• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• WE CREATE LONG TERM, MEANINGFUL RELATIONSHIPS IN HERE ... PLEASE JOIN US.

You know what we all love...

RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE
    When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
cliffy

Swing Hitch Help

cliffy

Guys, I need your opinions! This is sorta a long story for such a small questions..so please stay with me.

A week or so ago I was visiting a buddy that lives in Hawley. We were talking about my new house/garage that I am building. The subject turned to garage space and the idea of converting my boat trailer to a swing hitch. My buddy is extremely handy when it comes to fabricating anything with metal. He suggested that I let him have a shot at converting my trailer. I had nothing to lose so I brought my boat/trailer over. The next day he calls and said it was done.

I am very impressed with his work and design. It saves me about three feet of space. Its rock solid and I like the idea I can swing it either direction. He also wrapped my wiring in a safety coil/tubing and gave the thing a coat of primer and paint. I think it looks awesome!!! He then mentioned that it was rather simple and he wouldnt mind doing a few other trailers on the side for some extra cash. He asked what people normally pay for such a service. Keep in mind he did this starting at scratch. I have no idea!!! So, my question is this: For those of you that have bought kits and converted your trailers...roughly how much did it cost? Anyone have any opinions on what might be a fair price for such service/job. Thanks.

Cliffy.

DSC00052.jpg

DSC00053.jpg

DSC00050.jpg

huntnfish

That looks very slick, Cliffy. He did a very good job on the design and finish. I think I saw a kit at one of the stores for around $50 but it definately wasn't that nice. I would think he could get around triple that for the job that he does. I think a swing away is a must of you are planning on putting a boat in a garage.

Code-Man

I was checking out some site it was like recreationalsalvage (Contact Us Please) com it's a place around DL that has wrecked stuff and they had an auction going for one. You might be able to look around and find a trailor that's been wrecked and get it that way. The ones I've seen are nice if you have a long boat short garage. We fortunately planned for our shop and don't have to worry about it. but check out that site if you can find it.

fisherdog19

Looks like a nice deal there Cliffy, really handy that it swings both ways, no pun intended. Haven't talked to you in a while, where you building your new home?

cliffy

Yeah, that was the joke when I picked it up.....swinging both ways.

We are building in South Moorhead. The new place should be ready in about 3-4 weeks. We sold our old place (by owner) in one weekend....that was back in mid or late June. So we have been living with an old college roommate of mine....friends and family discount on the basement level of his home in Dilworth. Gotta love good friends.

Cliffy.

wplatehunter

I have seen the kits at Fleet Farm for approx $100.

cliffy

Well, there must not be too many people that have a need for such a hitch. I thought perhaps more people would have an opinion. I spoke to my buddy and he thought 100.00 was about the right price. He lives in Hawley MN....if anyone is ever interested in getting this done to their trailer, shoot me an e-mail and I can hook you up.

Cliffy.