• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
Scott M

Where will you hunt turkeys in 2008?

Scott M

The deadline for Spring 2008 MN Turkey Hunt Applications is due December 7, 2007. For those applying for the first time, you must know what zone you are going to hunt in, just like you would in a firearms deer hunt. This brings up the point that you need to know where you are hunting. There is plenty of public land available, but do you want to leave your options to the mercies of others? The point is, now is the time to be securing permission for private land hunting.

First, I'm curious to see where everyone hunts, so I've included a poll.

Second, I'd also like to hear what others do when choosing their hunting land specifically for turkeys. I will start.

I have access to a large chunk of land in Fillmore County. My hunting partner called it the best turkey habitat he had ever seen, and he had hunted in 3-4 states for 20-some years. I got permission to hunt the land after bugging a friend's father for a year or so. He had no problem with me going; no one in his family or his neighbors hunted turkey....Deer is another story though.

I asked him if anyone had ever come door to door. Again, the answer was no. I figured he would have been bombarded by people who either saw the land while driving around and asked or looked him up in a plat book.

Now I try to maintain connections with this landowner by sending a thank you after the spring, a Christmas card each year, and by bringing him some treats before the hunt. He knows how much I appreciate it and I think that gives him some satisfaction. He also appreciated that I included him in the process. He joined me to do some scouting, he even did his best to point out some good places. I would have told him to join me in the blind if he didn't have chores each morning. I also showed him my bird and repeatedly thanked him for allowing me on. It was a great connection that I think was beneficial for both parties.

Overall, I just think hunters need to get out and talk to people. It's a fine way to develop your social skills, we all need to do that in this life, and you can find ways to get on the same level with another person. What better way to promote hunting or introduce youth to the sport.

Borch

Well,

I actually hunt both public and private land each spring.

HateHumminbird

I'll do all 4 each spring, though compensation has never been dollars and cents, rather a small gift certificate, some turkey meat, etc.

Joel

Wallydog

I did my "hunting" back in the late 80's. I secured a terrific array of private properties that I have exclusive turkey hunting permission upon. I gained the trust and loyalty of the various landowners and compensated them with smoked hams etc. Since then I've been able to concentrate on the "shooting" aspect of the sport.

It's the "hunting" part of our sports that many newcomers fail at. Whether intimidated or insecure or whatever it is, many youngen's fail here. So many want a website or brochure to advise them which tree to set up by......

For me, the "hunting" part is paramount!

WD

The Yeti

Private land in Southern Mn.

maros91

If drawn, I will try the Mille Lacs area this spring. I have seen many of birds in the area. Seems like 15-20 years ago there wasn't a bird to be found. I don't know when they started the trap and transplant in that area bit there are alot of birds.

Hammer Handle

On my own land. Tons of turkeys this year...they had a great year. Plus, we plant some corn that we let stand for the winter for the deer/turkeys.

Last year I hunted turkeys and got a nice tom. My brother did also. 3 other members of the family appied too...and got no license. We let a neighbor in who also got a turkey.

We had to kick out 2 illegal hunters we caught while we were in the woods also...and one roadside hunting.

If they would have asked and if we weren't in the woods, we probably would have let them hunt. Why don't people ask?

We saw few turkeys years ago (over 10 years ago), but there was a few. About 6 years ago...the DNR released turkeys onto my dad's land as he had a "prime spot" and "toms in the woods". They released hens.

I got my first license and turkey last year. Last year was the first year they were hunted on our land. We waited until we felt the turkeys had a great foothold on the land. Now we "bump" into them all the time.

xedge2002

The land we hunt is the same as what Hammer has, we have been seeing turkeys for probably 5 years but no one has ever hunted them to let them get a good crop going. This year on deer stand I probably saw 70+ turkeys opening morning. We applied last year but didn't get drawn, hoping to get it this spring and bag a couple of birds!

outfishedagain

Spring can't come fast enough!!! We're going to Nebreaska, SD and hopefully one of us gets drawn in minnesota. There is possible a Oklahoma trip if work allows.

For our group its going to be bows only this spring. wink.gif

birdswacker

Hopefully we get tags for the SE MN area I really enjoy being a billy goat for 5 days. But its worth the rush of a gobbler coming in to the decoys and letting him have it.

woody1975

South Eastern Minnesota and South Dakota

Bring on the long beards!!!!!!!

DL

TrenPT

I hunt on my sister and brother-in-laws property in Fillmore county. They have nice wooded acerage with Oaks, pasture land and farm land adjoining it. The only thing they request in return is taking my neice and nephew out with me. If you think shooting a turkey yourself is exciting, take a kid out, call a turkey in for him/her, watch them shoot it and see the reaction after. For me, it was far better than taking one myself. My kids are 7 and 4, so not quite old enough yet, but they sure love to bang on the slate calls (my personal favorite, as they sound exactly like a turkey making clucks, purs, etc. with little training required).

