• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

minnetonka

To those of you fishing crappies off of Goose Island, I am courious as to which side of the island you are fishing off of? I live on Phelps and can see goose from my dock. I have been having good luck on the west half of Phelps, in 26-28 feet. Stay slightly south of the center in the west half of the bay and you will find this depth. The fish turn on after dark and the large crappies 10+ inches seem to be suspended higher up in the water. I have been out of town for the last week and am anxious to get back on the water. The wife and kids are heading out of town for a few days starting tomorow so if anyone wants to hook up for fishing and a couple of beers, let me know

------------------
"I'd rather be fishing"

Mike

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• moby1

• EBass

• Tim L

• Tonka Boy

Top Posters In This Topic

Minnetonka,
When were you planning on heading out? My buddy live on Mound island off of Alexander St.. We were thinking of maybe heading out that way instead of the river.

Good luck

------------------

was out thur. came home with 8, 1 12"(nice). I was in white gmc north east corner of goose
seemed like we had to jig em off the bottom and follow the vexilar up with em I caught the 12" at about 8:30 at about 12' we were useing glow jigs or perch colored jigs.
have any of you used glass jigs out there?
see you on the ice...

sounds like a nice fish, northern. I caught a few small ones that night. Have you been out since? I've been going to Sarah. I was the only one there most of the day. I caught quite a few. Probably go out there again tomorrow. It's the only place I know for a day bite. If anyone wants to go....
Tim, let me know, if I get out we can meet up and you can pick up the speed shak.

I will be heading out to goose to see if I can find those crappies tonight. If anyone else will be out there, stop and say hello. I will be driving a dark blue Dodge Dakota quad cab with a matching topper. I fish out of a black and yellow Polor sport fish house. I will head out about 5-6 PM.

------------------
"I'd rather be fishing"

Mike

Hey Moby:

My wife and kids have only been gone 6 hours and the neighbors are already inviting me over for dinner. I guess the figure I will be a lonly bachler this week. I feel bad turning them down, but as I have said before "I would rather be fishing". I'll be out there by 5 or so.

------------------
"I'd rather be fishing"

Mike

Plus you never know what you're going to get to eat. Whaat if it's horrible. Better to feel bad turning them down than to feel bad about having to eat something you don't like. Even fishing and catching nothing is better than that. ha ha!.
Tim if you're out there, considering the time is 1. I'm leaning toward tonka. Called and emailed you so hopwfully get the email. Phone has been busy for a while.

havent been out yet, doin the family thing but I might have mon off. I plan on starting in Phelps Bay in morning and heading to goose bout 4:00. if anyone can get out there swing over Im gonna stay till 9:30 or so old lady gets off at 10:00.

Due to time constraint, I wasn't able to make it. Hope you're catching fish. May your vex be lit up tonight like mine was today. Went to sarah briefly and caught quite a few from 4-6 oclock then they disappeared. Kept 5, 9"-11".
Wife is busy tomorrow evening so gonna try to hit goose. Sarah has been a day bite for me latley. Tim- looks like i will make it tomorrow and probably won't be able to on Tuesday so if you can, come out. Don't bring a shak. I'll have the ranger and speedshak xl. They are both in the truck

I set up stright north of the east end of Goose in 23 feet of water. I started at 5 PM and was marking fish right away. I could only get one lite bite. I am sure that I was marking Blue Gills and not crappies. I stayed until 8 PM and did not get a fish. I will go back to my usall spot in the west end of Phelps tomorrow.

------------------
"I'd rather be fishing"

Mike

[This message has been edited by Minnetonka (edited 03-09-2003).]

Minnetonka. If the wifes has plans are for during the day, I will probably hit sarah as I have had a decent day-bite the past week. If her plans are for this evening, I'll hook up with you out by goose. Never been to phelps. I'll see how it goes.I talked to Tim L. yesterday. He fishes there a lot. Mabey he'll come out. He may be buying a speed shak xl from me and we need to meet up anyways.
Mabey see you later. IF not, good fishing and mabey another day!!

moby1 if i can get the old lady to cook this turkey. i'll be out there call you at work. Minnetonka seems like they been bitin really lite. really gotta work em lots of lookers hopefully things start to pick up like starting tonite when i get out there. later Tim

Mike. I haven't fished there. We fished off the north west end of the island. I'm not familiar with phelps. I'll be leaving work around 3:30 and heading straight out. If you see the red dakota (new style) and frabill ranger, stop by or call my cel. wife usually has it but I will have it today and will turn it on when on the way.
763-424-9136
Hope to see tim out as well.
This time I WILL be out there.

oh yeah, Tim. If you come out, you might want to bring your shak licese. I only have one on the new house not the speedshak.

