• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

The Deb Radosevich Burntside Bash

If everything goes according to plan, Cheffery, Quickstrike, myself and a few friends will be fishing on Friday as well. We are all staying at the Paddle and are leaving Duluth at the buttcrack of dawn.

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Steve Foss

• Northlander

• Tom Linderholm

• JustinG

Well guy's and gals Deb is going to Chris Jensen nursing home this week we will try very hard to get her to the Bash. She is looking forward to going she told frank she was going to win, Well we told her she has already won you are still here and she smiled. Deb told me today that what you all are doing is awesome and we need to get thank you mailed out A.S.A.P. Tom. I said to her that she can post a thank you and she said good idea we will have to do that soon. I tell Deb about the post daily and she said you have some good friend. What can one say to that I thank you all for your support for Deb. God Bless you and your families from us to you all.

Hovermn and myself will be up there friday sometime, I think he is planning on hitting the pond on the way up and depending on fishing we might come up thursday night. Hope to see you all there and good luck to everyone.

I believe our crew is leaving Duluth before sunrise on Friday, dropping the grill and heading out to tangle with some trout.

I should be up around noonish, also staying at the Paddle.

Would love to get on the lake with others fri. afternoon.

I'll be out and about mingling, fishing and enjoying the Bash. Some new and old friends to see. Hoping it won't be as cold next weekend as what they are forecasting for this weekend.

Shiner, it will be the week off for the Patriots to figure out how to outscore the Pack by 40 instead of 30 ;\)grin.gif

i am done with class at 2 if anybody wants to go out around then... so does anyone want to team up with a newbie on burntside lol

You can fish with us any time frank and I would like to help you out. Just let us now when you are going to show up. I would like to say for us that are going friday what time are we going to be at the landing and if we set a time we all can hook up and go where we are going and help every one out. This would help allot out we need to set a time and go fish. We need to help others out to find some fish, Well I now frank will step in and say what are you doing up so late for, Well he told me where to go last year and I did good so he is the laker God on Burntside So listen when he talks he nows Best and you will get a fish or two wright mark. Well you guy's set the time and frank and I will be-there. I did not keep a fish last year and if you need fish let me now and you can have mine, I do not need lake trout.

Tom, I like the idea of meeting Friday morning at the landing. Sort of a mini-pre-Bash thing. That way we can put those without a lot of experience on Bside onto known fish-producing spots.

One good thing, this cold snap starting tomorrow and running at least through the weekend will tighten everything up and keep making ice.

Steve that sounds like a great idea I only hope that I can get Lisa to buy in to the plan grin.gif I have let it be known to Lisa that I would like to get in a good day of fishing on friday as saturday is going to be a little more social. Just let me know what time and we can plan accordingly. I am not a putz when diving so would anybody have a good estimate of how long it will take to get to Burntside from Carlton ?

Jim, not sure about Carlton, but it's a bit over two hours from Duluth to Burntside on good roads and with no stops.

Let's not set a time to meet just yet. I want to wait to see when Frank and his bunch plan on hitting the landing, and then we can decide a good time. I DO recommend 8 a.m. or earlier. Lakers on Bside tend to snap best in the morning, as a very general rule, so wasted morning daylight is REALLY wasted time.

But let's wait and see.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

We'll be up there sometime Fri morning for Bash Eve. This being our 6th Annual Burntside Bash, we're learning the lake some. So there'll be quite a few members to draw from that information well.

If you don't see Stfcatfish and I hanging around the landing Fri morning we might be out in the HQ area. Bring your radios and we'll use channel 7.

If your new the to Lake Trout fishing have a read of the Laker Gear & Tactics thread.

I plan on leaving mid day on Friday and will have my big house up there and will park it whereever the powers to be say I should. I will be staying in it over night.

One question, I have never been there and was wondering what the landing was like or what kind of hills I need to go down and back up the get to it.

stfcatfish, When I get there, I will just park at the landing until you guys tell me where you want me.

tc, a description of the landing is in the final bash details thread. It's hilly, with one fairly sharp turn, but Joel got his monster sleeper down to the landing (and back out again with a 4x4 pickup) with no trouble last year. Also, contractors hauling trailers across the ice to jobs all winter use that access, though there was not a road plowed yet last weekend (smart!).

OK, for those who want to fish bright and early Friday morning, I'll be at the landing by 8 a.m. Bring maps, and I can put you on some good spots for starters. Other than the monster 6-foot maps that some of us have (thanks, Finns!), which are way too big to use on-ice anyway, the best bet is the Sportsmans Connection book of maps for St. Louis County. The little single plastic maps of Bside aren't very good because the lake is just too big.

Quote:
I only hope that I can get Lisa to buy in to the plan

I AM NOT a morning person! I try but with not alot of success!

