• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2 LC Reports (3 pics)

My buddy Nick and I hi-tailed it to Lake City Marina this past Friday morning. On previous trips, gills were a pest, so we adopted a plastics only arsenal. Nick went with a Cutom Jigs & Spins Ratso and I opted for the JB Lures Gem’n’eye tipped with a Little Atom Nuggie. Neither of us changed baits all day. Really no need too.

ty_crappie1.jpg

The crappies would give you a nice pop as they gulped in your lure. FISH-ON. We had 4 that went over 12.75” and another half dozen that were an inch or so smaller. Plenty of dinks in the mix as well.

nick_crappies3.jpg

All fish were released today.

On Sunday I shared the docks with Rugbyguy and we had very similar results as the above. I fished the same pink/white (Glow) JB Lures Gem’n’eye and a LA Nuggie. I caught fish on both glow green and glow purple colors. The key (for me) was to fish these nuggies in a vertical fashion. Once in a while I’d miss a hit which pulled the plastic down the hook making it a horizontal bait and once that happened the hits stopped. Reel up, push the plastics back on the hook for a vertical profile, and WAHAMO. A few gills were mixed in today, but the focus was crappies. If you’re looking for gills, they wouldn’t leave a waxie alone. Got crappies up to an honest 13” today. 10 “eater sized” crappies between the 2 of us. We’re not doing major numbers of these larger fish, but they are big.

ty_crappies1.jpg

There was really no consistent depth that held the larger fish. Some would be 2’ off the bottom, some 10’. I don’t think I fished in less than 11’ and went as deep as 21’ On Friday the crappies would chase after your bait and slam it; on Sunday it you had to put it right on their nose and they would hit it immediately.

I love hunting under the docks. I think we’ve passed the peak of our marina fishing, but there’s still a few around for the persistent.

Ty after having fished those docks and the marina every fall for the past 8 or so years I will take you out when it is real prime time. In my opinion....it hasn't even started yet.....

To speak of it, I'll share my first experience of the lake city marina with ya. WAY back in the day when I was eleven years old and my uncle introduced me to crappie fishing in that marina. It was the day after thanksgiving and I was sick with pneumonia but I wanted to fish. We got there at about 2 in the afternoon and left and about 5 at night right as it was gettin dark. We both ended up catching out limit that night. We made plenty more trips over there through december and the bite never stopped.

Awesome report Tyler. I might have to give that a try in the next week or so. I can't wait for first ice! Won't be long now. smile.gif

Quote:

Ty after having fished those docks and the marina every fall for the past 8 or so years I will take you out when it is real prime time. In my opinion....it hasn't even started yet.....

Hanson, I'd take you up on that offer.

Tried the docks yesterday for an hour and got skunked. Didn't figure there was a reason to spend anymore time out there.

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• mulefarm
      With the early ice out, how is the curlyleaf pondweed doing?
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   The big basin, otherwise known as Big Traverse Bay, is ice free.  Zippel Bay and Four Mile Bay are ice free as well.  Everything is shaping up nicely for the MN Fishing Opener on May 11th. With the walleye / sauger season currently closed, most anglers are targeting sturgeon and pike.  Some sturgeon anglers are fishing at the mouth of the Rainy River, but most sturgeon are targeted in Four Mile Bay or the Rainy River.  Hence, pike are the targeted species on the south shore and various bays currently.   Pike fishing this time of year is a unique opportunity, as LOW is border water with Canada, the pike season is open year round. The limit is 3 pike per day with one being able to be more than 40 inches. All fish 30 - 40 inches must be released. Back bays hold pike as they go through the various stages of the spawn.  Deadbait under a bobber, spinners, spoons and shallow diving crankbaits are all viable options.   Four Mile Bay, Bostic Bay and Zippel Bay are all small water and boats of various sizes work well. On the Rainy River...  Great news this week as we learned sturgeon will not be placed on the endangered species list by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.     The organization had to make a decision by June 30 and listing sturgeon could have ended sturgeon fishing.  Thankfully, after looking at the many success stories across the nation, including LOW and the Rainy River, sturgeon fishing and successful sturgeon management continues.   A good week sturgeon fishing on the Rainy River.  Speaking to some sturgeon aficionados, fishing will actually get even better as water temps rise.     Four Mile Bay at the mouth of the Rainy River near the Wheeler's Point Boat Ramp is still producing good numbers of fish, as are various holes along the 42 miles of navigable Rainy River from the mouth to Birchdale.   The sturgeon season continues through May 15th and resumes again July 1st.   Oct 1 - April 23, Catch and Release April 24 - May 7, Harvest Season May 8 - May 15, Catch and Release May 16 - June 30, Sturgeon Fishing Closed July 1 - Sep 30, Harvest Season If you fish during the sturgeon harvest season and you want to keep a sturgeon, you must purchase a sturgeon tag for $5 prior to fishing.    One sturgeon per calendar year (45 - 50" inclusive, or over 75"). Most sturgeon anglers are either a glob of crawlers or a combo of crawlers and frozen emerald shiners on a sturgeon rig, which is an 18" leader with a 4/0 circle hook combined with a no roll sinker.  Local bait shops have all of the gear and bait. Up at the NW Angle...  A few spots with rotten ice, but as a rule, most of the Angle is showing off open water.  In these parts, most are looking ahead to the MN Fishing Opener.  Based on late ice fishing success, it should be a good one.  
    • leech~~
      Nice fish. I moved to the Sartell area last summer and just thought it was windy like this everyday up here? 🤭
    • Rick G
      Crazy windy again today.... This is has been the norm this spring. Between the wind and the cold fronts, fishing has been more challenging for me than most years.  Panfish have been moving in and out of the shallows quite a bit. One day they are up in the slop, the next they are out relating to cabbage or the newly sprouting lilly pads.  Today eye guy and I found them in 4-5 ft of water, hanging close to any tree branches that happened to be laying in the water.  Bigger fish were liking a 1/32 head and a Bobby Garland baby shad.   Highlight of the day way this healthy 15incher
    • monstermoose78
    • monstermoose78
      As I typed that here came a hen.  IMG_7032.mov   IMG_7032.mov
    • monstermoose78
      So far this morning nothing but non turkeys. 
    • monstermoose78
      Well yesterday I got a little excited and let a turkey get to close and I hit the blind!!
    • smurfy
      good......you?? living the dream..in my basement playing internet thug right now!!!!!! 🤣 working on getting the boat ready.......bought a new cheatmaster locator for the boat so working on that.   waiting for warmer weather to start my garden!!!
    • monstermoose78
      How is everyone doing? Holy moly it’s chilly this morning I stayed in bed and will hunt later today when it warms up.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.