• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Lake Jennie Fishing Reports

Havent fished Jennie in quite a few years, just wondering if anyone has had any luck since the overgrowth of weeds in the lake? I have caught all my big walleyes out of this lake and would love to get back into them again.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bassNspear

• schwoper777

• My_Key

• LMITOUT

From what i have heard is that the lake does die off later in the year (right around this time) and the fishing for walleye is great for big on in the fall!

Winter is typically when we have fished them. All my big eyes have been caught out there in the winter.

have fished Jennie about this time of year and hit some 5-8 lb eyes.... will probably try this next week while I am in the area....

Update: was out there last Thursday (8/30) was 3 hours of my life I will never get back.... a couple nibbles and lost bait with nothing to show....

• 4 months later...

I fished there early - before the snow, little over a monthy ago. Twice from the south and twice from the north. No fish (one nibble) and the water seemed not as clear as years past.

• 11 months later...

I fished JENNIE around thanksgiving for 3 1/2 consecutive mornings/evenings and didn't get a bite. I tried the north and south end - I switched lakes and went a few miles to the north / north west. (But now that has petered out as well)

water clarity was not so great.

Might give it another try this weekend. If you see a black/grey and white king crow out there thats me.

• 4 months later...

Anyone see the report on the news last night about the people out on Jennie. Glad to see everyone is ok?

Five anglers rescued from sinking boat near Hutchinson

A Dassel man is being hailed a hero after helping pull five young anglers from Lake Jennie near Hutchinson Saturday morning.

The men went out just after midnight to bet the first on the lake for the fishing opener. After a few hours of casting their lines they decided to head in, but the rain and the waves picked up.

"The motor almost made a weird noise and the whole front of the boat just sunk," said Ben Steinhofer who was on board.

They were about a half mile from shore when the boat started taking on water.

"It was down within two seconds. It was immediate," said angler James Peterson.

All five men ended up in the cold water with only two life jackets. Steinhofer saw one of his friends start to go under.

"All I saw was his lips go down and then his nose. and there was no head, just an arm," said Steinhofer.

Peterson said he thought they were going to die out on the lake, when another angler across the lake heard their faint cries for help.

"All we could hear was, God help us. Help us, we're over here," said Brant Duhn.

Duhn and his friend pulled the five men onto their boat. All five escaped without any serious injuries.

"I don't know that I'm a hero. I just think that we did what we needed to do to save them," said Duhn.

Four of us came back in from fishing somewhere around 2 a.m. on Friday night and could hear some yelling while we were on the dock getting our gear out, but with the wind you couldn't tell any of the words or even that it was a cry for help. My first thought was that someone caught a walleye or was partying somewhere. Fortunately Brant said he would go check it out and another guy in our group jumped in with him and they found the 5 guys and hauled them into Brant's boat. It was amazing that they were all still alive as most had on a lot of clothing and at least one had hip boots on. The boat (14 ft) was upside down and the front was just below the surface so a couple guys were trying to hang on to it, but the others were just floating. Only 2 lifejackets were in the boat. They estimated they were in the water for 20-25 minutes. We got them in the garage and turned on the heater. They were exhausted and shivering, but otherwise ok and thankful to be alive.

fyi - Brant Duhn is a part-time bartender at the Lamplighter in Hutchinson. He's also a self-employed handyman/contractor who lives on Lake Jennie (Brant Duhn Houseworks).

5 guys in a boat and two life jackets?

Only two words LUCKY and STUPID come to my mind. They are called life jackets for a reason to save your life if needed and are also required to have in your boat readily available. Brant 5 guys owe their lives to you and your friend for getting them out. Great to hear they are OK.

Four of us came back in from fishing somewhere around 2 a.m. on Friday night and could hear some yelling while we were on the dock getting our gear out, but with the wind you couldn't tell any of the words or even that it was a cry for help. My first thought was that someone caught a walleye or was partying somewhere. Fortunately Brant said he would go check it out and another guy in our group jumped in with him and they found the 5 guys and hauled them into Brant's boat. It was amazing that they were all still alive as most had on a lot of clothing and at least one had hip boots on. The boat (14 ft) was upside down and the front was just below the surface so a couple guys were trying to hang on to it, but the others were just floating. Only 2 lifejackets were in the boat. They estimated they were in the water for 20-25 minutes. We got them in the garage and turned on the heater. They were exhausted and shivering, but otherwise ok and thankful to be alive.

fyi - Brant Duhn is a part-time bartender at the Lamplighter in Hutchinson. He's also a self-employed handyman/contractor who lives on Lake Jennie (Brant Duhn Houseworks).

If you can put me on the spot where the boat was capsized, I will dive down and try to recover the stuff the fisherman had lost. I won't charge anything for doing it either. I would like to try and get the stuff back to the fisherman that had lost it.

Did the boat go down to the bottom? If it did, we could work on getting that out also.

Let me know if I can help..

That's a very nice offer. I do know they got the boat out, but I'm sure their rods/reels are still down there. My impression is that it would be very hard to find the spot, but maybe one of the guys will get word of your offer through this message board in case they are interested and I'll forward this link to Brant.

That's a very nice offer. I do know they got the boat out, but I'm sure their rods/reels are still down there. My impression is that it would be very hard to find the spot, but maybe one of the guys will get word of your offer through this message board in case they are interested and I'll forward this link to Brant.

If someone can get me on the approximate spot, we can start in the middle of that spot, and work our way out to try and recover the stuff. I have many tanks, and can dive on one tank for about an hour in 20 fow.

• 2 weeks later...

just thought i would let you all know that they moved the pier to the south landing were the little creek runs in i think that will be a good spot till it weeds up bad. but none the less i think its a good move i talked with the dnr they said they moved it because it was to far for people to walk and for handicap accesibility

yes its about 10 feet from it went there today getting so weeded up you can hardly fish it

Thanks for the update, very bad spot to put that pier in my eyes. Nothing can do about it but complain.