• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Moon Phase?

onlyslabs

I was watching a show on the Sportsmans Channel and heard them talking about it. I was just wondering how it effects the deer if any. Thanks

The magazine I was reading said it should be great deer hunting right now. I disagree with them.

With a full moon, deer are running around like crazy all night long. I am not a big fan of hunting during a full moon. At least opening gun will NOT be a full moon this year.

It seems like it always is.

Just my $1.25.

If it is a full moon, I will stay home before I will go. I have never seen many deer in the evening whil bow hunting when the moon is full.

Last night I was out and the deer started moving at least and hour and a half before laast shooting light. I saw a small buck and three does. They all appeared to be headed for a farm field full of corn and didn't bother with the wind. I do however like to hunt the a.m.s as I seem to see alot more activity in the mornings during a full moon. The biggest problem there is work gets in the way of alot of great morning hunts!

Tunrevir~ grin.gif

Movement seems to be later for both evening and morning hunts. I will still go out whenever I can, because you never know. Tonight's the Hunters full moon, hitting the woods this evening so we'll see if it's true!

The last couple of days as I have been road scouting I am seeing many deer on there feet from 12:00 to 2:00 pm. the next couple days I am going to be in stand mid day. This morning the wind is already howling from the south so I am going to try and sneek in near a bedding area and hope for the best.

I was also wondering about the full moon this weekend. Thinking maybe I should concentrate on the local walleye population instead.

It will be tough in the evening, in my opinion. The eyes should be hot and heavy -- I know they are in the Detroit Lakes area.

What it does is get the deer moving earlier. I saw a few does last night at 4:00. This Full moon means the start of the rut will start very shortly after. Bowhunting next week could be good as will gun season. I agree that I hate when the opener has the full moon. Not so much cause of the moon but the rut always starts after this Full moon. It is nice to have a week inbetween. I am looking forward to this up coming week of hunting. I will be hitting the woods every day after work.

Quote:

Tonight's the Hunters full moon, hitting the woods this evening so we'll see if it's true!

Named the "Hunter's Moon" because the moon was bright enough for guys to hunt through the night. Example: Duck Hunting during a full moon was still common into the 20's and 30's.

It has nothing to do with it being a better time to hunt during the daylight hours.

Good Luck!

Ken

On full moons your best bet is to be in the woods from 9 til 2pm, The onloy problem is that darn work always seems to get in the way.

Went out last night, saw the most deer so far this year. Deer moved early. 5:30 p.m. The big boy didn't come out until dusk. He got within 40 yards but it was really dark and never offered a shot clear of brush. I had an 8 pointer walking around me for a good 40 minutes, later 3 does, hot on their trail, was the big guy. I tried to grunt the big guy in with the True Talker but that just ticked him off. He trotted into the woods, after the does and proceeded to grunt and raise holy heck with whatever got in his way. When I got in the field, the moon was so bright I could see my shadow. If last night is any indication, the deer are still moving with the moonlight.

Tirgger --

That is awesome that you see deer in the evening. Wish I did. I would say that I rarely to never see deer out at dusk with a full moon.

Interesting.

I have had down times with the moon full but I hunt next to bedding areas and in between and often see deer on the way to the food. The downside to this is when the moon is dark and in a new moon phase, I end up busting a few off of their beds on my way in. Most of my activity during the full moon seems to be early and later a.m. as they come back to bed. I think with the cold pushing in though with all of the warm weather we have had they are gonna get wild this next week! Bring it on!

Tunrevir~ cool.gif

I second that i've had little to no evening activity but later am from 8:30 on has been spectacular the last few days. I had a small fork attempting to mount a doe later i had two other bucks sparing 35yds away. Haven't seen the one im after yet hope he shows himself soon.... My vacation time is running out grin.gif

Saw the big boy last night, biggest one I have seen on stand in 3 years...had him at 20 yards, only problem was he came from behind me and over my right shoulder and walked right behind a fallen tree, nothing I could do, any other direction and I might have had a chance...Oh well maybe he'll be back. Should be a great 8 days on the stand from here to gun season.

Maybe I should take back what I said. Last night the moon was so bright it seemed like daylight. The TV said that the moon is at its brightest all year right now. Never saw one deer. I had one blow at me from the other side of the bluff when I got back to my truck. Clouds rolling in tonight, should be better down here. I won't get out until tomorrow AM, but like clockwork. I usually miss a nice buck this upcoming weekend. One of these years, I'm going to be able to say I shot a nice buck on the weekend before gun season. grin.gif

I only saw 1 deer this week. But I also found a new scrape ten yards from where I sat the night before, so I think alot of deer are moving at night right now. I think we are in the calm before storm. The bigger bucks are conserving energy, and when they are moving it's at night.

Tunrevir, you have mail.

MAN WAS THAT MOON BRIGHT! Its pretty neat not having to use a flashlight in the deepest darkest woods in northern mn! But on a side note I could still see my pins at 645pm well after legal shooting time! blush.gif

the 2nd full moon after the fall equinox is called the rutting moon...that is what the full moon just was...i don't know why you guys are all worried about what times the deer are feeding and sleeping...the bucks i'm after are on the prowl all times of night and day right now...this next week is gonna be what dreams are made of. if u ever wanted to take time off work this week before gun opener is the time to do it if your a bowhunter.

I was worried about the moon phase but went out anyway last night and got my first buck ever at 5:45, he followed my trail directly to my tree (I sprayed my boots with doe pee). He was a young guy so probably not the smartest but would attest to deer moving. While waiting to track him I also saw three other deer moving between 6 and 6:30.