• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Rimadyl

WhitefaceMan218

My 10 1/2 year old lab gets pretty stiff after hunting. The side to side movement of her back legs is affected. I've given her Rimadyl in the past when we've have a hard weekend of hunting and it seems to work great. Does anyone have any experience with Rimadyl used long term? Also, has anyone had good luck with any of the web sites that offer canine meds? We're scheduled for a veterinarian visit next week and will get his opinion on the Rimadyl question as well.

I've been giving my 11 year old lab rimadyl for the last couple years and have had nothing but positive results. I don't give it to all the time though, just during hunting season, and then just a day before and during the hunt.

I haven't checked the online vets but my vet gives me a 25% discount if I buy a full bottle - 60 tablets - at a time.

My friend gives his old dog rim every day. I have used it several times on my young dog for injury. I thought I heard long term use could be a health issue but not sure?

I would go with Vet opinion on the matter. Good luck.

I have used Rimadyl on one of my dogs. To be honest I have found the homeopathic route even more effective. The meds that target improving synovial fluid in the joints has worked really well for my too older dogs. Worked so well with my first arthritic dog, we no longer needed rimadyl.

I now use the joint tabs and then occasionally use VET buffered aspirin. The aspirin should be less costly and also not as tough on the dog's system.

brittmann....did your vet recommend the homeopathic treatment? I've been giving my lab glucosomine for several years and it seems to help. What other options are there? thanks.

Quote:

brittmann....did your vet recommend the homeopathic treatment? I've been giving my lab glucosomine for several years and it seems to help. What other options are there? thanks.

If your already giving a good quality Glucosamine (and I personally believe there are some better than others....not just some bottle off the Walgreens shelf), then you could try a supplement called Boswellia Serrata that can offer anit-inflammatory/pain relief. It is not intended to replace daily prescription but I have heard positive results from the occasional aches and pains such as after hunting. For Glucosamine a good proven one such as Cosequin can be used. This is the only brand I am aware of that has done clinical studies on their supplement.

Rimadyl is fine even in a daily dose as long as you have the dogs blood tested a few times a year. Occasional use during hunts should not cause any harm....but if your dog requires a daily dose for everyday pain then thats when you would want to do occasion blood tests. Just giving information based off my conversations/experience with vets.

Always check with your vet if you have any questions!!

I have used both Vet recommended (Vet uses them himself) and the brands sold on-line via a well know VET supply company out of WI.

I would say results were phenominal with my first dog with UofM x-rays showing "ragged" ball and sockett hip joints. She hunted with Rymadyl at age 8 and did not need it at 9 and 10.

With my current 10 year old, arthritis is taking less of a toll. I do believe the Synova G3 is working nicely. I do give her Vet buffered aspirin if she shows signs of soreness.

My wife is a vet and she says this. Many older dogs take it daily with no problems, however, long term use can cause liver and GI problems. If you are giving it to your dog only before and after hunts during the hunting season you are probably fine.

She does recommend that you do blood work checks to make sure your dog is doing ok on it, more for those dogs that are taking it regularly. I didn't even ask about the mail order stuff, I know she doesn't like that.

Clear as mud right - I hope it helps. smile.gif

When more than a couple Bufferin doesn't help with the stiffness, I question who the hunt is really for. Old dogs like truck rides. To the car wash or the hunting grounds makes no difference.

I guess you can put me in the anti-Rymadil crowd, unless the dog's life is suffering too much. Look at some of the human pain killers and their effect on the human body frown.gif They have been pulled from the market and class action lawsuits filed.

My 10 year old Britt would not stand to be left in the car. I do not hunt her hard and rotate between her and my 2 year old Britt. The 2 year old gets the bigger, longer runs.

You do need to be careful, but at the same time I believe the dog enjoys the time afield more than I do.

My 10 year old hunts smart and finds her share of birds, but my 2 year old is now much more effective covering the field and finding birds.

