• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Hi- Got back from staying at a private cabin on Clear. Pretty slow. CK_ I tried trolling with all kinds of stuff but could not buy an 'eye. Around the islands-on the South bowl in all depths, but no dice. Caught a lot and I mean a lot of little slimers, a lot of Bass and some sunnies. Never did find the crappies. We enjoyed our stay and liked the little burg of Glen as well. Not to far a drive, either.. Lot of nice folks around there. Plan to go there again and try again to find the eyes. Anyone have any thoughts/suggestions? 8-Ball.

It's been years,like 20 years ago that I had been on it.

There's a bunch of other lakes I can put you on fish up here.

• 2 weeks later...

My folks have a cabin on Clear and I have fished it for years. The Lake is a dishpan lake in that it has very little structure. There is some around the Island and the small Island off the North Shore. Fish just off the weedline and troll a spinner. The best fisihg in Clear is at night either in the Spring or Fall. Most of the Eyes are weed oriented so fish the weedlines. Clear does have Crappies but you realy have to fish the lake to find them. Best bet is the basin on the South shore in about 20 feet+ of watter and pray a lot. Clear has lots of little slimers and an over aboundance of small panfish. The Lake has been fished out over the years and the DNR restocks the lake with Eyes about every 10 years or so. If you are looking for large Pike try Sweamp Lake about 5 miles east of Clear. Ask directions at the Clear Lake Store or fish Dam Lake which is just North of Clear about 10 miiles. If yoiu want or need any other info let me know.

Uncle- Thanks for the info. Yep, caught a ton of little snakes. Lot of Bass and some nice sunnies. No 'eyes to speak of. When you refer to the Clear Lake Store, do you mean the station/bait store in Glen? Thanks for the info..8-Ball

Yes! When I refer to the store at Glen I mean the gas station/Restaurant/Liquor Store/Bait shop on the corner of South Clear Lake Road and Highway 47.

However, for mymoney I would by my bait at either gas station in Malmo. Especialy the store next to the Restaurant in Malmo. The bait is better and more varied. The store at Glen only has a limited variety mostly crappie minows and a few sickly suckers and a few crawlers.

You would be better off driving the 5 miles south in my opinion and buying bait in Malmo.

As for Walleyes, I would lok at Dam Lake which is about 10 miles north of Clear and about 4 miles to the East as you head up toward Aitkin. I was on Dam this summer about 5:30 Am and through some dead minnows over the side and wathed about a 12 pound Walleye come up and take one of the floaters. In about 15 minutes al;l of the minows were gone. I was fishing the South end of the lake in about 35-40 feet of water.

Good Luck!

Uncle- I hear ya on the bait shop. I have bought a lot of bait in my day, but I have never been charged for minnows by a "per minnow" cost. I asked for a scoop of minnows, and the gal (at the Glen Store) said they charge per minnow. At first, I thought she was just kidding.I couldn't believe it-but she actually counted each minnow and put them in the bag. You would think a place would want a return customer based on good business practices. Not there- I will never buy any bait there again.

The store is only about 2 years old and the new owner does not seem very interested in supplying the fishing crowd. The fact is that most of the cabin people around Clear Lake are getting older and grayer and don't seem to spend much time on the water. Which makes clear a nice lake to fish because there are few boats on it.

The new owner seems to be more interested in pumping gas and selling a few groceries. I suspect he keeps a limited supply of bait but not much because he does not want to invest in a lot of tanks and air pumps and stuff. (His minnow tanks are a couple of plastic sinks, as I recall.)

Well I suppose we all have to make a living as best we can and bait can be hard to keep if you don't have a lot of turnover and I suspect he is unwilling to invest in it until it starts to pay off more??

I will say that the restaurant is a good deal. They make an excellent hamburger and they have an absolutely HUGE walleye sandwich for under 5 dollars that simply cannot be beat. If you are in the area and want something to munch on pick up a couple and take them out on the boat with you. Trust me you will thank me later for the tip.

A fgood suggestion is to pick up a copy of 'THE Brainerd Area/Aitkin County Fishing Map Guide". This is a large binder type book printed by THE SPORTSMANS CONNECTION. It lists all of the lakes in the Aitkin area (including Clear), what you can find in them, what patterns to use and other info. I bought one a couple of years ago for about $20.00.

The company also prints these map guides of all of the areas in the state and Wisconsin. I have most of them. I find them very good. You might want to invest in one of them. You can buy them practically all over. Bass Pro, Gander Mountain, most bait shops, etc.

Thanks for the info..Yep, I have just about every Sportsman Connection book for Minny. Some good general info. Although I have noticed they could use some updated versions-alot of the stocking/net info is from the early-to-mid 90's so not real accurate...I will grab the 'eye sandwich next time we are through the area. Can't beat a good 'eye sand. unless you cook up a fresh shore lunch...

8-Ball! I just noticed you live in New Brighton! I live in Fridley. We really ought to get together some time and spend some time on the water around here. Failing that maybe go over to long and drown a few worms and beers on the dock over there. Maybe we can pick up a Northern or three?