• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

The Deb Radosevich Burntside Bash

Stcatfish,

Thank you for the driving update. I know you are not giving any recommendations as far as driving but I'm wondering how mobile a guy can be with a 1/2 ton 4x4. Are there any roads plowed and how much snow is on the lake?

Thanks,

Mike

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Steve Foss

• Northlander

• Tom Linderholm

• JustinG

Mike, there were no roads on Sunday. There's not much loose snow on the ice. It's mostly packed down hard by melt, wind and re-freeze. That makes for great mobility regardless of your mode of travel. As to how mobile a full-size pickup will be, that depends on how much you want to risk hitting thinner ice. I have no doubt pockets of thin ice are out there somewhere. They are most years on Bside.

I said in the previous post I'd check later today to see if there's been a road plowed since Sunday, so I'll let you know.

Steve

Thanks for the info. With three guys in a truck, you can accumulate a lot of gear. It would be nice to leave sleds athome. We fished B-side 4 years ago in Feb and were able to drive out.

Thanks again

Nick

I hear you, Nick. This is typically the coldest three-week period of the year, and by, say, the second weekend in February we probably will have two solid feet of ice, barring heavy snow. It's just a little early for that kind of ice.

Dont risk it! If you have sleds or wheelers bring them. We dont need anyone getting hurt because they decided they didnt want to haul extra gear. It would surely put a huge damper on the Bash, and we would all feel like **** if someone got hurt or worse yet died when there vehicle went through.

JustinG,

Are you headed up to Manitou???

If you are, I'd be happy to give you a few tips from our trip last Feb. that would give you a few places to start.

Thanks for all the help and info thus far stf cat! Is it incredibly far to walk from parking area to hq or a good spot? Ill probably do it even if its an insane walk!!!

I remember from last year, that the parking was limited…..so I’m guessing it’s best to park out on the lake?

Oh ok! From whats been said, i didnt know that was an option. Sounds good! Now I have to convince my buddy going north with me this weekend to forget about walleyes for now, we're chasing lakers this weekend. Only another hour north anyway!

Just remember that there will be NO parking at HQ! The ice is not thick enough to support a bunch of cars and trucks in one spot.

Steve,

Wanderer's donation has been delivered to the Great Outdoors. You can pick it up over there whenever you like!

Thanks,

Justin

actually I was asking.....

FishOn, it's a very short walk out to headquarters and or decent fishing.

Sorry Dtro, didn't see your "?" grin.gif Steve had mentioned earlier that he didn't think it would be a good idea.

Thanks, Justin. I'll be in to pick it up if the old fart hasn't checked it into his inventory and put it on the shelf yet. grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

FishOn, it's only about a 100 yard walk across the ice to HQ, and it's all packed down so towing is easy. The whole south shore of Van Vac bay is good laker fishing if they're snapping that day, and those on foot typically spread out along the 40-60 foot mark up and down Van Vac. There's also good water just across the shortest part of the bay to the far shore, which is about 1/4 to 1/2 mile, and again it's all packed down so it's not as much of a walk as it might seem.

There were full-sized pickups with snowmobile trailers parked about 10 yards out on the ice this afternoon instead of in the parking lot. You'll all understand that I'm not in a position to recommend anyone do that, and I will re-emphasize that we don't want anyone parking by HQ.

There should be no reason for anyone to walk anywhere on the lake. There will be a few of us that will transport you and your gear to HQ or a location to fish. My guess is that someone will ask you if your with the FM group and ask you if you would like a ride.

I will spend my day transporting people out on the ice if it's needed. Were all there for the same reason. Helping each other out with transportation, info on how to fish Lakers or what ever the case may be.

Thanks, Tom. I'm unable to make that offer, but it's nice that you're able to do that. Cool! grin.gifgrin.gif

Man, it's been a long buildup with a lot of organizing and other details to get in order, but I'll tell you . . . I'm starting to feel distinctly BASHFULL! A shame it's gonna be too warm for me to wear my Ivanna Humpalot hat. We'll have to settle for Frank's ancient muskrat tuque. grin.gif

I'm sure we've forgotten a detail or two, but it'll all be good. I've gotta say, this is a great bunch of folks, and this Bash is going to be the best one yet. I'm taking this opportunity to thank everyone who has donated prizes, who has had an idea to make the Bash better they've shared with Frank or I, and who will be coming to the Bash on Saturday (not to mention those of you who couldn't come but mailed checks for Deb anyway.)

We've even got the weatherperson on our side. grin.gifgrin.gif

I guess I will be riding up with Cheffrey, so I no longer have trailer or vehicle space, but it sounded like everyone had made arrangments already anyways. Man the bash crept up fast! See you guys in 36 hours!

Fishkid just to let you know that I am planning on giving you a ride out Friday around the 8:00 if you are still going to be there early. We will talk fishing at the access with everyone else and make a game plan from there. If you read my post I will be making a big batch of sloppy joes and you are more then welcome to chow down some. If we have cell service I will give you my cell # or I have a extra radio if we are close enough. Any change in plans I will try to post but as of right now all I want to hear is FISH ON grin.gif

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

The time up till recently seemed to drag on. Now it seems that time is flying by.

We're ready, any details that are left will fall into place.

Yes the build up has been huge just like other Bashs. This year is even more special. I guess what felt like "dragging on" was knowing of Debs fight. She's been fighting all this time and will continue that fight long after the Bash.

I had wished she could be there with us. Now I just want her to eat. Get use of her left side. Get to that point in therapy and recovery that the Doctor says "go home".

The organization is done. Those that opened their hearts and donated items we thank you so much.

We're ready for you. Come to the Bash and join in what is, the Spirit of the Bash.

Steve, and FM'ers thanks for the update, it's about 220 miles from the home base here to B-side so I am looking to light'n the load as well. I'm all in. better bring the sled just in case. thats just to far to go and then wish I had it. Can a guy bring somthing for the silent auction to contribute?

anyone needing a ride to HQ or beyond I'll be there with a wheeler and willing to help.

I'll be at the landing 8:00 am fri. and also early on Sat.

Thanks again stfcat! you are the man with the info! Im really looking forward to meeting you and all the others ive chatted with on here! I have alot of fishing to do this weekend on several different lakes, what (if any) suggestions do you have on which morning to show up? I can really only do 8 am until about 2, so i assume the day doesnt matter.

Tami, thanks for the help, ma'am! grin.gif

fishgutz, sure you can bring something for the auction. Just look up me or surface tension first thing Saturday morning and we'll be happy to take it off your hands.

FishOn, are you asking me which morning you should show up on Burntside? Not quite sure what you're asking.

well yeah. may have been a weird question, just curious if one day would be better than another in terms of events or whatever. sorry for the confusion!

FishOn! The Bash is on Saturday if you would like to meet up with everybody and Friday,Sunday will be be just plain old laker fishing.It is going o be a lot of fun plus you get to meet the person you keep BSing with grin.gif

Fishgutz77 all donations are welcomed for this one. By the way welcometo the forum see ya fri nite or sat am.

FishOn, jmalm has said it right. Want company? Come Saturday. Want less company? Come Friday or Sunday. Whichever way you go you'll have a great time. grin.gif

A bunch of us Duluth/Superior knuckleheads will be to Van Vac about 9ish Friday morning. If anyone is still around we can [PoorWordUsage] and get out and try some spots. Hopefully we get a bit warmer than what they are saying and less winds. Makes it so much easier to hole hop.