We just bought that map book too. We'll be at the landing at 8 am. Jim just ordered me a Jason Mitchell rod a couple days ago and a good "laker lovin'" friend is stopping by today to give tips and secret "stuff". \:D

I'll be leaving Friday morning from St. Paul and should be there before noon. I don't have a sled or wheeler so I am hoping that I will be able to drive my 1/2 ton on the ice by then if not I'll be fishing near the landing Friday afternoon.

Cheffrey, I'm not sure if you wanted me to bring my weber and a couple of pork loins to donate and add to what you are bringing or not. Let me know will ya. I'm more than happy to do it. \:\)

chaff, people likely will be driving on the ice by then. We've got a foot of ice now in most places, with slush near shore and in a few other spots but very cold weather coming for several days in a row. Most of the slush is shallow without a lot of snow on it, and this cold will tighten it all up and start making ice 24/7. It's getting below zero tonight, with night-time lows this weekend approaching -30 and highs still below zero. Last two weeks of Jan and first two weeks of Feb are historically the coldest of the winter up here, and the cold snap is coming right on schedule. I'd expect 18 inches of ice in most places by Bash day.

That being said, there will be NO parking of cars/trucks/SUVs on the ice near HQ. At past Bashes, some have pulled off the ice road and parked along the shoreline as well as in the lot, but you do that at your own risk. While the ice might be OK for truck travel, parking numbers of vehicles all in one area will be an invitation to disaster, and we won't be having that! grin.gifgrin.gif

MAn am I hoping vehicle travel is possible. I'm trying to line up some sort of off-road vehicle, but it ain't going so well.

We should be up there around 2-3pm depending on travel times. We're also at the Paddle Inn so there might be some strategizing going on......oh wait....most of that happens at the Wabbit?!? crazy.gif

Stroke, any strategizing that goes on at the Wabbit is long forgotten by morning. grin.gifgrin.gif

Here's the latest extended Ely forecast from the NWS. Now, THAT'S making ice! grin.gifgrin.gif

This Afternoon: A 40 percent chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 20. West wind between 5 and 10 mph.

Tonight: A 30 percent chance of snow before midnight. Mostly cloudy, with a low around -11. West wind around 5 mph becoming calm.

Thursday: Partly sunny, with a high near 7. Calm wind.

Thursday Night: A 30 percent chance of snow showers after midnight. Mostly cloudy, with a low around -16. Wind chill values as low as -36. West wind between 5 and 10 mph, with gusts as high as 15 mph.

Friday: A 40 percent chance of snow showers, mainly before noon. Mostly cloudy and cold, with a high near -7. North wind around 15 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph.

Friday Night: Scattered flurries. Mostly cloudy, with a low around -28.

Saturday: Partly sunny and cold, with a high near -13.

Saturday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around -28.

Sunday: Mostly sunny and cold, with a high near -8.

Sunday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around -17.

M.L.King Day: Mostly sunny and cold, with a high near 2.

Monday Night: A slight chance of snow. Partly cloudy, with a low around -16.

Tuesday: Mostly sunny and cold, with a high near 2.

Originally Posted By: chaffmj

Cheffrey, I'm not sure if you wanted me to bring my weber and a couple of pork loins to donate and add to what you are bringing or not. Let me know will ya. I'm more than happy to do it. \:\)

Bring them up! There will be plenty of room on our grill so dont worry bout the weber.

Finns, I predict the weather will moderate a bit for

Bash day. Heck, extended forecasts aren't worth burning the electrons it takes to post them online, anyway, just a frame of reference so we can make fun of the weather forecasters later when they get it wrong. grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Quote:
Bring them up! There will be plenty of room on our grill so dont worry bout the weber.

Ok. I have one that weighs 8.5 lbs and the other one is 11.5 lbs. Do you need me to bring buns for turning these into sandwhiches or anything else?

I still might bring my weber for a little BBQ on the ice early Friday night. grin.gif

Originally Posted By: Powerstroke
MAn am I hoping vehicle travel is possible. I'm trying to line up some sort of off-road vehicle, but it ain't going so well.

We should be up there around 2-3pm depending on travel times. We're also at the Paddle Inn so there might be some strategizing going on......oh wait....most of that happens at the Wabbit?!? crazy.gif

Powerstroke, I'll be up there about that time, unless I decide to head up Thurs night. If you still don't have transportation on the ice, I'll help out. I'll have my wheeler and an extra tow bar that I made to haul another sled behind mine. We can do modifications if needed. I'll know for sure when I'm heading up by next Tues. or so. Either way, I'd be happy to help out - inexchange for some "Laker" advise. crazy.gif

For those who dont have maps of Burntside the Navionics Premium North Chip has Burntside on it with pretty good detail. Thats all we used last year and got onto some fish just by looking for fishy looking territory. I used it in my H2Oc.

Ill be up at the landing at about 9am or so on Friday. Also staying at the FM Paddle Inn.