• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

names

R. Miller

Okay...I'm bored here at work...dreaming about bird hunting. Question:

What's everyone's favorite dog names?

One of my Springers is named Chewbacca or Chewy for short.

My next male will be Tigger. That's Ti double g rrrrr. Bounce is what springers do best you know.

PoleBender

The best one that I have heard was a friend of a friend of( you get the idea)named his dog askum. So when the neighborhood kids would come by and ask what his dogs name was he would respond askum tongue.gif

My dog's name is Marli.

Other dogs we've had in the past are:

Booser

Jake

Maggie

Tausha

Semi

Sully

Brutus

and many more...

I currently have Dale and Jeffrey. In the past I've had,

Coolie

Bozo

Thumper

Tammy

Dog

and Mutley.

I now have "Gus" the Dog.

In the past I've had: Bella, Molly, Woody, Bell, and Flair.

If I ever get a female black lab I'll name it Pearl. I like the names Earl and Ed or Eddy (female), too, as well as the traditional names Duke, Beau, Zeus, etc. I think male dogs are easier to name.

I have a buddy who comes from a big family and he always names his dogs after a brother, sister or relative. I find that just humorous.

I prefer the more non-traditional names. I personalize each dogs registered name and pull something out of that name for there call name.

Labs I've had:

Corks

Aggie

Suzie

Scooter

Breeze

Mako

Mess

Chug

Hobo

Nora

Cash

Had a shorthair 'Baron'

and a Cocker 'Chaser'

Their pedigree names that co-incide with the call names will many times bring a chuckle...

Good Luck!

Ken

My current dog is named Zeus. Thought about naming him Elvis, but decided against it. The kids wanted Nemo, but there was absolutely no way.

Childhood dogs were Copper and Duke

I'm on my first two labs.

Buffalo Bill Cody (Cody for short)

General Douglas MacArthur (Mac for short)

Growing up my Mom named our dog Mon! Then all she had to say was Come On!...Wisdom of mothers.....

There is a short story by Bob Cary, I think in "The Portages Grow Longer," where much to his dismay Bob's wife buys a non-hunting type dog. He contemplates trying to train it, and whether it has any natural instinct left. A friend witnesses a strange act by the dog (with a butterfly?). The friend proclaims, "That dog is nuts, it'll never hunt."

Bob names the dog "Nuts of Neverhunt."

Funny name would be Permission. That way when you see a sign that says No Hunting witout Permission you're covered.

Just kidding. Our 4 dogs are named Titus, Grace, Brownie, and Gabby! I had a long lived Shepard once named Kama. It means wished for.

Fun question! My current dog is named Scout, from my favorite book "To Kill a Mockingbird". We are thinking about adding to the family this spring and we have already begun the name search. We could go with Jem, Scouts brother in the book, or Boo as in Boo Radley. Atticus may be too long. Any suggestions - will most likely be a black lab. Names of past dogs:

Trapper

Bo (as in Bocephus)

Sampson (Sam)

Samtu (Sam2)

I need help too you guys!!! I am getting a female springer this week. My first hunting dog. I was thinking of Jasmine. But I am still undecided. I would like something that is unique. Something that has to do with hunting, or the outdoors. Any help?

I almost named my dog Sampson. I wanted to name my dog Beavis, but my wife wouldn't let me. I've always thought Ragnar would be a good name for a hunting dog. Or if you want to go deep into Norse mythology, Fenris would also be a good name...

My last springer was named Remington, usually got called Rem, and my new shorthair puppy is Leopold and usually gets called Leo.

Someone gave good advice on names, perhaps on this site a while back. Don't name your dog something too 'girly' You don't want to be out in the field with your friends yelling come here princess or whatever.

Here are a few:

Gracie

Lily

Maggie

Stella (one of my dogs names)

Rose

I like naming dogs with names common in my grandparents generation.

My lab is named Radar. I was going to go with Radar O' Riley on his AKC papers (his pops was Riley) but got him fixed so I never submitted his papers.