• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

estrus bleat cans??

icecold

What time of the deer season is it best to use these cans, can u use them early season or during the rut?, Morning, noon or not at all.

anytime right before and during the rut anytime of day. One those bleat cans called in the biggest bucks I have ever seen out hunting, it was about October 22 a couple years ago. he spotted me and ran the way he came from. I know it was the can call that did it because he was grunting the whole way to me. Neat to see.

I know we've called in deer with them. 3 years ago during the early gun season, my son was set up about 100 yards from me, and using the doe can. He bleats once or twice every 20 or 30 minutes. A big buck circled down wind of him, to snif her out, and came right to me. I didn't see him till he was right on top of me, and because I had the gun laying the wrong way across my lap, had only a left handed shot. He was looking right at me from 5 yards, and I was on the ground, so I didn't have much I could do. I missed entirely. My son came running over and asked if I had gotten him, and said I had missed. There was only about 20 minutes of shooting time left, so I told him we should just call it a night. He refused, and climbed back up his stand, let that doe bleat rip again, and within 5 minutes, another buck came right down the same path as the previous one. This time I was ready, and dropped him.

Last year, I was in my blind only about 20 minutes. Did a little grunt grunt grunt, rattled a couple times, grunted again, hit the doe bleat 2 times, and waited. Within a few minutes I had a 10 pointer.

I know my neighbor swears by em too.

I have grunted when does are around to see their reaction, and they went on alert, and eventually walked off the other way.

I guess I like the can better.

I know the first time I used one, a guy from someone elses party shot a buck about 250 yards away. He says he could hear my bleating, and that he thought his buck was responding to it.

I was a little skeptical... I don't think a human can hear em that far away... maybe over water. Sorry for the ramble.

I've had several small deer and a few does come in close to see what's going on. Never had a buck (that I've seen anyway) come in to check it out. I bleated to a line of 4 walking deer to see what they'd do one year. They all stopped looked in my direction for a couple minutes and slowly ambled off.

On a related note last year I grunted at a basket rack 6 pointer He stopped dead in his tracks turned around and left without making a sound! I could clearly hear (and see) him 150 yards away coming toward me. He really didn't make any noise I could hear when he left! I guess he didn't want his butt kicked??? Amazing how fast and quiet he left!

I usually don't try any calling until the 2nd day after rifle opener.

Ferny.

Does anyone have any problems with their can's not bleating every time. Mine usually only works 50% of the time. Not sure if I just have a junk can or bad technique.

There is a hole on the bottom of the can. It is covered with a little round sticker. If you remove the sticker, the can will not make any sounds, unless you cover the hole with your thumb. It's a way to make them noiseless when you're walking to your stand. I'd check the status of that hole, might make a difference.

Mine did the same thing. I think the insides get worn out. Sounds like you got a bad one also. Go get yourself a new one. Unless anyone knows how to fix them.

I've used them. I actually used one to try to call in a doe on Saturday morning. She didn't come in, but an 8-pointer did. I ended up taking him yesterday morning.

Here is a suggestion and I got this from a couple realtree pro-staff that I used to work with. Grunt twice, hit the doe bleat twice and then grunt 3-4 more times. It worked like a charm the last two years. Start that next weekend and only do it once or twice a day at most. If you can grunt like a smaller buck all the better, because if a bruser hears that someone is tending a doe in his area, he will come running. BE READY.

Last year the can call made a believer out of me. Even though I was only teasing a small little buck, I had him cris-crossing my trail 7 different time before he decided "She wasn't worth it" It was a very fun hunt, and I know for a fact the call kept him in my area.

CA

I'm a big fan of the True Talker. With it, I can make the grunts of a smaller buck, the bleats of a doe, and the grunts again all with the same call in my hand.

This combo - 2 or 3 grunts followed by 2 bleats, then 2 or 3 more grunts - has placed a couple of bucks right in my lap over the past few years.

I do a fair amount of still hunting, and I've come to learn that a guy has to sit it out at least 30 minutes after trying the calling. While they often come busting in on you, it can take awhile for the deer to finally close the distance.

The can we have at camp is worn out and doesn't work unless you squeeze the sides of the can. On a side not, it does give us the ability to really drag out the length of the bleat.

I have all three sizes of the can. My original one stopped sounding right & then I noticed there a crack on one of the ends right on the edge that goes about half way around. It must have gotten dropped to hard some time. Anyway if I hold that down tight & make sure the hole's covered good it still works fine. I should glue it, but I can make it work & keep forgetting when I could do it.

I once called in 5 bucks at the same time with the can. I missed the two nice ones, underestimated the range, but they came from everywhere.

I also pulled in a doe & the buck following her with the can. If there's much wind at all I prefer the big can, it's louder & it's a little longer bleat.

I have grunted in deer too. I think the more calls you have the better, if you get one you knows not coming in without coaxing play around until you find something that gets them fired up. That doesn't mean I think you should just call like crazy, I don't, but there are instances when you've got nothing to lose.

Quote:

That doesn't mean I think you should just call like crazy, I don't, but there are instances when you've got nothing to lose.

I like to try different series of call patterns when I see deer that I know I am not going to shoot. It takes the stress out of it, and you can focus on their reactions to each call instead of wondering when you are going to pull the trigger.

CA

Last year, someone said to make a series of 5-6 quick bleats with the can when you see a buck and have it hang up on you. I did that last year and he came running in to me. It worked great. I have never had much luck with it other than that one time. I do mix in grunts and bleats though, and have called in my fair share of deer with it.