• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Fall Turkey Hunt.

Nymph

We had a very good fall season this year. We were only able to hunt the Friday Saturday and Sunday of our season because of work schedules. We went out and talked to the land owners and had a few tips from them before we started our hunt on Friday.

A buddy of mine went out by a small patch of grass next to woods. Hearing alarm putts for the first hour of the hunt, he pulled his decoys. About an hour after pulling the decoys he had a big tom fly in and land within 30 yards of him and his hunt was over by 8:30.

My Father was hunting a transition area where woods grass and picked field meet. He hadn’t seen anything for the first 2 hours of his hunt. Sticking with his plan for about another half hour, out of the woods a flock of about 15 birds heads his direction. He watches as they march past him at about 20 yards. Not a single tom in the bunch. He decided to harvest the last one in the bunch, passing on the 2 mature hens if front of the flock, in hopes they will teach the rest of the flock how to survive the winter. His hunt was over by 9:30 our first morning.

I sat the first morning and all I saw were deer. I decided to move after about 2 hours and sat till noon and nothing. Went back out that evening and all I saw were cows and pileated woodpeckers, which kept me entertained between calls. Packed it up that evening and went back to camp. The next morning I went to a small grassy opening on the bottom of a valley. I set up about 40 yards from where the valley spilled into this grassy area. I sat for about an hour and not even an alarm putt. I watch a nice 6 point buck for the next hour until he bedded down about 60 yards from me. I was getting restless and was running a plan B through my head. I was going to sit it out for about another hour and was going to move to the open fields above if I didn’t see anything. I started to pick up the pace on my calling a little, calling about every 15 minutes and starting another sequence after the first call. I was giving this a try for about 40 minutes, out pops Tom at about 45 yards. He comes out of the wash out of the valley with his head high looking for what was making all the racket down here. I slowly moved my bead over to where he was and pulled the trigger and down he went. The hunt was over on the second day by 9:30.

The First tom we harvested was 22-23 pounds with an 11 inch beard and 1 1/8” spurs.

My bird was 22-23 pounds with a 10 ¾” beard and 1 1/16” spurs.

Most of our hunt was spent on high pressured public hunting areas next to private land. Talk to the land owners before you go out to hunt. They see the birds every day and know the general area the birds are in and that can save a lot of scouting time.

The second thing I can’t stress enough to new turkey hunters is to sit as long as you can and then sit there for another 40 minutes. I have had a lot of birds come in just as I was thinking about moving.

Good luck on the spring permits.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Congrats on some great fall hunts! laugh.gif

Congrats on some terrific hunts. Sounds like you were really paying attention to what was going on around you and your adjustments really paid off.

Nice birds.

Sounds like a great hunt, way to go!

I also filled my tag this morning. I hunt public land in NW Wis. No ag. fields anywhere to be found. Birds are very scattered, and spooky! Mostly I hunt them when I find them as I am in bowhunting mode for deer right now.

Last night a friend, while on deer stand, heard birds fly to roost. He showed me the spot after dark. This morning, I went in very early and sat on a stool right in the middle of them. The first two flew down from right above me, I thought they had seen me and were gone. I made a couple of soft yelps and they came right in! 7:55 and my tag was filled with a young tom. What a good friend huh?

Good work DonBo! Really about scouting this time of year, and great to see your buddy help out. I tried putting Deitz on deer this weekend, instead he sees this monster gobbler I've been keeping tabs on for the past 3 years.....at 11 yards. Amazing bird....hope he makes it another winter so I can chase him again this spring.

Joel

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• mulefarm
      With the early ice out, how is the curlyleaf pondweed doing?
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   The big basin, otherwise known as Big Traverse Bay, is ice free.  Zippel Bay and Four Mile Bay are ice free as well.  Everything is shaping up nicely for the MN Fishing Opener on May 11th. With the walleye / sauger season currently closed, most anglers are targeting sturgeon and pike.  Some sturgeon anglers are fishing at the mouth of the Rainy River, but most sturgeon are targeted in Four Mile Bay or the Rainy River.  Hence, pike are the targeted species on the south shore and various bays currently.   Pike fishing this time of year is a unique opportunity, as LOW is border water with Canada, the pike season is open year round. The limit is 3 pike per day with one being able to be more than 40 inches. All fish 30 - 40 inches must be released. Back bays hold pike as they go through the various stages of the spawn.  Deadbait under a bobber, spinners, spoons and shallow diving crankbaits are all viable options.   Four Mile Bay, Bostic Bay and Zippel Bay are all small water and boats of various sizes work well. On the Rainy River...  Great news this week as we learned sturgeon will not be placed on the endangered species list by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.     The organization had to make a decision by June 30 and listing sturgeon could have ended sturgeon fishing.  Thankfully, after looking at the many success stories across the nation, including LOW and the Rainy River, sturgeon fishing and successful sturgeon management continues.   A good week sturgeon fishing on the Rainy River.  Speaking to some sturgeon aficionados, fishing will actually get even better as water temps rise.     Four Mile Bay at the mouth of the Rainy River near the Wheeler's Point Boat Ramp is still producing good numbers of fish, as are various holes along the 42 miles of navigable Rainy River from the mouth to Birchdale.   The sturgeon season continues through May 15th and resumes again July 1st.   Oct 1 - April 23, Catch and Release April 24 - May 7, Harvest Season May 8 - May 15, Catch and Release May 16 - June 30, Sturgeon Fishing Closed July 1 - Sep 30, Harvest Season If you fish during the sturgeon harvest season and you want to keep a sturgeon, you must purchase a sturgeon tag for $5 prior to fishing.    One sturgeon per calendar year (45 - 50" inclusive, or over 75"). Most sturgeon anglers are either a glob of crawlers or a combo of crawlers and frozen emerald shiners on a sturgeon rig, which is an 18" leader with a 4/0 circle hook combined with a no roll sinker.  Local bait shops have all of the gear and bait. Up at the NW Angle...  A few spots with rotten ice, but as a rule, most of the Angle is showing off open water.  In these parts, most are looking ahead to the MN Fishing Opener.  Based on late ice fishing success, it should be a good one.  
    • leech~~
      Nice fish. I moved to the Sartell area last summer and just thought it was windy like this everyday up here? 🤭
    • Rick G
      Crazy windy again today.... This is has been the norm this spring. Between the wind and the cold fronts, fishing has been more challenging for me than most years.  Panfish have been moving in and out of the shallows quite a bit. One day they are up in the slop, the next they are out relating to cabbage or the newly sprouting lilly pads.  Today eye guy and I found them in 4-5 ft of water, hanging close to any tree branches that happened to be laying in the water.  Bigger fish were liking a 1/32 head and a Bobby Garland baby shad.   Highlight of the day way this healthy 15incher
    • monstermoose78
    • monstermoose78
      As I typed that here came a hen.  IMG_7032.mov   IMG_7032.mov
    • monstermoose78
      So far this morning nothing but non turkeys. 
    • monstermoose78
      Well yesterday I got a little excited and let a turkey get to close and I hit the blind!!
    • smurfy
      good......you?? living the dream..in my basement playing internet thug right now!!!!!! 🤣 working on getting the boat ready.......bought a new cheatmaster locator for the boat so working on that.   waiting for warmer weather to start my garden!!!
    • monstermoose78
      How is everyone doing? Holy moly it’s chilly this morning I stayed in bed and will hunt later today when it warms up.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.