• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

OSU and who in the Title Game??

Mudcutter

what do people think on this?? I think OSU for sure. The other team who knows. I do think Hawaii deserves some talk as they are unbeaten. Does LSU jump Georgia?? WHo gets in the BCS other than OK from the Big 12?? Now MIZZ and Kansas know what it's like being Michigan or OSU and losing your last game. I even think USC deserves some mention but my gut says it will OSU and LSU tonight when the computer does it's voodoo.

I would agree with you that it will most likely be LSU that meets ohio state in New Orleans. Kansas only has one loss, but they get the shaft because it was so late in the season. Ohio State almost suffered this same fate, but through a series of miracles they are back in the 'ship. Kansas will still get a BCS bowl though. I think USC is pretty much a lock for the rose bowl. All in all a very goofy year, definetly makes something like a four team playoff sound like a good idea.

Imagine how fun it would be too see an 8 team playoff this year? All 8 teams would be fairly equal! The way college football goes about crowning a national champion is one reason why i can't get into it as much as other sports. Its not a true champion. I mean, voters and computers making the decision who plays? How bout settling it on the field. Kansas loses its last game of the year and because of that some 2 loss team that had both losses earlier in the year might get into the big game? Let Kansas, LSU, USC, and teams like Oklahoma make the decision on the field rather that the media.

surely you mean "THEE O S U"

I was just telling the wife how the 8 team playoff would be awesome. 1st round near X-MAS, 2nd Near NEW YEAR, Championship the week after. And you could still have all the other bowl games. I do think they worry about burning the kids out though as the champs would play 2 more games than they do currently.

But, if I had to pick 2 I say Sooners vs. THEE OSU

I must admit-- as much as I hate the BS., I think they got the two teams right. LSU will be playing a glorfied home game, I can see the line in Vegas at around LSU -5.

Hopefully the Buckeyes will show up this year....

Implementing a playoff system would actually be quite easy. Use the bowls that are already in place…though some teams might lose out, because now some teams are getting two and three bowls, it leaves another half dozen teams out. So…the NCAA can get a few new bowls somewhere.

The final BCS top eight, in order:

1. Ohio State

2. LSU

3. Va. Tech

4. Oklahoma

5. Georgia

6. Missouri

7. USC

8. Kansas

In a playoff system, the BCS is not discarded…it is still used for seedings, and for the all-important 8th playoff team. You will still have controversy…for example, as it stands, unbeaten Hawaii is at #10 and would be left out of an 8-team playoff.

So a normal playoff format would have 1 vs 8, 2 vs 7, 3 vs 6, and 4 vs 5. So, our first round – bracketed - is:

Ohio State vs Kansas.

Oklahoma vs Georgia

LSU vs USC

Va Tech vs Missouri

The first round would be played mid-December, taking away the long gap in college football games. Assign these games to different bowls. Cotton, Sugar, whichever ones you want…except for the final three games…

When you get down to the final four, your last three games are the Fiesta Bowl, Orange Bowl, and Rose Bowl. Assign them however you want; rotate them from year to year; whatever. The semi-finals are played on Christmas weekend (along with a few other ‘lesser’ bowls) with the Championship Game on New Years Day (again, along with whatever other ‘lesser’ bowls you want to include).

The upside…every team with a case for a shot at the National Championship – with the possible exception of Hawaii – is in. The downside…the winners end up having to play two extra games to get to the national championship.

I've actually taken it one step farther as I believe it should be a 16 team bracket. All other levels have a 16 team format so no reason why the top level can't as well. I'd set mine up a bit differently than just taking the top 16 though.

There are 11 major conferences in Division 1-A. I would give each conference champion a spot in the playoffs and then invite the top 5 BSC ranked teams who are not conference champions. Benefits of a 16 team format include:

1- Results in a true #1 champion

2- No argument can be made from the mid-level conferences saying they don't get a chance at being a national champion. Remember there was threat of litigation against the NCAA a few year back because the situation then basically shut out any opportunity for mid level teams to play in the BCS game. It was that reason a 5th BCS game, which is our current National Championship game, was added.

3. It still allows 5 strong non conference winners in the playoffs.

4. Non playoff teams would still be allowed to participate in lower level bowls.

This would be my seeding for this season:

1. Ohio State v. 16. Florida Atlantic

8. Kansas v. 9. West Virginia

5. Georgia v. 12. Florida

4. Oklahoma v. 13. BYU

6. Missouri v. 11. Arizona State

3. Va. Tech v. 14. Central Florida

7. USC v. 10. Hawaii

2. LSU v. 15. Central Michigan

I think LSU is going to run right over Ohio State. OSU shouldn't even be there, IMO. They played fewer games than anyone else, so they lost fewer. If the Big 10 won't have a conference championship, they should have one more game on their schedule. Just my two cents.

Who did Hawaii get in the bowl game?

---------------------------

celebrate the blue and yellow dork

Keeping Michael Waltrip championship-less since forever grin.gif

Sugar Bowl game against Georgia.

I'm sure they are disapointed being undefeated and not having a shot at the Natinal Title.

At least Georgia is a good match up for them. I watched 3 Hawaii games this year on tv, their high powered offense is fun to watch.

Quote:

Who did Hawaii get in the bowl game?

I'll give you the short and long answer to it.

The short answer is Hawaii got into a BCS bowl by being ranked in the top 12 of the final BCS poll.

Here's the long answer to the best of my ability: It's all about MONEY.

A few years back the major conferences got together and set up the BCS in an effort to bring together the "two best teams" for a championship game. Well this was all fine and dandy for the major conferences, but it in essence eliminated any school from say the WAC, MAC, etc. from having a chance at either a National Championship or being an at large invitee to a BCS game. The only non BCS team that had an in was Notre Dame, which at the time would get a BCS bid if they were ranked in the top 8. Well with an estimated payout of $14-17 million for a BCS bowl, you can see why the non-BCS conferences were a bit upset, so they threatened litigation against the NCAA and BCS. Of course the major conferences didn't like the thought of losing revenue to a non BCS school. As a result a 5th game was added which is now the National Championship game on top of the 4 BCS games already in place (Orange, Rose, Sugar, Fiesta). With the addition of the 5th game, provisions were put in place to allow on BCS schools an opportunity to get in. As longs as they are ranked in the top 12 of the final BCS standings they will get in. I believe there are other provisions as well, but that is the main one. Also, no conference is allowed more than 2 teams in a BCS bowl.

Jump forward now to the present:

Hawaii is ranked 10th in the BCS so they get in. You could break it down a bit more as to why which other schools did or didn't get in, but I've rambled on enough. If discussions warrant it, I'll add my thoughts there in another post.

By the way, the early line I saw was Georgia by 5.5. If I were in Vegas I'd take that and run as I see a blowout by Georgia, but stranger things have happened.

that's exactly what I and alot others though last year with Boise State and OK. The Wash team they beat after being down 21 twice, is not a bad team. Will they beat Georgia, likely not, But Georgia has not seen a off like HAW other than maybe FL, but Hawaii's QB is much better passer than TEbow.