• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Legal Caliber for Small Game - Grouse????

tbreuhl

I am planning on heading up north for grouse opener soon (not soon enough) and am thinking of trying something new. I found these 9mm with buck shot like bullets. Not sure if they are sold for fun only or if you can actually use them on grouse. I could only find rules on big game hunting but not much on small game - specifically grouse. Anyone know where I can find the regs on that?

As far as I know, that would count as a "legal method of taking game". Just because it comes out of a hand gun doesn't make it illegal. Growing up in Maine, my dad carried his .38 special revolver with bird shot shells in every other chamber. If I had a permit to carry I would probably do the same.

Just my $.02

The conceal and carry comment also brings up a good question. I'm pretty sure when I am out in the woods hunting - I do not need a conceal and carry license. Does anyone think I am wrong? The last thing I want is to get in trouble for a stupid decision.

two comments:

not sure if shooting buckshot through your 9MM is the best for the barrel. I will read through my regs, but I don't think you can conceal your firearms while you are hunting, unless you have a CCW. I could be wrong, I usually am

unless you are talking about the magsafe loads for personal protection, those are kind of spendy though aren't they?

i dont think there are any caliber or shot type restrictions on grouse. the only thing i think might be illegal is full metal jacket bullets. i know for deer it has to be a single perjectile of expanding type.

i think your safe, but id send the DNR an email. right now they reply in a day or two.

id print a copy of the reply too, and throw it in your gun case just to be on the safe side.

Page 45:

Partridge and Pheasant

• A person may not shoot pheasants or Hungarian partridge with a

rifle or handgun other than a .22 caliber rimfire using short, long,

or long rifle ammunition.

Quote:

The conceal and carry comment also brings up a good question. I'm pretty sure when I am out in the woods hunting - I do not need a conceal and carry license. Does anyone think I am wrong? The last thing I want is to get in trouble for a stupid decision.

Just have a holster outside your clothing and I think you would be fine. Those "bird shot" loads I think have a plastic coating on them to help against barrel damage.

Sounds like a poor idea, bird shot from a handgun has very limited range and affectivness. Too small of a shot charge. Why not use a shotgun, do you have trouble with being able to carry a shotgun? Tooo heavy? If you are looking for a more challenging shot, try a .410.

no killing power you would have to be really close if you want to go with a challange try using o them 410 handguns.

I think a wise move would be to talk to a CO at the DNR. Ignorance is no excuse. I think I would also check with the sheriff about the conceal and carry. I would think that the shot shells are for close range. You might get a dumb grouse to sit still at a 20' range. Most of the grouse I ve seen put on the after burners as soon as they see you. My question is why not carry a lite shotgun if you want some grouse shooting? Its more fun.

Quote:

no killing power you would have to be really close if you want to go with a challange try using o them 410 handguns.

I think scout was talking about a .410 shotgun, not handgun.

Waste of time with the handgun bird shot. "snake shot" it's called out west. Good for a grouse to about 12 feet. grin.gifWay more effective to get proficient with a slingshot! LOL

It is legal to shoot grouse with the bird shot from a handgun/rifle caliber. The only thing that is restricted is a single projectile larger than a .22 Long Rifle. Otherwise, it's legal according to the DNR

i thought i had seen that any hunter above 18 years?? could take a handgun into the bush at least for deer hunting season. ill check and see if i can find that part.

also dont be mislead by the word CONCEAL CARRY. At least last time i read the conceal and carry law .. IT NEVER STATES the weapon must be concealed. in other words if i have a permit to carry i can carry it outside showing on my body...(not a good idea and defeats the purpose) but you would be allowed to do so. ......SOOOO if you make your gun visible in the BUSH while having no CC license does that make it righ??? i dont know what im saying im falling asleep at work..

let me read the regs

Quote:

i thought i had seen that any hunter above 18 years?? could take a handgun into the bush at least for deer hunting season. ill check and see if i can find that part.

also dont be mislead by the word CONCEAL CARRY. At least last time i read the conceal and carry law .. IT NEVER STATES the weapon must be concealed. in other words if i have a permit to carry i can carry it outside showing on my body...(not a good idea and defeats the purpose) but you would be allowed to do so. ......SOOOO if you make your gun visible in the BUSH while having no CC license does that make it righ??? i dont know what im saying im falling asleep at work..

let me read the regs

Conversely to this, I though I understood that more or less anyone can carry a pistol without a CC permit as long as it's exposed or unless expressly forbidden.

Any truth to that, or just one of those urban legends?

Quote:

Conversely to this, I though I understood that more or less anyone can carry a pistol without a CC permit as long as it's exposed or unless expressly forbidden.

Any truth to that, or just one of those urban legends?

This is correct - I have had a gun on my hip and spoke to both to a county sheriff and to a game warden. When I was talking to the sheriff I remembered I was wearing the pistol on my hip, it was Thanksgiving weekend and I had on quite a few cloths. I lifted my coat a little so the cop I was talking to saw it - he never missed a beat in the story he was telling - but he did look at it. I figured it was good that he saw I was carrying so he knew. He never even mentioned my pistol. Obviously you can’t wear your weapon in your vehicle ect. But while your in the woods what are you supposed to do with your pistol if it is not in your holster!

Conceal and carry is as its name implies. Conceal and carry applies to weapons hidden from plain view. Unconcealed there is no law aside from state/local ordinances that may restrict uncased weapons under certain conditions. A holster does not qualify as a case.

It is perfectly legal for me to strap on my hip holster with my .44 and go deer hunting without a CC permit.

Bob