. If I jig, I am usually using jiggin raps, spoons, buckshots, large glow jigs, or Zip lures. I usually tip them with minnow heads, half a minnow, or frozen smelt. Just pick a spot far away from other people and all the noise and commotion of augers, wheelers, snowmobiles, etc. Sometimes I pick a deep water area somewhat close to a reef and fish the deep water edges where you can pick up some real nice fish working their way to the shallower areas to feed. Oh yeah, did I mention the reason I fish these areas is because the fish you catch are in a different class of their own. You will also occasionally tie into some pike and ski's that make your eyes open too. Last year I tied into a pike out in 40 feet of water that looked like he was eating at the all u can eat buffet fairly often. Good luck.

GoggleEye

Good advice to everyone !! Sometime being out "in no man's land" is the key.

Looking forward to getting up there with you in Jan. grin.gif

mille lacs has far to much pressure on it during weekends so this can be a good philosophy but results do vary. I have caught lots of jumbos and big eyes out in nowhere land.

i also enjoy fishing out of the norm once in a while. i mean i wouldnt sit in 36 fow all day waiting for them to roll in... but i would deffinitely move around on deep water out there. you can also get into some very bike pike out there roaming around..... i think my favorite tactic would be to set up a tip up with a very big shiner.... deffinitlely suspended around anywhere from 2 feet off the bottom to 10 feet form the bottom of the ice.... its exactly like trolling deep water and stair steppin your lure. at 5 off the bottom, then 10 then 15 then 20 etc unitll you reacvh about 5 feet to the top of the water..in this case ice ... its all about finding the fish and once you sense a pattern of depth, which is easily detected on your vexilar... it your reading fish ten feet off the bottom every time they roll in our everytime you switch spots then put your bait 12 feet off the bottom.

I troll these areas in summer and do well but it takes a lot of roaming to find a school which will be more difficult in winter. I would suggest using a snowmobile and covering a lot of ground drilling holes and vexing until you find a school. Then place tip ups in all directions from where you are fishing (if enough people) to determine if the school is moving off. Then I would agree that you also need to look at fishing higher in the water column depending on where the fish show up in the vex

Thanks for the input, guys. Goggle - I saw your piggy gallery , so I know you're not making this stuff up. blush.gifgrin.gif

When you guys fish deep like this, are the fish active during the day or do you fish it during prime dawn/dusk hrs?

I've had good luck on winter jumbo perch in "no mans land" out there, talking 30+-37 feet.

The trick is to use a thin-no stretch line, or you'll have a lot of misses on perch. Don't be afraid to get away out there- but it's too early yet. Wait for later in the season or even late ice. Good luck.

Blaze, I fish the deep stuff anytime of the day and night. I get most of my sows late late late into the night or right before or after first light. That's not to say that you can't get them anytime of the day though. When fishing deep, these fish are not spooked or highly pressured, that's what I love about these areas! They are less lure shy than the eyes that are roaming on top of the shallow heavily fished reefs. I like to fish these areas with a camera during the daylight too, it's pretty cool to see a school of 20-30 inch walleyes come in and inspect your bait.

Good luck!

Oh yeah, and I would never lie when giving advice to someone, this site is about helping people, not deceiving others. That is why I like to post pics so people have some visual evidence. Glad you liked the pics! wink.gif

I'll check the calandar for an outing in Jan. Are you thinking one "full " day/eve??. Weekend or during the week???

I'll shoot you an e-mail in the next couple of days. cool.gif

Rodmaker, that is totally up in the air. I like to usually fish a good couple days when I go up to ML, but I am not opposed to doing just one full day starting in the early morning and fishing into the night, depending on how the bite is. If I fish a whole weekend, I usually get up there early on saturday morning and stay until dark on Sunday. I usually just crash at a cheap motel saturday night. We can figure it out when we get closer to January. Shoot me an email. [email protected]

GoggleEye