• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Crow Wing County - Fox Lake

Has anyone fished this lake? What can you tell me about it...Is there a good population of fish / what kinds...Presentations? Im going to a friends cabin and was curious about it

i grew up on this lake it is definatly not what it was. way too much fishing pressure i counted 53 boats one day between the 2 lakes this summer. full of 2-4# pike, crappies not bad, nice bass this time of year. walleyes are tough to find but they are there.

I have been on West Fox for the last 15 years, and like has already been mentioned, it definitely isn't what it used to be. Way too many people fishing, and way too many people keeping everything they catch. Haven't caught a northern over 3 pounds in almost 10 years. Tons of 12-14" bass, tons of tiny sunfish. Never had much luck with crappies...occasionally I will catch one by accident. Walleyes are definitely easier to catch through the ice than during open water (for me anyways), but there still doesn't seem to be a lot of them. Maybe others have noticed this, but over the last 7-8 years, the cabbage beds in West Fox have drastically disappeared. Where there used to be nice, big, thick cabbage beds, there are now just beds of junk...the poorer fishing seems to have coincided with the loss of these cabbage beds.

As far as presentations go, I have have pretty good action just fishing the outside weed edges, starting around 15 feet and sometimes going as deep as 25 feet, with a lead head jig and a 7" power worm...just hop it along and the fish will find it.

TProGuy pretty much spelled it out. Small bass and pike, decent pannies (compared to metro sunnies) at times. Walleyes seem to be really tough to figure out. There's fish around, just don't expect a whole lot.

Crow Wing County and Milwaukee are miles apart....

If you're old enough to remember that TV commercial, it was filmed on Fox.