• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

minnetonka

hey all thinkin about hittin minnetonka thursday the problem is just don't where to start want to try for some crappies afternoon-evening fishin havn't been there for at least 10 years never had any luck on hardwater any info Thanks Tim

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• moby1

• EBass

• Tim L

• Tonka Boy

Top Posters In This Topic

I went out to Wayzata Bay last Friday to see if I could snag an eye before the season ended. Perched in 18 fow, right out from the marina (Northeast side of bay). Used the fire lane to get out there in my truck.

Well, I didn't have any luck...with the eyes, but I did catch a few good sized crappies. Let the first couple go, then, when the eyes wouldn't bite, I kept a few of the crapps.

Obviously, this doesn't mean you can go out there and catch a ton of crappies, but I thought it interesting that folks were not havein' any luck here. There were at least a dozen folks out there friday.?.

I used a slip-bobber with a minnow and bare hook and a glow grub jig (white). Good luck, let us know how it goes!

I haven't seen too many people out there lately...mostly snowmobiles. You may be better off trying Black lake or Spring Park bay. The bite has been pretty good on small glow jigs and crappie minnows. Most of the fish I'm finding are suspended 7-12' under the ice. Sunset to 9 PM are the best times.

------------------
Tonka Boy

Thanks Tonkaboy,
Have you been near goose island at all. I've seen alot of houses near the two island. I think they're on the weed line.

Is there a way to get onto wyazata bay with a truck? Is that access open all year? Going to maybe try that on Fri afternoon for a couple crappies.

Hey Setterguy,
Yes you can drive out on Wayzata, you can use the launch by the old boat works, right in downtown.

To you other Wayzata bay fishermen, what am I doing wrong? I took your advise from this thread, but I have still caught zero fish in the last three times out. I have been fishing Breezy Point so maybe I,m not on a good spot. Can someone give me a bit of advise?

Anyways Setterguy I might head out there on Friday also, so write back if you want to meet up, I can show you were the fish AREN'T biting.

Where is that access? I have never fished Wayzata in the winter, we always use the yacht club ramp, right off of 15. As of now me and Iceman 12 will be out there on Fri afternoon, we will be in a red f-250, with a black otter or a clown colored portable. Hope to see you out there!

There is an access to the lake right west of the train depot in downtown Wayzata. You can also just as easily drive out of the public access on the North East side of Wayzata bay.

gonna do it going tomorrow. tonka boy can you drive on black lake or is it walkin. spring park bay just drive on the access any certain area i should key in on follow the crowds stay away from crowds shallow/deep thanks Tim [email protected]

GreyGoose,
If you head out on the access by the yacht club. Drive straight out the plowed road and the first group of houses on the left is a good spot for panfish. I fished it a couple of times growing up and you could always catch a few. I might try it next week.

Tim .. the last I knew you could drive onto Black lake from the main road that runs beside it (# escaped me for moment). It might be a little hairy with your car but use a little bit of that *red neck* in you and get a good run at it and you'll make it without a problem. Just be sure not to get too much of the red neck or you'll clear the road.

I havent been out there for a while.. so I'm just working off of memory here which is slightly longer than 4 minutes.

You can park along the road also.

I've caught crappies in Gray's bay in the past... Fished this year in Wayzata bay for eyes, didn't see any crappies where we were, but we were fishing for eyes...

Gray's bay can be good, but I'd try the north end, black lake, maxwell bay or north arm... I've heard good reports for crappie and scummys in that area...

Black Lake and Spring Park bay are both usually pretty dependable to put out some fish... not neccessarily big, but some. Both locations can be a zoo... well, i guess thats the entire lake (tonka).

Tim,

I was out there last night on Spring Park Bay near Goose Island. Find any spot right where the weed line breaks to deep water. I was Icing 10-12" Crappies last night from 7:30-11pm. They were coming in about 6-8' under the Ice in 18-20' of water.

There is a good road going out from the access & around Goose.

Hope this helps,
SportFishin'

well at least it was great out there standing on the ice first hole I drilled marked fish. lots of crappies just no size biggest 9in and some of the smallest crappies I caught all year oh well maybe next time can get into some bigger fish

Thanks Gonzo.

I'll give her a try. I know Browns bay a little as I fish there in open water. I actually tried there last winter with no sucess. I know exactly where to launch on 15.

Do crappies roam in the main lake basin? Like over 80 feet supended at 30 or someting? You'd think some do and they would be big if found. Just day dreaming I guess.

I'll run this by my fishing buddy and see what he thinks. We'll be on Tonka somewhere forsure.

Thanks Gonzo,
EBass

I was wondering the same thing about the main lake basin? I never really understood why crappies suspend over deep water or why they are where they are at this time of year. I bet the deepest spot in the lake in Crystal bay which is right next to that weedy hump would hold some pigs if you want to walk or if you have a snowmobile, I have never fished there in the winter so I am not real positive of this. Ebass I think you should go there and let me know if you get into them.

I caught about 15 last night in 23 feet of water below the ice, most of them were small but the last 4 I caught were all 10 inches. This was one of my better spots last year that hardly anyone fished, last night there were quite a few people there. I left at 8pm

MJR,

I'll explore and explore some more. I'll post my results on Monday.

Thank for the info,
EBass

I'm heading out for Crappies on Sat. I'm not keeping any I just want some size. I don't like to be next to crowds. So I guess my Q is what bay/area holds the bigger crappies?

I normally fish on Wayzata, but willing to try any part of the lake now that eyes are off limits. Any guidence would be great. I'll post my results on Monday.

Thanks,
EBass

EBAss
Browns Bay holds some nice crappies. Find the depths around 12' and work deeper from there. I usually cut 30+ holes at various depths around the shallower structure and move around them as I see the crappies on the Vexilar. Sometimes they settle into a spot and you're good to go. I've done most of my crappie fishing out there from mid afternoon into the night as late as I want.
Good Luck wherever you go!

BTW
You can access Browns Bay right off of Cty Rd 15. If you're coming from the east, the drive on spot is right after the curve in the road on your left, basically as soon as you see the lake. You probably need a truck, as it's not an official access, and the rocks require a fair amount of clearance.

Gonzo or EBass,
What is the easiest way to Browns Bay from the North (Hwy 101)?
Is it safe to drive in places around Browns Bay ?

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!

well hit it again better results this time with some 10-12in fish caught still had to sort thur lots of small ones fishin in 23ft of water. the bigger fish 8ft under the ice. almost forgot I thought I was going crazy around 730pm look over to one of my holes and heres a 5lb Northen sticking out the hole it was like in a cartoon its head skicking out of the hole it looked like it took a couple gulps of air and sank back down the hole man was that WILD. Ive had muskrats swim up my holes but never a fish do that before. later Tim

Norski
Take 101 into Wayzata, access 394 west - take the cty rd 15 exit off 394. Drive on to Browns right after you get on 15 and the road curves to the left. As I stated in the earlier post, it's not a true access, and it's kinda rough.

fishnaddict went out around Goose Island nice plowed road all the way out there. I was gonna hit it again tonite had to do the family thing. Tim

I was out on Sat and the lake got the better of me this time. I went everywhere from Wayzata, to Browns, to all around the Big Island. I think I spent more time moving than fishing.

I saw perch and that was about it. Oh well it was cold and windy. Better luck next time.

Going to Mille next weekend to get the house off. Maybe go for dem perch since that's the only species I can find.

Later,
EBass

Fished N.Arm Saturday between 3 and 7 caught only 7 fish between 2 guys. Pretty small ones too. I suspect the pressure may have had something to do with it.

---Zdaddy