• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

What would you do???

Gofishleech

well the bear we want has stoped comimg to the bait, he was spooked off by a cough a week ago. The bait is getting hit again but it is a sow and 3 cubs. We already know my son is not going to shot her but there are some who have said the cubs are 2 years old and she will be kicking them away very soon anyway. He are some picks,let me know what you "bear hunters" think

sow-cubs-2.JPG

sow-cubs-1.JPG

sow-cubs-3.JPG

email them to me and I can post them for you

j _ orbeck@ yahoooo dottttttt com

just get rid of the all the spaces.

or if you go to this Pic post On page 3 I had gave someone else help on how to post pics.

Quote:

email them to me and I can post them for you

j _ orbeck@ yahoooo dottttttt com

just get rid of the all the spaces.

or if you go to this
On page 3 I had gave someone else help on how to post pics.

Thanks, I had placed photos before, the problem was my pop-up blocker was blocking the image box.

Cubs can be tough to judge, our policy is sows are not shot. Granted those could be yearlings or they could be healthy cubs either way those are the future of bear hunting and momma is helping to make sure they stay safe until old enough to look after themselves.

Plus can you stomach feild dressing a sow when the cubs keep trying to come to her for safety?...it will tear your heart out no matter how tough you think you are.

yes thats how we feel about it also. Do you know when she will breed and run off the cubs?

Thats tought news GFL, sorry to hear that. A lessoned learned, I know I've learned mine this year. I cant remember are you on private land? if so those cubs might be good to go next year, if there two year old cubs I think momma will run them of soon, not sure though. Why not just keep fatting them up for next year, help them get throuhgt the winter an go at it again. lot of fun watching bears in the woods, good observation time for your son an good memories to. Boar

Thinking about it a little more, theres a mounth of hunting left, if she dose chase them off an she comes in alone that big guy might not be to far behind or maybe one bigger. If ya have the time keep going at it an see what happens. boar

We are on public land. We have some time left to hunt and who knows what can happen. I do know that this coming weekend there will be alot more activity in the woods. My son is hunting out of a double-bull and starting friday that and the camera will have to be pulled for the weekends. I hate to change anything in the area but them bull blinds and cameras are not cheap.

Plus knowingly shooting a sow is taking away future bear in your area. (never even thought about the gutting out Mom bit with the cubs trying to hang around... no thanks) Every breeding age sow left walking means more bears tomorrow. I also recently learned that wolves will take down cubs when they no longer have Mom to guard there backs... so you may be ringing the death knell for the cubs if Mom is taken... and she must be in her prime breeding age to pull off triplets...

I realize dry sows are shot now and then and that's the way the dice rolls, but I'd never shoot a sow if I could I.D. her as such... cubs or not.

Good Luck!

Ken

I would say that those are two year olds, but they are most likely also going to winter with her if they are with her yet now. I personally wouldn't put them in harms way by harvesting her. Keep after it. Good things come to those who are patient!!! If she just showed up recently, there's a chance a different boar might suddenly appear. It's good to see that you are instilling good ethics into your son!!! smile.gif

I've had that same thing happen to me during deer hunting, shoot a doe with the bow and then have to run the fawn(s) off to do the gutting.... Then worse yet that same orphan fawn hangs around that area for weeks. And the same as bears, I think the adult doe can help those fawns survive longer into the fall and winter.

The breeding season has passed for this year and I would have to say those cubs look way too short and round to be anything but healthy cubs from this years litter. They have had a very good summer for natural foods and look to be in great shape, but I'm afraid that without the sow, they won't live to become 2-year olds. Between the wolves, older boars, and mother nature, orphaned cubs stand very little chance without becoming nuisance bears. Just my .02!