• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• WE CREATE LONG TERM, MEANINGFUL RELATIONSHIPS IN HERE ... PLEASE JOIN US.

You know what we all love...

RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE
    When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
drowningworms

Smallmouths in Beltrami? Any big ones?

drowningworms

Hey, was going to fish Beltrami and heard a rumor that there may be Smallies in there? Any truth to that? Was hoping to fish it first week of October to find out, or should I save myself some time and just fish Grace for bucketmouths? Any info appreciated - Scott

Chris Haley

Yes, smallies were brought in on the back of eagles I thnk. wink.gif So now there is a small population of them along with a population of muskie.

woodman

Yes there are! Catch them when we go out to the cabin in the summer. Those eagles sure are sneaky! grin.gif

genegodawa

not to mention, the guides and the locals!

drowningworms

Thank you! We are hunting both Muskys and Smallies. My parents have a place on Movil. My Dad and I are starting to branch out into the area lakes and I sure appreciate the heads up. I'll report back to this after our trip (Oct. 5-7).

ducksnbucks

The population is growing pretty quick as well. Caught some real nice smallies out there this year, many between 16 and 19 inches. Nice largemouths as well.

cluelessfisherman

I don't know if I would go and target them as there doesn't seem to be a major fishable population of smallies. We just end up catching one here and one there by accident - especially when we jig or troll along the rock pile and points.

As far as skies - I haven't personally caught one in there, but swear I had one in the river follow that looked an awful lot like a ski - and that was before anyone talked about seeing them in the lake, so I thought I was on crazy pills!

Jeremiah Johnson

we also have caught them on accident and going for them. biggest one being 14" fished hard one evening for them, but they were all smaller ones. anyone know what other lakes around bemidji hold smallies?

drowningworms

Thanks everyone! We had a good time on Beltrami with 22 fish between Largemouths and Pike with a couple of the bass taping out at 17 inches. No smallies, but it was still a blast in the 3 hours or so we got to fish. No skies either frown.gif

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

Announcements

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• pikeandchester
      Spent a couple hours on German. Slow fishing, just a couple small sunnies, the boy and I where happy to be out though.  Water temperature ranged from mid 60s to mid 70s. No fresh vegetation and dirty water. Must still be running a bit behind despite the warm weather.
    • Raven77
      Got to get the first fish guts on it yesterday!
    • Raven77
      Interesting. So the sows are still in shallow? We fished 10-24' the past 3 days and have done well with a lot of 14-18" eyes using Lindy rigs and rainbows.  
    • Raven77
      Here's my new boat.  Saw probably 30 Verados in the past 3 days on the east and and west ends.  
    • redlabguy
      We had two fishing tournaments this weekend. Walleyes on Saturday and bass on Sunday. I met the bass winners today and talked to them about their walleye win Saturday. That’s right, they won both!  On Saturday, they entered the walleye tournament but just because they were on the lake to pre-fish for bass. They fished with stick baits in shallow water, looking for bass beds. As shallow as 4’. And dang if they didn’t keep catching walleyes. Big ones, including 2 over 26”. 21 lbs. in all. Apparently, they’re pretty good at finding bass, too. Big $ weekend for them!
    • BRL
      Ugly Saturday on Norwegian Bay. One Pike off of Windsock Island, nothing else much to speak of. Cold and windy but finished off with a beautiful Evening. There were a couple of good eyes caught near the north end, a 27" and a couple in the slots but most boats didn't see much. I saw 2 caught in front of the beach at Life of Riley in a matter of a couple minutes.  Sunday morning we met up with some friends and went out of Tower. Dragging bottom bouncers with minnows in 24-32' produced 11 keepers between the 4 of us, largest about 16" and lots of throw backs. Best luck just off of Priest Island. 4 hours of fishing with everyone except me pulling them in the boat until the last 10 minutes I put two in the livewell. I broke off with 10 minutes to go and was going to quit when everyone said "no, keep going!"  Glad I did cause I finished strong and redeemed myself. Never give up!
    • JBMasterAngler
      Went to Franconia on Saturday. Wind was cold and miserable! With it howling straight downstream, my options were pretty limited, so we mostly trolled up and down the main channel. Caught 1 pike, 2 smallies, and 1 white bass.
    • ANYFISH2
      Things seem to be moving right along.  Yesterday on a small Cass county lake we found sunfish and crappies in 6ft+/- ft of water with some crappies already on beds.
    • osok
      Looks like it was a successful outing ST. My boat probably  hates me as I haven't had it out for a swim yet. MAYBE, if I'm lucky I will be able to get out over Memorial weekend. Thanks for the report.  
    • monstermoose78
      Most of the streams are small. Where I focus is the small streams in the back country for brook trout. Casting is hard on these streams. Some of the bigger rivers can be good. Remember the crazy rules on these streams.