Enjoy the 2008 season everyone.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• mrpike1973
      Did real good on cats today got 4 wife 4 and I got a huge sucker that was fun. Horseshoe sure opened up today.
    • eyeguy 54
      Sure glad you had some help moose and all turned out well ! 
    • Rick
      Impressive, both Tom and Jeremy
    • eyeguy 54
      Almost time but maybe not quite... Although I did get the yak out of the backyard today, on to the trailer and up front to spend some time prepping it for time on the water soon.  Indeed it was fun getting out with you and the gang a few times this winter and looking forward to the next outings whenever they may be. WIll share what worked for me and look forward to reading some more info from others. Panfish is what I love going after and I had great fishing with gold jigs almost all winter. Did use a few other colors that worked also but that gold was hard to not use. Tear drop style tungsten in and 4 mm from Widowmaker Lures. Tried some from sportsmens direct also the last couple outings and liked them also. For plastics, the wishbone was good and also impulse mayflies and slug bugs. Tried and bought too many different things to try... LOL. Fished with shrimp for the first time ever this winter and that was a challenge and fun to try something different.  Started out with my good old ultralight gander mountain rods with the frabil titanium spring bobber and then bought a couple of the TUCR Inferno with the orange tip. I really like them for the 4mm and prefer the old ganders with a 3mm. Won a custom 32 inch power noodle from Kichler Custom Rods in Elk River at an event in Wisconsin and used it a few times yesterday. Very nice and looking forward to playing with it more. CGI inline reels still doing their job fine and I did grab one of the new Descent inlines and it worked sweet also. Nice that it now has a pop off spool instead of the gold screw off knob. 10 1/4 was my biggest gill and 14 for the crappie. Even went after catfish 3 times. Saw my first catfish tornado on the vex and iced a lot of fish after being taught how to use a bobber right for those super light biters. thx RickG   My highlight of the winter was getting a PB northern on a tip up up on Mille Lacs with stick in the mud. Fun City! My good old FL 18 is still working dandy and although I am tempted to upgrade, not sure if I will. Nills 6 inch saved my back from the hassles of the gas and when I put the Milwaukee on it life got even better. All in all a fantastic winter fishing with great guys and learning how to be a better fisherman.   Fish On! 
    • monstermoose78
      Well monstermoose78 is done ice fishing around here for the year. Why you ask I fell through yes there was 28-30 inches of ice on the lake, but the shoreline nope. Went fishing with @Cret Jigs and we had fun fishing. I cut lots of holes and we got some good ones for the knife. Cret jigs brought a plank for the way out but on the way in I did not make it to the plank. Cret jigs helped me get my stuff the shore and out. I worry about the guy on the wheeler and they guy who used the plank to get out too. Thanks Cret jigs for a fun day. 
    • redlabguy
      To all you guys who’ve been keeping us posted, thank you. I’m an islander so I don’t have much hope for the opener, but I’ve been reading all the posts (read them year around), including entertaining posts on new gear, and, again, thanks for letting a lot of guys know what’s going on there. The current weather, forecast and web cams, give me hope! I’m thinking I may get back home in three weeks, maybe four. Keep the sun shining, Dick
    • jkrash
      What a difference a day makes, yesterday the dam was locked up tight and today it's roaring. Walleye should be running this week...
    • IceHawk
      Well this morning was officially the end of the ice season for me.   Its been a lot of days on the ice this winter and I have to admit I'm  a little burnt out.   It wasn't easy but it was time to end it.  Have to admit It was a sad moment putting the gear away but it was time as needed space today to put the boat in the garage   Learned a lot of new water and reacquainted myself with some old standbys. Fished 10 different counties this winter so definitely fished a lot of different areas.  Fished many species on the ice this winter so there never was a dull moment. Didn't take a ton of pics just a few need to take more just have never been a pic type of guy LOL.   Iced 7 walleyes between 26-28 3/4 all on local lakes.  So just a tip if you dedicate some time locally big eyes can be found. Fished panfish everywhere in the state highlight area for big fish being Becker and Ottertail Douglas counties. Biggest gill this winter was 10 3/4    many 10's came topside but couldn't break 11 this winter. Craps 15 inchers were tops. Good fish but had goals set at a 16.  Some things learned this ice season where number one lure for the eyes was a old school hammered silver Swedish pimple. It far out produced anything else.   Kenders tungsten where my mainstay for gills and crappies. The plastics of choice were power bait wishbones,  chigger frys, and Northland impulse mayfly's.  The catfish were a hoot and a  change of pace did well on Maynards slammers Glow red. The equipment and gear I was running and never failed me all season were Thorne Bros Rods- For eyes Perch sweethearts. For the Panfish I was running  Power Noodles, panfish sweethearts,  and my favorite the Tripwire. Reels Pflueger Presidents, Prestige ,and Supremes.. Did use some inlines also from 13 fishing The free falls where worth every penny. Ran a K-Drill 8 inch early and late and During the thick ice Ran my strikemaste Lazer.  Vexilar Electronics the old trusty FL18 my eyes underwater, Please Don't  think that I'm pushing these products because I'm sponsored by them, I'm Not. Just want to give a thumbs up and honest opinion on  some top notch equipment that has worked and weathered the storm of a good hardwater season. Realize we all work hard for our dollars and I can honestly say these products where worth every penny and never let me down!  Well Off to the Garage to start getting the boat ready for the Next season  By the Way big Shout out to some of the best Anglers I had the chance to share the ice with this season from FM.  Thanks  Borch,  Bass Thumb,  Moose,  Eyeguy, Rick G , Tom Sawyer for shareing some ice time with me.  Hopefully I get to meet and fish with a few other FMer's this summer or next hardwater.  We had some great Times great laughs and managed to even ice a few fish   Looking forward to having a few summer outings in the future.  BYE BYE Ice Hello open water 
    • Cliff Wagenbach
      Thank for the update and photo Dave and Diane! Cliff
    • Cliff Wagenbach
      I was out on Vermilion fishing today again. Big bay still has about the same amount of ice but the ice is a lot softer now! Small patches of 4" to 6" deep slush pockets on it. Pike bay seemed solid when we went out but when we returned almost the entire bay had about 6" of very soft slushy ice on top! That will be my last trip out this winter. Talked to one Native that I saw checking a  net that he had  out under the ice in Pike Bay. He had caught around 15 walleyes and a pike today and 8 or so walleyes yesterday. Tough way to catch fish! Cliff