• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

The Deb Radosevich Burntside Bash

Hey all:

The organizers of this year's Sixth Annual Burntside Bash on January 26 have given it a new name.

Surface Tension, Chunkytrout and I have re-named it the Deb Radosevich Burntside Bash and have dedicated it to the significant other of a good friend to all on this board — Skippers Kid. The idea came from FM's Wanderer, who e-mailed me yesterday with the suggestion. Thanks, Tracy!

For those of you who have been following the thread on this same board about Deb, you know what her condition is, how long she's been in the hospital and what a difficult physical, spiritual and financial toll this has taken and will continue to take on her — and the whole family.

Her physicians are taking care of her physical care, and the FM family here has offered its spiritual support for these past couple of months. That leaves the financial side of things. After 40+ days in the hospital, well, you can figure out how hard that part is, so now we're going to give them some help in that arena, too.

In re-naming this and dedicating it to her, we are also going to donate the proceeds of the Bash to her, and will accept donations in the form of checks written to Debbie Radosevich from those many, many of you who can't make the Bash but still want to help out. Anyone who wants to can mail those checks to me at: Steve Foss, 57 W. Chandler, Ely, MN 55731. Or Frank DeLuca, 5382 Jentoft Rd, Saginaw, MN, 55779 and of course if any of you see us walking around and want to donate, just hand it over to us and we'll keep it safe until the time is right.

And the time will be right at this year's Bash, which will be on Jan. 26 on Burntside Lake. We're not planning any admission fee, but we will be charging a donation to Deb for folks to get in on the drawing for all those prizes we give away each year. Cheffrey also has generously donated his chef skills, and we will be offering some type of brat or other meat combo plate for $5 or so, which will mean a lot of folks won't have to bring their own food and prepare it themselves. And, lastly, anyone who wants to make a separate donation at the Bash can simply give it to Surface Tension, Chunkytrout or I.

All the aforementioned money will go to Deb.

So, friends, as well as coming to the best event on ice and pursuing the most aggressive fish under the ice in North America, you can help out one of our own FM family.

See you all at the Deb Radosevich Burntside Bash! grin.gifgrin.gif

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Steve Foss

• Northlander

• Tom Linderholm

• Jim Almquist

That has a nice ring to it! It's always nice when an event like this has another "purpose". Kinda gets people fired up for a good cause.

Good idea Wanderer, and good work to those in charge.

I have been slightly involved in a couple benefits recently and know that there are some ways that the donations can be tax deductible. One such way for small business owners was to post a sign (even a business card) and deduct a donation as advertising. I'll ask those people who have been in charge how that and other deductibility ideas worked. If donations can be deductible it makes giving easier and increases the bottom line.

I also learned that a raffle can be illegal unless you have it under the organization of an entity permitted to have them. In one case, the benefit was held at a fire department and the proceeds were gifted from the department to the intended receipient. You may need to contact such an organization.

I'll try to learn and post later.

I am told that the best source of info was at the Dept. of Alcohol & Gambling Division at State of MN.

Im very glad to see this happen.

I would be glad to donate a few goodies to be raffled off.

See everyone at the bash.

Steve My check in the Mail and I will be at the Bash. If you guys need Help Let me know. Jack

When Steve approached me on this, it was a no brainer. I know I'm not the most "present" person on this board anymore and I appreciate the "formal" reference of me but.....YOU PEOPLE HAVE MADE THE BASH WHAT IT IS. I just crammed 20 odd people in my 6x8 until the floor collapsed and that was the beginning of that six years ago. Since then we introduced alot of people into the laker ritual and made alot of friends. THAT my friends is what it's all about. Now, one of our family members could use some help and I can think of no better way than to dedicate this bash to Deb and Skippers Kid. They're going to need all the help they can get. So I urge you to join us for a weekend of fun, frolicking (STF spelling?), sportsmanship, and giving to those in need. Last year was the first time I fished the bash in two years and some of you may remember my partner and I caught the only stocker. It not only resembled a football, it immitated one. But, I missed taking people out to spots and chatting with folks so this year I'll be machine bound. If you're walking in from the landing and need a spot and/or transport, I'll be there. I had alot of fun doing that in the years before. Folks, this year's bash is a little special. If you want to come out and learn icing lakers or are a veteran, here's a great time to do it and hopefully make a difference in a fishing family members life. Cheers and see you on the ice.

Ideas are good, but actions are great!

I don't know Tom or Deb but its easy to see they're thought highly of. It seemed like an easy door to open for FMers to act and make a real difference when its needed. Its obvious so many care.

Thanks for running with this Steve, Frank and Chunky. cool.gif

Steve,

Just let me know if you need help. I still have that nice prize that I would like to donate.

Just holler if you need help.

Justin

Thanks Justin. We'll see how it goes. And I'll take that prize donation off your hands whenever you feel like making the transfer.