Quote:

I guess you can put me in the anti-Rymadil crowd, unless the dog's life is suffering too much. Look at some of the human pain killers and their effect on the human body
frown.gif
They have been pulled from the market and class action lawsuits filed.

It's fine your anti-Rymidal...I have no problem with that.

However (and not to argue against your stance, but based more on the facts), I don't think it's fair to compare Rymidal to human drugs that have been pulled from the market. Rymidal is fine for daily use in dogs if you are having routine blood work done to verify the kidney is handling it properly.

I would not feel any more comfortable giving buffered aspirin daily than I would Rymidal. If you have any studies showing the negative effects I would be happy to read them.

They should be compared because Rimadyl is a prescription strength NSAID. I believe Rimadyl is a C0X-2 type NSAID (same has cause heart issues in humans - nothing heart related reported in dogs).

It is this COX-2 inhibitor NSAID that actually makes it safe for pets. Other NSAIDS such as ibuprofin should not be given to dogs. Too much ulceration! The introduction of COX-2 preferential NSAIDs has reduced stomach and intestinal side effects by 50% in humans and has made FDA approval of certain NSAIDs possible for pets

Aspirin is the only relatively "safe" over the counter NSAID for pets.

Here what the FDA says about Rimadyl:

Not sure I am suppose to post the link ...

Veterinary Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs (NSAIDs)

Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs (NSAIDs) are used to control the pain and inflammation associated with osteoarthritis. Inflammation - the body’s response to irritation or injury - is characterized by redness, warmth, swelling, and pain. NSAIDs work by blocking the production of prostaglandins, the body chemicals that cause inflammation.

In veterinary medicine approved veterinary NSAIDs are used to control the pain of osteoarthritis in dogs and some veterinary NSAIDs are approved for the control of postoperative pain in dogs. However, there are risks and benefits with all commonly prescribed veterinary drugs, including NSAIDs. Veterinarians and pet owners should be aware of the following facts:

Oral NSAIDs are approved for use in dogs only.

All dogs should undergo a thorough history and physical examination before beginning NSAID therapy.

Appropriate blood/urine tests should be performed to establish baseline data prior to, and periodically during, administration of any NSAID.

Veterinary NSAIDS may be associated with gastrointestinal ulcers/perforations, liver, and kidney toxicity.

Use with other anti-inflammatory drugs, such as other NSAIDs and corticosteroids, should be avoided.

Patients at greatest risk for kidney problems are those that are dehydrated, are on diuretic treatment, or have pre-existing kidney, heart, and/or liver problems.

NSAIDs can cause stomach or intestinal bleeding.

Risks associated with NSAIDs are detailed on the package inserts and Client Information Sheets.

Little different than buffered aspirin?

Besides I only give my dog aspirin the evening after the day in the field. In my personal experience, I have been with two senior hunting dogs and have found other route more effective. Add in the high cost of the pills, plus blood work tests, etc,,

Again - if the dog is in pain or discomfort - work with your vet. I did! and found an effective program with less cost and less risk. If Rimadyl is the answer - fine.

Clinical pharmacology information can be found by typing in rimadyl . com.

Studies say safe, yet constant monitoring and occassional blood work strongly advised.

Work with your vet - realize there are many routes to effective pain management in pets - and us aging humans.

Rimadyl is great for those unfortunate dogs suffering moderate to severe arthritis!! - the dogs should probably retire from hunting.

For mild soreness in older hunting dogs - I remain "anti-rimadyl" (seems overkill)

and have found homeopathic tablets, a few aspirin, and lots of rest work well.

I compare whether I should hunt my 11 year old dog to my aging body with a sore knees and feet, am I going to stop hunting? NO! I just hunt slower and take a few aspirin when I get home. I will hunt her for a couple of hours and then kennel her up for some of the hunts, give her a break. When it gets colder out and I start hunting the ice and snow, I will leave her at home. If I can help her stiffness and pain by giving her a couple of Rimadyls, I'm going to do it. Shes given me many years of good service and I owe it to her. I'll trust my vet that its not hurting her. After this week and hunting alot I will stop giving her the pills every day, I will just give them when I hunt her. As far as the cost, the 60 count bottle of Rimadyl that I bought was less than the cost of the case of shotgun shells that I bought earlier this fall. Enough said about the cost.

