• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• WE CREATE LONG TERM, MEANINGFUL RELATIONSHIPS IN HERE ... PLEASE JOIN US.

You know what we all love...

RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE
    When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
DonBo

Coyote Skull

DonBo

Just returned from a trip out west and found a coyote skeleton in great shape. I kept the skull and would like to clean it up, bleach it like a european mount. Any advise on how to do this?

Nate McVey

Bury it in the yard before it freezes, mark the spot and dig it up in the spring. They maggots and things will have picked it clean. Depending on how white you want it, you can use a very thin mixture of bleach and water to brighten it. Don't use to much bleach, or it will eat away at the skull.

walleye101

A faster method is to toss it into a pot of boiling water and simmer it a couple of hours. Might want to use the camp stove in the garage to avoid a confrontation in the kitchen.

Nate McVey

Good point walleye..........if time is of the essence, the boiling method is good.

DonBo

I should have said, the skull is picked clean. I just want to bleach it.

FlyingV

Donbo,

Soak it in Hydrogen Peroxide for a few days. Make sure it is completely submerged. If you can find it, use the 30% solution but be careful with it as it will burn your skin. Otherwise just use the drug store 3% if that is all you can find. Rinse it off, then set it in the sun for a few days to dry out. How are the teeth holding up? Sometimes they get loose. I glue them back in with super glue gel. I also glue the lower jaw to the skull at the hinge with it too.

Don't use bleach, I heard it can damage the bone.

After it dries out, you can spray it with an aerosol type clear coat from the hardware store. Make sure it is a non yellowing type.

Here are a couple that I have done using a kit from Van Dykes Taxidermy Supplies:

DSC00235.jpg

DSC00234.jpg

Scott M

And if you ever get really serious about a skull collection (which I want to do some day...I'll be the creepy guy pulling over at all the roadkill sites looking for intact craniums) you can buy starter colonies of dermestid beetles. They are great for European skull mounts by the way. Keep them in your garage in some dry bedding and they will go to town on flesh but leave bone alone.

DonBo

Post deleted by DonBo

FlyingV

I get it from work. It's used in our process. Sorry but I can't get it for you....

I read on another website, that beauty salons use it to bleach hair "as in bleach blondes". You might try one of those. Take a camera with and get us a picture of the gal when you ask for it and she finds out what you want it for!

Van Dykes might have something that will work though too. They have a website.........

DonBo

Quote:

Soak it in Hydrogen Peroxide for a few days. If you can find it, use the 30% solution

Thanks for the tips. I found the 30% stuff at a taxidermy supply place. I'll try to get some photos of the finished job.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

Announcements

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• Gone Out Fishin
      On Island lake, I typically had luck fishing smallies near Rice Lake Road. Then the chain of islands east of the bridge has a good reef studded with boulders, moderate side rocks, and timber. Depending on the wind those islands can be good for bass or walleye. Use to use creature baits and crawdads to fish thoroughly.   Gone Out Fishin
    • Naturboy
      It’s not totally remote but I found an app for my phone called “all stays” and it has filter settings and you can find small camp sites where your not surrounded by 30’ rigs. So you don’t feel like your camping on a sidewalk in Chicago.  I found the county park ones are nice without driving 4+ hours away. 
    • Getanet
      Thanks Borch - Star Island looks really interesting and Cass is a lake I've always meant to get to, but never have. Have you ever fished Windigo?  I'm assuming the only way to do it would be to fish from shore or carry in a canoe or kayak.  Sure would be interesting to fish on a lake within a lake.
    • Rick
      Looks interesting.... any chance a video is on its way 🙂
    • ifishwalleye
      I fished Friday and Saturday. I started out front of Zipple in 28’. Jig w/ frozen shinners. I caught small fish. I moved towards Long Point out from the green can. I was marking lots of fish in 25’. I ended up with a limit of 14” to 16” eyes. I was catching a good number of fish that were mostly on the small side. They were biting super lite!  Yes, I missed my fair share too. Lol Saturday I tried Knight and Bridges. I didn’t mark many fish and didn’t have a bite on either reef at various depths! I did talk to a guy who did well in the morning. I moved out to the mud to 32’ and started marking nice hooks. I caught some really nice fish. I ended up keeping 18” to 19” eyes. I caught 6 slot fish. The biggest was 27”. It was awesome! Good Luck BTW...it sure would be nice if others would post. 
    • Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

Surface water temperatures range from 65 in the morning reaching low 70s during the late afternoon. 

Minnesota has been best in shallower areas such as the Flag Island Flats (5-9 ft.) Prime time being the evening bite with many nice fish including a 31" beast. Deeper water around Four Blocks and LIttle Oak are providing good action for Walleye/Sauger. Orange has been the top color. Even with the recent Mayfly hatch and plenty of crayfish in fishes bellies, (Walleye, Sauger and Northerns) the fishing is awesome!

Canadian fishing has been the best using bottom bouncers in the mud with gold being the most productive color spinners. Jigging will produce fish around structure with larger Walleye/Sauger coming out of 26+ feet of water. Pike and Muskie action is somewhat concentrated to underwater weeds or occasionally while jigging for walleye.

We hope to see you soon! 
      Sunset Lodge
    • DJ_Slick
      Fishing with my father and my son on Father's Day hasn't happened in a long time...so this was fun.  Helped that the storms stayed south. 1/4-1/2 mile off the border straight out from the gap in 29-ish feet of water jigging worked for us.  Limits of 17+" walleyes by lunch both days, with a handful of slots for good measure.  Hardly any sauger, though.  Jig color rotated, so if something isn't working, change it up.  Black, gold, orange, pink, white, green, chartreuse all produced at one point or another.  Not everyone was catching, and moving 1/4 mile or even a couple hundred feet made a big difference at times. We didn't try it, but heard of spinners and crawlers working up shallow (6-10 feet) along Pine Island. Mayflies are starting to hatch.  Dad saw some floaters on the Rainy on Saturday, and I saw some in town at the gas station when I left Monday morning.
    • DLD24
      Any current reports, crappies still biting? Going to give it a go Friday morning.
    • KidMoe
      Don’t forgot the requirement for non-resident anglers to wear blaze pink any time they’re on the water! 😆 My serious advice would be to visit the nearest bait shop. My experience is that they are always helpful in helping navigate the license requirements AND get you on some fish. 
    • Borch
      Well the weather was a bit rough here until yesterday in Cass Lake.   Lots of storms and unsettled weather.   Still finding walleyes either in 8-12 fow or 17-21 fow during the day.  Leaches or shiners have been catching fish.  At night you'll find walleyes in 4-8 fow and willing to hit various crankbaits in various colors.  Lots of smaller eyes still being caught but nice ones too