• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Heart MurMur

kjgmh

My parents have a 7 month old American Water Spaniel and vet just diagnosed it with a heart murmur. Vet told them, that with the breeder that my mom got the pup from that it is not uncommon. And with this line that they tend to outgrow it, but may take 2 or 3 years. The pup does run out of energy fairly quickly, about a half hour or so of hard playing. Does anyone have any experience or thought about this. They are really torn and are not sure what to do, or what options they have.

Was there a health guarantee on the pup? If so, I would take it back. I realize there may be emotional connections, but if you want a hunting dog, two to three years is a long time to wait. At least you found it at a young age. I am dealing with something at 6.5 years old. No more guarantee....

If all they want is a pet, then live with it. I had an American Water Spaniel once. I won't do that again.

I have a 3 year old Britanny. One vet said she had a heart

murmur when she was a pup. No other vet has said anything

about it when she goes in. She ran about 15 miles non-stop

one day grouse hunting this month. She goes and goes.

Don't worry too much