• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

After a kill at a bait site

north red river

Ok so I got a bear at the one bait site I had which had been getting hit everyday....now that i've killed one on the site it hasn't got hit since. Is this normal? If so how far away should I start another site being i've had 4-6 bears coming in?

well that depends on how much property you have. i normally keep my baits about one mile apart. If that is not possible try moving the bait a couple of hundered yards and try a test bait. Or look for travel areas like funnels of pinch points. Also was the bear dressed out right at the bait site or did you dress it else where?

if ya move do a scent drag with a gunny sack full bread or dog food soaked in grease or mollasses an drag it from the frist site to the new one, so they can key in on the new site alot faster. Boar

It was dressed about 300 yards away out of the woods in a open field. All I have is a 1 mile square section to hunt and I like to be at least a half mile of the tar road so it kinda limits my options.

Well I do agree then with starting a new bait and doing a scent drag to lead the bears there. No it has also been real warm lately and maybe when the weather cools down a bit the baits will be hit some more.

It will take back off, it usually takes a few days or up to a week. If it don't pick up after that, then it would pay to move it. Even if you only move it a few yards sometimes is more than sufficient.