The weather is turning. I hope the fish start turning on as well. I will be heading out to the middle of the western half of Phelps tonight. 5-6 PM. I will have me cell on as well if you want to touch base, (612) 834-3772. Lets try to chase the larger crappies down.

------------------
"I'd rather be fishing"

Mike

Hey minnetonka? What is the condition of the road going out there? Do you get on at the Sherrifs landing? We'll be at the landing around 4 or so. If you acess there you will be going right by us. Stop by if were set up or give call when you're near.
The bigger the better.

Moby:

The road out to Goose was blown in with snow last night. I found that it was eaiser to put the truck in 4-wheel and stay out of the "plowed road". Maybe it will be cleared up today. There is only about 2-5 inches of snow on the ice and you should be able to drive where you want. I will be accessing Phelps from the small boat launch by the Red Bridge. I am looking out my window now and see two trucks out there. If you are not doing well at Goose you should be able to just keep driving into Phelps. You can see the Red bridge from Goose. If you need more up-to-date info. You can call me at 952-472-7399

------------------
"I'd rather be fishing"

Mike

Minnetonka.
Wish I would have seen your post before we went out. Would've given you a ring. How did you make out? It was slow for me until the wife called me to come home. The action was picking up and there were stacked on the vex but nothing of any size grabbed my hook.

Hey Northerns"R"Us: Nice to meet you. sounds like you had a good night too. I got out about 5:30 and marked fish right away in 26 feet. It was very slow and they were tight liped until about 7 PM. From 7-8 I could only fish with one rod. They were hitting a white and pink glow devil on the jig rod and a small red glow jig on the bobber rig. both were tiped with small crappie minnows. I caught about 45 fish and released all except a limit of 10 inchers.

PS: Moby1: I tried to give you a call on your cell but I must have had a wrong number, I got some women who said she didnt know a Moby.

------------------
"I'd rather be fishing"

Mike

hey moby1 thanks on the house. looks like we need to try a new spot? we need to get out during this warm spell. Minnetonka you were right about staying off the road. don't think gonna worry about snow after this weekend. thinking about heading out weds/thurs let me know. later Tim

Minnetonka
S.O.B. Was a hectic day at work and I accidentally put down my home #. Must've been my wife. She doesn't know about moby. That sucks! My mistake. Change that to 763-370-8424 for next time. Good to hear you had some decent fishing. Don't know when I'll get out next. I work with a lady that lives off the channell to black lake. She and the kids are gone for the week. We work in Shakoppe at a chemical company. That wouldn't be your wife would it. Just thought I'd ask. If yu are her husband you work for NWA.
Well, going to dentist now. Will have to close my eyes and imagine fishing.
Glad you like the house tim, now I can put the truck back in the gaarage....

Hey Moby1,

I saw you out there last night. I was going to stop by and say hello, but I had the wife with me and she wanted to get home. Hopefully I'll be able to join you the next time!

------------------
Tonka Boy

Moby:

I live on Phelps bay and its my wife who works for Northwest. Sorry you were not out last night, the fishing was hot. lots of numbers but I had to sort through 45 fish to keep 15. I stoped and intoduced myself to Northerns"R"us. It sounds like he had a good night to. The fishing was very slow from 5 until 7 and then they turned on until 8:30. I have some meetings I have to go to tonight so I wont be out. If your out there maybe the dog and I will walk out and say hello.

PS: Do you work for Chemrex?

------------------
"I'd rather be fishing"

Mike

[This message has been edited by Minnetonka (edited 03-11-2003).]

Hey Moby 1,
You dipped out early last Thursday and forgot to get you light that you lendt me.

I was outa comish over the weekend. I'm hoping to get out possibly on Wed, but that's still in the air.

Shooting for the weekend though. Can't wait for warm weather on the ice.

Any ways, we need to hook up so I can give that light back to you.

Later.
EBass

Hey Minnetonka,

I thought as of the new season the limit for crappies was 10...I'm not trying to start a fight or anything, just posting what I know.

Fishin Spooge

Minnetonka:I was out last night but didn't get much. Tim and myself were just a couple hundred yards away from northerns are us on the opposite side of the road. We had to leave around 8:30. What kind of vehicle do you drive? Yes I work for Chemrex, kinda. I work at the Chemrex headquarters but as of last year. The R&D department actually works under the degussa name but supports 4 other companies as well. I won't be able to go tonight. My wife isn't out of town. :+))
Looks like it may be time for a new spot , Tim. I think we need to hook up with Minnetonka.
Tonka boy, nest time stop by. Although I will be fishing somewhere els in the area probably.
Ebass: just drop it off when ya se me out.

Fishing_Spooge and others: Here is the link to the Minnesota DNR press release on the new limits and when they take effect. For Crappies the limit is still 15, until May 10, 2003 when it will go to 10. Check it out.

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/news/releases/index.html?id=1047408471

------------------
"I'd rather be fishing"

Mike