• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

cuddeback

ortonville

i was thinking about getting a cuddeback camera.when looking at them i see that they take a compactflash card what are these? are they the same as a sd card? they look different the camera that i now have takes a sd card and i just take the digital camera with me into the field and stick the card in it and view the pictures.if there is any pictures on it i want to keep i put in a new card and down load the pictures to my computer with the camera.or take it in a devlop any picture i want to keep.would i be able to do the same thing with the cuddeback and a compact flash card? any help on this would be great.i would like to know this before i spend a bunch of money

Just by an extra CF card to switch out in the camera each time you go to check it. Put the blank card in the trail cam and bring the CF card that has the pics on it, back home to the computer and download it with a card reader (about $15 at any electronics store... or even Gander or Cabelas) and presto! view full size pics on your computer monitor. Buy a photo printer for around $100 dollars and print off your own photos of the pics you choose. Go for it! You can even hook up the card reader to the TV and look at the bucks on your TV set. They even make readers that are 'photo albums' that hook up to the TV and store around 2000 photos. They only run around $80.

Good Luck!

Ken

I'll add this........

Be aware that Cuddeback has taken a turn for the worse the past couple years. The new Excite and Expert cameras are not what the old C3000 models were for longevity or quality.

Theres plenty of negative press on the products and support the past couple seasons on some of the trail camera websites and forums.

The other down side to any camera with the CF cards is that its got pins in the camera that plug into the memory card.

I much prefer cameras with SD cards or with the homebrew trail cameras you can use the Memory Pro and Duo. No pins to worry about getting bent that may either wreck the camera, the card, or the card reader.

I have made the mistake and bent a pin on a card reader, and wrecked it. Not that its expensive, but bend a pin in the camera, and you are looking at big problems.

No, an SD card and a CF card are not the same. They are a totally different media, but like Labs said, you can buy a reader that scans all the diff. types of cards like SD, xD, CF, Sony Memory Stick etc.

The fortunate part is most of these cards have gotten very cheap. You can find 1GB cards for around $30-40 and they will hold around 1000 pics.

The one nice option with the Cuddeback is there is no flash to spook the deer everytime a photo is taken. I have seen many photo's with the deer looking plenty scared. I would think this has to effect the deer.

The Cuddeback No Flash is a pretty nice camera and we have gotten some good pics also.

Being a camera junky for 3+ years, I think there are cases it MIGHT scare a deer. But one thing I have posted many times over..... If you hunt in ANY area that has human activity, roads, farming, etc.... A quick flash isnt going to scare a deer into the next county.... Just my opinion.

If you are miles off the nearest road, yeah, you might scare them, but I still dont believe its going to spook them from the land forever. I'd hate to know how deer would act with some lightning in the sky as compared to when a quick flash hits them. grin.gif

I just don't buy it that they are impacted that much. Especially in the southern 2/3's of the state where human activity is the norm for the most part.

Thats my issue, we are way off the road and deer really dont see any humans or cars. Some photos the deer really look suprised when a flash goes. maybe its just my spooky North Dakota deer in our remote area.

I just wonder how much the deer associate the flash with a small area? Again, I'm in a different situation with being in a more remote area.

I still cant believe it impacts them to the point they vacate the area.

Its a quick flash and done.

I know it surprises them, but to the point they leave altogether..... I just find it unlikely.

Completely my opinion though. I cant say I have experience in a super remote area. I can say that where our land is, there is "stuff" happening during the day, but at night you can hear the mosquitoes breathing its so quiet, and I have tons of photos of a single deer in front of the cam for several pics at a time.

I dont know if they shy away after 3-4 flashes, I just wonder. I guess I look at it as if you dont need a flash, then why have one.

Truth be told, if you can shell out the dough for IR cams, then yes, why not.

I have a 2 fold reason for flash cams. I like to see good pics of the deer, and I dont want to sink upwards of $500 for a single IR cam.

But you are correct. If an IR is an option for the budget, and it fits the needs. Its the deal!

I'll second the notion about the new cuddeback's.

I bought an expert last year and it didn't work worth a crap. the batteries only lasted a week (yes one week) and it wouldn't save pictures to the memory card. I sent it back in december and they supposedly had it fixed. this summer the batteries wouldn't last more than a month and I had about 6 pictures taken at night out of 400. about 50-60% of the pictures were blurry and sometimes the flash wouldn't go off when it obviously needed to. when the flash did go off, the range was only about 25 feet. thus, the camera is back at the company for the next month at least.

I would not recommend one. they must be having lots of problems, because when I was calling their hotline, it took forever to get an operator.

Im gonna go with biglakebass here. My cuddebacks are not that impressive! The trigger is nice but they are not worth the money. Im glad Cabelas has a good return policy!

I also want good photos, worthy of an 8x10! That can only be found in color flash cameras. I dont think they scare deer any more than an IR camera. I wouldnt put one by a stand because I have seen the deer avoid them. But a flash cam wont scare a deer off a property!

My 2 cents... if your realy concerned about spooking deer I hope your wearing rubber boots and gloves and no-scenting your camera, because the smell of human intrusion is going to be just as critical if not more, than the flash of a camera! Thats how I see it. smile.gif

I always wear rubber boots and when I handle things in the woods I wear rubber gloves also to reduce my human scent.

Sounds to me like I will be having issues with a Cuddeback in time. frown.gif

You never know... my third one crazy.gifhas lasted a long time. Its like anything... theres always some lemons out there, dont worry until you have a problem.

well here is my take on cuudy cameras. I would stay away from cuddy, alot of bad press and I personaly have a excite and its junk. There are numerous issues with it, and I don't like the "screw to the tree" if it too tight the bateries fall out and then you have to reset all times and dates. I have two leaf-rivers and they work great and have for years. they are a bit slow but I place the camera accordingly.

My take on flash, Twice I put my flash camera on scrapes and both times I would only get a buck only once. I will not chance it on scrapes any more. I got a no-flash and can get the same buck over and over again.

Now over salt or food the flash does not bother them that I can tell. But when I buy again it will be a no-flash.

Quote:

I'll second the notion about the new cuddeback's.

I bought an expert last year and it didn't work worth a crap. the batteries only lasted a week (yes one week)

I would not recommend one. they must be having lots of problems, because when I was calling their hotline, it took forever to get an operator.

I had the same problem with my Expert and the battery life. It's currently at Cuddeback getting fixed. Hopefully get it back next week though I'm not holding my breath. I also had the same issue with their "hotline". I ended up using their website to get the service I needed. I havnet had the flash or pic saving issues (yet). mad.gif

Friends dont let friends buy Cuddeback or Leaf River any longer........... Sad as it is to say.

i have a ir cudde and it works great 3 weeks in the woods about 200 pictures and still 75% batt left only downfall is black and white night pictures but are clear and easy to view just thought i would share my exp.

Quote:

Friends dont let friends buy Cuddeback or Leaf River........... Sad as it is to say.

I have two leaf-rivers and have no complaints with them. I have had the first one for four years now and use it from the time the antlers start growing till late winter.

I have just recently purchased a no flash. It seems to work good with just one problem that I don't know what has caused them. Twice it has taken pictures (like 400) on a continuous one minute interval for many hours. It started at about midnight and continued into the morning hours. Any idea why this is doing this, or should I be calling up Cuddeback and chewing some arsk? wink.gif

Typically thats a sign of low battery life.

If you are confident it had new batteries in it, you better start the arse chewin.

From what I have seen the flash has not spooked our deer. We have hat 2 big 9 pointers hang out in front of the cameras for 2 hours at night getting multiple pics and 1 even laid down in front of it, they just kept looking at it.