Quote:

Aspirin is the only relatively "safe" over the counter NSAID for pets.

Little different than buffered aspirin?

Not sure, I could not find any documents related to it's use in dogs.

Only this with aspirin mentioned (and I am not opposed to aspirin use in dogs in any way):

"The FDA considers approved NSAIDs to be safe and effective when used according to the label and when dog owners are informed about common NSAID adverse reactions.

And veterinarians are becoming increasingly aware of the advantages of recognizing and controlling pain, says Charles Lemme, D.V.M., a member of the American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA), Clinical Practitioners Advisory Committee. "We recognize that pets are healing better and faster with pain control."

Lemme says that the emphasis on pain management may be partly because of the availability of the newer NSAIDs. "The NSAIDs we have available now are a lot safer than what we've had before and we're seeing far fewer side effects than before."

Before the newer generation of NSAIDs came along, "people were using NSAIDs such as aspirin in an attempt to mitigate arthritic pain," says Michael Andrews, D.V.M., president of the American Animal Hospital Association (AAHA). "We saw the consequence of their use," adds Andrews, who recalls seeing a client who gave her dog aspirin for six weeks, two times a day. "The dog had a bleeding nose that wouldn't stop."

"NSAIDs are used in many, many dogs and the frequency of problems is quite low," says Andrews. "The duration of use makes a difference in safety. If used for a day or two, the risks often are much lower than when used over long periods of time for a chronic arthritic condition."

Drugs used to control pain should be given only when necessary, and in the smallest dose that is effective, says Sharkey. "Arthritis waxes and wanes. Some animals get worse in cold weather. If the dog seems to improve to the point of not needing the drug, the owner should discuss continued use of the NSAID with a veterinarian."

Quote:

Work with your vet - realize there are many routes to effective pain management in pets - and us aging humans.

Rimadyl is great for those unfortunate dogs suffering moderate to severe arthritis!! - the dogs should probably retire from hunting.

For mild soreness in older hunting dogs - I remain "anti-rimadyl" (seems overkill)

Well said and I agree.

Quote:

and have found homeopathic tablets, a few aspirin, and lots of rest work well.

I would be curious to know more of what you use. I am currently using Glucosamine/MSM and Hyaluronic acid, and Rymidal as needed. Also getting the dog more exercise on a daily basis to keep muscle tone up and the dog in shape which has helped a lot.

My 2.5 year old lab has ED, mild HD, OCD with DJD..so thats why I use what I use....next year he will be retired from full hunting, but will be brought out occasionally. If I had a normal lab I would probably use buffered aspirin.

I would also recommend looking into "Boswellia Serrata":

Boswellia Serrata is for "Everyday Aches and Pains" associated with age, arthritis, hard work, 'limp tail' etc. It is guaranteed to contain 65% Boswellic Acid (the active ingredient). It is not intended to replace daily prescription anti-inflamatory medication that you receive from your Veterinarian, but it is for those occassions where your dog needs some anti-inflamatory/pain relief in a form that is very effective and yet entirely safe.

Your situation is much different than mine. I am very sorry you have to deal with these joint issues with such a young dog.

With my two older Brittanys it was arthritis that started about age 8 and only seen as stiffness after conditioning and/or hard day hunting.

I do recommend swimming as a great 3 season exercise.

My vet recommended Synovi G3 chewables. Can google search to find them.

Google Foster and Smith Pet Supply. They have a whole line of arthritic joint therapy drugs.

I believe they have worked well for the conditions my dogs have had.

For the types of issues your dog is facing Rimadyl with constant vet checks is probably the best route.

If I ever experience these kinds of issues

+) I would keep my dog - they are family in our house

+) demand that the breeder provide a refund and stop his breeding program with the dogs that produced these problems.

Good Luck