Anytime you would like to swing by my house and pick it up, Steve...The prize is all yours!

Give me a call @ 6710

Justin

Great event, Great people, Great fishing, great fun, and now its made better to support a great cause. See you there!

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Behold the power of the Burntside Bash.

Six years ago Chunky gave life to this event. New friendships were made. We knew then that we'd have to gather on the ice again for what is the Bash. The theme has always been comradery on the ice. Its pretty easy to coordinate an event thats built on that foundation. Sure we try and add a few bells and whistles to the Bash. This year that will be much the same but with the chance to help raise a few bucks for Deb. As always, we need you there, its you that help make the Bash what it is. Maybe just maybe Deb will have progressed enough to make an appearance. Before I forget theres fishing too, of the Laker variety. We've been know to pick a fight with one, sometimes we win. smile.gif

We look forward to seeing you all there.

I wandered through a couple of the bait/tackle stores today in Ely and planted some prize donation seeds. Explained how this year's Bash would be different and what we are working to accomplish.

If anyone has prizes they think would be nice additions, or if you know retailers/wholesalers in your towns who you feel comfortable approaching about donating prizes of their own (we're not talking new pickups here, it can be small), feel free. Just shoot me or Frank an e-mail if you have something and we'll start collecting what we can before the Bash and gathering the rest on Bash day.

Thanks for the help, everyone. grin.gifgrin.gif

I already gathered some nice raffle prizes. Lots of people have mailed me that they are willing to donate as well.

Well Well What can one say you all the best of friends after seeing this post I was speech less and felt like crying. I can not believe the support hear on this site. I told Deb what you all had in mind for here and she gives you all a big thumbs up. Hats off to you all what can I say but a big thank you from Deb and I and Austen we love you all as well. I hope joel makes it this year with his house so I can take Deb up and out on the Ice. We will be-there one way or another. Well again FMer's Thank you for what you are doing laugh.gif.

Tom your more than welcome and tel Deb Carrie and I say Hi and see her soon.

Tom, it's our pleasure. grin.gif

I'm hoping to put the arm on Joel again this year regarding the banner. If I recall, he supplied that last year.

Didnt he give the banner to Frank or somebody? I have a nice Banner from him that has a walleye on it. wink.gif

Says welcome to a Fishing Mn. event. We can use that if needed.

The grommets on last year's banner tore out in the wind, as I recall. I'm hoping we can get another one made with the words "Deb Radosevich Burntside Bash HQ" on it.

For anyone who makes out a check to mail out to me or Frank as a donation, please write the check to Debbie Radosevich.

And thanks again, everyone! grin.gif

I also want to emphasize that, while the benefit is a fun part of this year's bash and there will be a lot of talk about it, this Bash started as a simple way for people to get together, have a good time and fish for the wonderful lake trout. I am gratified to have been one of the original 13 who crowded into Chunkytrout's permanent shack and broke the floor (it didn't break until unlucky No. 13 Northlander, with his 270 lb frame, stepped in grin.gif).

That great fun is still what this is about. So come and fish. Learn about lakers. Have an outstanding time. Connect with other FMers, who are the best bunch anywhere.

And if you feel like being part of a benefit, do so. If not, come have fun anyway. This has been for five years one outstanding gathering because of the people who come gather. grin.gifgrin.gif

All that being said, I'll be donating a matted, mounted, signed and framed image of the Black Wolf of the Fernberg for the drawing. You can see an example of the image here.

It'll be great to see a bunch of people who have become good friends at this Bash. People I only see once or twice a year. People I've come to value. Skipper's Kid, I'll even show you my prime spot. I'm getting excited already. I'm hoping to get one more day's hunting in this weekend to fill my antlerless tag, but I've already got my Vex charged, my auger tuned and my Fish Trap patched from last year's tears in the canvas.

Got ice, anyone? grin.gifgrin.gif

stfcatfish

I have called a bunch of times with no answer, i would be the one with the az phone number on your caller ID.. still have that cell lol.. I need to drop off the flies i made for the prize for BBash..

Well, are you sure it's the right #? It's (218) 235-1147. If I don't answer, just leave a message and I'll get back to you. I always turn it off when I'm out shooting photos or hunting, so it's off as much as it's on.

"I am gratified to have been one of the original 13 who crowded into Chunkytrout's permanent shack and broke the floor (it didn't break until unlucky No. 13 Northlander, with his 270 lb frame, stepped in grin.gif)."

I think it had more to do with you and Poutslayer standing side by side next to a barrel. wink.gif Ya that was a riot for sure. grin.gif

Thanks for the awesome donation Steve. That will look real nice on some lucky FMers wall.

The Bash is always fun and every year we have at least one event that sticks in your mind for a lifetime. See everyone there.

Oh and it looks like I have a room open for the Bash at the FMers INN.(Paddle Inn) The people who were going to stay in it are going to some Big Ice Contest in Brainard instead. crazy.gif