• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Minnetonka Turnover

Does anyone know if the turnover has happened or begun on any of the Minnetonka bays yet? If not, when does it happen and what are the water temperatures when it typically starts? Also, does anyone know what the water temperatures currently are now?

-Gregg B.

Being that warm, I would guess we are nowhere near the turnover yet. Of course, this is a rather intense cold snap. Bet you don't go swimming this weekend blush.gif

-Gregg B.

Certainly not during the turnover, but fishing can be great after. My experience has been, the fish seem to be scattered as the turnover is taking place. Afterwards, the fish group together, and when you find fish, you can hammer them. Very good time to catch big fish also. Just my 2 cents. Good fishing.

I fished on Lake Riley in EP/Chan on Tuesday evening and did fine...the water was somewhat clear. I fished it last night and it was the dead sea and the water was almost like pea soup and substantially colder than Tues. I think it turned over or was in the process of doing so...

Thanks for the info. If the lake hasn't turned over yet, it must be very close now. Personally, I think some parts of Minnetonka have already turned over. Maxwell Bay had alot of floating weed debris, stained water and seemed colder than usual. Browns Bay looked similar and also had that certain "decaying plant" smell. Crystal Bay looked to be still fairly clear (4-5'), but was starting too see more dead weeds on the surface. Of course, I don't know if any of this has to do with boat traffic or whatever.

-Gregg B.