• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Kids Bow (girl)

buzzball

This is the best place I could think of for this. Because this is the best forum on the internet.

Ok I'm looking for a bow for my daughter she seems to wanta try it. She is 5 and a pretty strong girl. what I'm wondering is what I should get. any of you achery's have any ideas.

The PE classes use the matthews genesis. I believe that its reasonably priced and is one of the best starter bows out there.

That said, she is pretty young, at that age, tie a string onto a green switch and make her one. grin.gif

ya a green stick would probably work but shes more import then that. laugh.gif.

only the best for my baby. confused.gif i'll do some looking into what you said thanks.

I would agree with the Matthews. I have a few friends that purchased the Matthews gen. and the kids have really enjoyed them.

Buzzball, your a good dad. Good luck with whatever you find out. The Genesis are great because they have a ton of adjustments that can be made as she grows.

Thanks people I really didnt expect this quick of a responce but thats why I love this web page everything is good and fast... wink.gifgrin.gif

Buzzball, I've seen this question asked a bunch of different places a bunch of different times and the answer is pretty universally the one you got. I think you're getting sound advice from folks who know.

Buzz, my son is 4 and shoots a mathews gen. mini. It is perfect size for him so I think I would go that route. Most people don't know there is a mini because the retailers normaly do not sell it. Also you can put a good sight and a better rest like a bisquet to let them grow with it.

do what you would for yourself, take her to a proshop, let her shoot a few different bows, and see if she is really comfortable with shooting a bow. Then see which one she likes the feel of and shoots best. Of course i would recommend matthews, I have been very happy with my matthews.

There are not many bows that come in a pull weight low enough for a 5yr old and of the ones out there the Genesis is the only real bow thats not a glass limb bow with wheels.

I have a Genesis for my 5 and 7yr old daughters and they love it. I put on of my old sights on there and the pro shop put in the largest peep they had so the girls could sight better. It uses a flipper rest, but a biscuit would be a good choice too. It cranks down to 10lbs and up to 20lbs.

My little one shoots at 10lbs and my older daughter is up to 12-13lbs now. It flings my arrows pretty good at 5yds and my oldest is starting to group arrows together now. I bought her a junior size release at Cabelas and she can shoot like dad now.

They grow with the child so the price isn't a big deal. Its still cheaper than mine.

Thats pretty much my next question I've looked on the internet at the mini and kinda wondering how long that will last powerstoke (i love the name cause I'm a ford truck man) but does your little baby pull the geniess (reg) back just fine? Or is the mini what I wanta get?

And do I wanta start her out with a release or fingers I dont know if anyone does fingers any more but thats how I started and was pretty comfortable with. Its the new age now with release. The mini is pretty much the same price as the reg. What do you think I know I should just take her to the pro shop and try out something. I asked her tonight and she said lets go to Cabelas and see what they have. (But dad do they have the fish there?) God you have to love KIDS laugh.gif !

buzzball,

Browning also has an infinite draw bow called the Discovery that comes in 20lb or 29lb draw weights. I know the Genesis is widely used, and I used to tune them down to about 15lbs when I ran youth archery classes. As for shooting style, I would recommend fingers to start. The reason is to get the shooter to establish a consistent anchor. There is no 'wall' or draw stop on the Genesis or Discovery bows, so it is important to teach the young shoot to develop a consistent physical anchor point; corner of jaw, earlobe, etc. In my classes, we also taught three fingers under the arrow. This eliminates pinch on the nock, and helps keep the arrow from torquing off the rest during the draw.(which leads to the bad habit of 'holding' the index finger on the arrow). Hooking three fingers under, I have them draw until the index finger 'touches the tip of the smile'...release and follow thru.

It's a great skill to teach kids. And there is nothing better than seeing there eyes pop at the first 'bullseye'..whether they aimed there or not. We used to put balloons on the targets, the pop gives an extra boost of pride.

good luck.

I really like the balloons idea. I'll have to try that this winter when we're shooting in the garage. (safe with the kids at 5-10yds)

I think the mini would get too small fast. 6-12lbs is small with my 7yr old being able to do 12lbs already.

Since there is no wall, my 5yr old pulls it back to "her" anchor and gets the same results as when my older daughter pulls back to her anchor.

Like you said, I would take her in and see if she can handle the reg. Genesis. My older one started with fingers and did fine, but she wanted to try a release when we found them in kids sizes. My 5yr old hasn't tried the release yet.