• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Furnace problem!

311Hemi

Question

Furnace has been working off and on at the end of last year and the few days this fall.

I will hear it ignite and burn for a few seconds then go out. They it will attempt to reignite, burn for a few seconds and then go out again.

I am thinking the thermocouple needs to be replaced....but any other thoughts?

9 answers to this question

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

The rapid cycling is a symptom of the sensor probe either malfunctioning due to crud build up or a faulty part.

Mine has needed to be pulled a few times over the years to clean off the white crud that for some reason accumilates there. Use a little steel wool to clean it off and reinstall and it works fine.

I had a similiar problem with a Lennox model. It would work fine after cleaning or replacing the sensor. The furnace guy eventually replaced the probe with an electronic system.

I just spent $353 to replace a circut board that had a burned out piece on it. I kept restarting the furnace, per

the instructions, but it kept going out so I had to call in

a guy. The repair guy said it was just one of those things.

We had a cracked heat exchanger and it had the same symptoms mentioned. If we left the door off it would work fine. Super dangerous if this is the case. The only way we knew what was happening was our carbon monoxide detector went off and we called Minnegasco.

After digging in to it I don't have a thermocouple, it has the flame sensor. I cleaned it off and it still did not work. Somehow the negative pressure switch was stuck in the open position so the blower would not start at all (there was a blinking light code saying it was a pressure switch). I pulled the hose and cleaned it, put it all back together and it fired up right away. Not sure these are the correct terms as I am not an HVAC guy!!

Thanks for the info!!!

Same thing happenend to me in my intake vent. I must have been blowing leaves when it was on, as it sucked up some leaf debris. I just had to pop the pvc pipe off where it enters the furnace, clean the leaf debris out, and it has been flawless since. First thing to try now smile.gif The blinking lights told the furnace guy on the phone what was going on, and he told me what to try. Sometimes technology is good wink.gif saved him from needing to come out!

I will have to check the vent outside. I actually pulled the hose of the valve in the furnace and cleaned the dust out of it. I didn't even check the outside vent. Good to know.

I think my father had somewhat of a similar problem, it would start, then shut off, but i can't remember all the symptoms. what it ended up being was on the drain, there was a baffle and it was plugged, causing a backup of water, which shut it off, we took it apart, cleaned it and it worked just fine. I do not know what they have for a furnace, or what the exact symptoms were, just something i remember helping with. might be related, might not.

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• mulefarm
      With the early ice out, how is the curlyleaf pondweed doing?
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   The big basin, otherwise known as Big Traverse Bay, is ice free.  Zippel Bay and Four Mile Bay are ice free as well.  Everything is shaping up nicely for the MN Fishing Opener on May 11th. With the walleye / sauger season currently closed, most anglers are targeting sturgeon and pike.  Some sturgeon anglers are fishing at the mouth of the Rainy River, but most sturgeon are targeted in Four Mile Bay or the Rainy River.  Hence, pike are the targeted species on the south shore and various bays currently.   Pike fishing this time of year is a unique opportunity, as LOW is border water with Canada, the pike season is open year round. The limit is 3 pike per day with one being able to be more than 40 inches. All fish 30 - 40 inches must be released. Back bays hold pike as they go through the various stages of the spawn.  Deadbait under a bobber, spinners, spoons and shallow diving crankbaits are all viable options.   Four Mile Bay, Bostic Bay and Zippel Bay are all small water and boats of various sizes work well. On the Rainy River...  Great news this week as we learned sturgeon will not be placed on the endangered species list by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.     The organization had to make a decision by June 30 and listing sturgeon could have ended sturgeon fishing.  Thankfully, after looking at the many success stories across the nation, including LOW and the Rainy River, sturgeon fishing and successful sturgeon management continues.   A good week sturgeon fishing on the Rainy River.  Speaking to some sturgeon aficionados, fishing will actually get even better as water temps rise.     Four Mile Bay at the mouth of the Rainy River near the Wheeler's Point Boat Ramp is still producing good numbers of fish, as are various holes along the 42 miles of navigable Rainy River from the mouth to Birchdale.   The sturgeon season continues through May 15th and resumes again July 1st.   Oct 1 - April 23, Catch and Release April 24 - May 7, Harvest Season May 8 - May 15, Catch and Release May 16 - June 30, Sturgeon Fishing Closed July 1 - Sep 30, Harvest Season If you fish during the sturgeon harvest season and you want to keep a sturgeon, you must purchase a sturgeon tag for $5 prior to fishing.    One sturgeon per calendar year (45 - 50" inclusive, or over 75"). Most sturgeon anglers are either a glob of crawlers or a combo of crawlers and frozen emerald shiners on a sturgeon rig, which is an 18" leader with a 4/0 circle hook combined with a no roll sinker.  Local bait shops have all of the gear and bait. Up at the NW Angle...  A few spots with rotten ice, but as a rule, most of the Angle is showing off open water.  In these parts, most are looking ahead to the MN Fishing Opener.  Based on late ice fishing success, it should be a good one.  
    • leech~~
      Nice fish. I moved to the Sartell area last summer and just thought it was windy like this everyday up here? 🤭
    • Rick G
      Crazy windy again today.... This is has been the norm this spring. Between the wind and the cold fronts, fishing has been more challenging for me than most years.  Panfish have been moving in and out of the shallows quite a bit. One day they are up in the slop, the next they are out relating to cabbage or the newly sprouting lilly pads.  Today eye guy and I found them in 4-5 ft of water, hanging close to any tree branches that happened to be laying in the water.  Bigger fish were liking a 1/32 head and a Bobby Garland baby shad.   Highlight of the day way this healthy 15incher
    • monstermoose78
    • monstermoose78
      As I typed that here came a hen.  IMG_7032.mov   IMG_7032.mov
    • monstermoose78
      So far this morning nothing but non turkeys. 
    • monstermoose78
      Well yesterday I got a little excited and let a turkey get to close and I hit the blind!!
    • smurfy
      good......you?? living the dream..in my basement playing internet thug right now!!!!!! 🤣 working on getting the boat ready.......bought a new cheatmaster locator for the boat so working on that.   waiting for warmer weather to start my garden!!!
    • monstermoose78
      How is everyone doing? Holy moly it’s chilly this morning I stayed in bed and will hunt later today when it warms up.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.