• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

New Chevy Truck Question

CodyDawg

Question

Does anyone out there have a 6.0L gas in a Chevy? If so, 2 questions how do you like it and what type of mileage are you getting? I am thinking about a new crew cab.

16 answers to this question

Had one in a ext. cab about five years ago. Decent engine but not the best on gas....around 12mpg on average. If anyone says it gets 15+ I'd be leary because on average these engines won't do that consistantly....maybe once every other blue moon. I've read quite a few different opinions and results on Chevy truck message boards about the 6.0L and most have said it's almost better to go with the 8.1L as it doesn't get that much less milage, but you get a LOT more power and a better tranny with the Allison.

Yep, what LmitOut said. I've got two buddies that have the 6.0 gas for work trucks - both get around 12 to 13 mpg. And both are looking at getting diesels next time around.

The new 6.0 is a lot better engine then the ones even from last year,it has been revamped, the engine should be getting closer to 14-15 now. Which is better then Ford or dodge's regular engines. The 8.1 is no longer availible, emissions and lack of interest. As far as the diesels, they are the best on the road the only downfall is about the 7500 dollar price difference between the two. That can buy a lot of gas.

If know the "new" 6.0 liter is supposed to be more efficient. I think it now has the cylinder deactivation, etc..

If you are going diesels, I know P_pular M_chanics just did a comparo between the 3 domestics and their new HD diesels. The Ch_vy won hands down. It was quicker and got better gas mileage. In their test it got 18mpg in normal driving (I am assuming that is HWY) and 10.5 when towing. So you may want to look at their test, which is in the Dec issue. Hope this helps!

CJH

I've had a 04 3/4t with the 6L crew cab for a year now and have got 12-14 consistantly on hwy, a little worse when piddling around, pulling the boat i'm down to 9-10 and the boat is a 17' lund angler, my pick up before that was a 03 1/2 ton ext. cab with the 5.3 and it got 15-18 mpg and 11-14 pulling the boat depending on wind and terrain. I do notice the extra power when pulling the boat with the 6L, but it isn't that much, ...My ol man's 06 3/4 ton duramax can pull that boat around and you don't even know it's there. The reason I upgraded was because it had low miles and I wanted a crew cab with the 6.5' box. If I was faced with the decision to trade the 1/2t for the 3/4t i'd do it again, almost every mile I put on during the spring/summer/fall i'm towing the boat and I like knowing there's a little more beef for all that pulling.

CJH,

I know all about diesels, I have one now. I just cannot justify the extra $$ up front and the extra $$ at the pump. I have considered the Ford Super Duty V-10 as well. It looks pretty similar mileage wise, mebbe a tad worse. I just cannot find the motor that I really like. I only want to replace what I already have in terms of power/mileage but it doesn't look like I can. It looks like I gotta pick between worse mileage, worse power, or both.

I don't blame you. The diesels are spendy!!!!! Pricewise, who knows what gas and or diesel are going to do. That's the golden question! I have family in the gas business and they aren't sure what's going to happen.

As far as the 5.3 vs the 6.0, I've driven them both, and I didn't think it was a huge difference. Its a hard compromise, there's not a perfect answer. Wish I had one for you!

My old 2002 Chev with the 6. ltre would get 14 at best, but a good motor with lots of power.

I am currently running a 2007 GMC 3/4 ton "new body" style

with the new 6 ltre and the 6-speed tranny with 3.73 gears, boy major improvement. I have 27,000 miles on it. I realy like it. Fuel economy is, and beleive it or not. 17-18 on the freeway running 70 mph, possibly pickup 1 or 2 at 60 mph.

In town running around 15 mpg. I have been getting this consistent mileage since the day I picked it up. Lots and lots of power and snap. Only one down side is the 6 speed tranny, takes alot of time to get the feel for it. You never know what its going to do.

Chode: I am guessing that your 6.0 has the engine that disengages 4 cyclinders. I have a 2007 GMC Crew Cab SLT (1/2 ton) with the 5.3 L engine that disengages the 4 cylinders. I consistently get 18-19.5 mpg on the highway. The key to the good mileage seems to be keeping the RPMs at or under 2000. You can still drive 70 MPH at 2000 RPM. In the city I am getting 16 mpg.

The thing that really surprised me was the mileage I got pulling my boat down 94 from the St. Joseph area. I have a Lund Explorer 1800 with a 150 Hp motor and I got 16.8 mpg on the freeway. The MPG drop some on non-freeway roads but it was still better than I expected.

Are you guys looking at your overhead computer to check mileage or you do calculations by hand ?

On my LMM the mileage is the same if I hand calculate it or read it from the DIC. Running around town I get 13.6mpg, out on the hwy somewhere around 17-20mpg.

I have a 2000 3/4 ton, long box. About 100,000 miles on it now. It has consistently run about 12mpg, slightly less when towing. Its been a great truck, the only thing I've replaced is the fuel pump at 95k. Hands down the best riding truck I've ever owned.

My 2000 6.0 gets 14 hwy since day one, but it has plenty of power. I have regularly pulled a T250 bobcat around with it. Milage dropped off to about 8 then.