• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

lake grace in chaska

Does anyone know any depths, lake maps of lake grace in chaska. I live right by it but always neglect to ice fish it in the winter. I am looking for someone that has fished there before or is going to fish it too hook up sometime for a couple hours and fish it sometime. I know a couple spots to hit on it but never tried them in the winter.

thanks,

J

I have fished it before but not on the ice. I would be more than happy to go out though sometime and figure it out on the ice. Shoot me an e-mail andrew_groskreutz at yahoo.com

That thar lake used to hold the state record (White?) crappie a couple of years back- albeit for a short period of time.

It is definetely prone to winterkill, but it can produce decent classes of crappies and bass given the right stretch of years.

Try this link for a map of the largest, southernmost basin.

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/lakefind/showmap.html?mapid=C2901

I worked at Oak Ridge back in high school and would have better luck after school fishing the two basins north of the one in the map, especially around early spring with high water in the little pool near the discharge areas.

Who knows what you'll find out there now? I bet a lot of bullheads and maybe a mixed bag? Good luck.

i actually have iced it once before and had some hits but never got anything i think they where dink perch or sunnies.

i wonder if you could safely eat the fish out of there because of the baddd water quality in there this summer, did you see it, it was nasty...a lot of blue-green algae.

Me and a buddy iced fished it early last year and came up empty. We didn't really give it a fair shot because the

fl-8 decided to run out of batteries right in the beginning. Someone really pounded that lake last year because when we went down there, their were holes drilled about every five feet on the main lake. Never done real good there for bass other than a few dinks. The crappie and sunfish number and size seem to be growing. It can be a nice little lake to go down to in the spring to catch a few crappie's on the fly rod. I know that there is at least one walleye in the lake because it decided to bite my bass spinner last summer. Surprisingly it was a pretty healthy fish at 17" 2.5 lbs. I have never heard that it used to hold the state record white crappie, that is interesting.

How many years back is a few for that record? I remember when Whaletail got destroyed when that had the record crappie come out of it. I have caught bluegills out of it. A couple of mutated ones at that. crazy.gif

Yea, Whaletail was a fantastic lake 10 + years ago........then the Crappie secret got out, and the milfoil came in, that lake has not been the same. Can still produce some very, very nice crappies and bass, and some big northerns too. But just not the same anymore.

Whaletail is just north of St. Boni, in Minnetrista...........not sure about the mutated fish...........I know the some of the crappies out there were s big the they looked mutated with the humpback heads.........nothin wrong with them, just big.

Whaletail is a nice little lake, I wish it was as good as it used to be. There's still the occational big crappie caught, but most are pretty small 4-7" crappies. I have tried a few times on the ice out there and never caught anything but dinks.

I never heard of Grace putting out a state record crappie, but could be true I suppose, I am to lazy to check with the DNR.

Quote:

Me and a buddy iced fished it early last year and came up empty. We didn't really give it a fair shot because the

fl-8 decided to run out of batteries right in the beginning. Someone really pounded that lake last year because when we went down there, their were holes drilled about every five feet on the main lake. Never done real good there for bass other than a few dinks. The crappie and sunfish number and size seem to be growing. It can be a nice little lake to go down to in the spring to catch a few crappie's on the fly rod. I know that there is at least one walleye in the lake because it decided to bite my bass spinner last summer. Surprisingly it was a pretty healthy fish at 17" 2.5 lbs. I have never heard that it used to hold the state record white crappie, that is interesting.

That was me that drilled the holes.

The lake has nothing but dinks in it. I am never going back.