• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Cover Scent Waffers

iffwalleyes

I have been thinking of using some of these on my up coming elk hunt to MT. I am planning to use the cow elk urine but holy cow do those things stink. It almost concerns me that it might be too strong. It also makes me wonder why use a product like dead down wind and then pin these things to my clothes. Have any of use used these in any fashion. I usually throw the dirt or earth smell ones in with my cloths so they have a little cover on them. What do you think?

I think wearing them they are too strong. I sometimes put them in the container holding my clothes. But it seemed everytime i would wear one the deer get freaked out.

gl

I'd rely on some fresh cedar and/or other evergreen boughs to crush up and rub all over yourself. It's difficult on hunts with big terrain. You sweat, and that's just a reality. Some of the no-scent anti-persperents are good ideas, and I even know guys that sprinkle baking soda all over their armpits and lower extremities on a somewhat regular basis.

I wouldn't recommend cow elk urine or any sexual attractant as something you'd apply to your boots or clothing. Not unless you plan on always looking over your shoulder smile.gif

Joel

The thing I don't get with the putting baking soda on yourself or your clothes is that it is supposed to attract and hold the scent. Therefore, you're just transferring the scent to the baking soda. So I can see putting the baking soda in a container with your clothes or boots but not in or on the clothes themselves because it would defeat the purpose. Washing the clothes with baking soda would make sense because on the rinse cycle, the baking soda water would go away.

I hunted with the Fresh Earth Waffers last year, one in the bow case, one in my clothes tote, and one pinned to my hat. I think they were way too strong and greatly decrease my chances of seeing deer. I think I will still keep one in my bow case but that is it.

Dahitman will enjoy this, go to the store, get youself some cheap pantyhose, fill each with dirt, leaves and rotting wood chips from your hunting area, tie them off and keep in your hunting clothes containers and bow cases. Works for me.

I definately wouldn't put any type of sextual attractant directly on my clothing, not unless you want rutted up bull elk trying to have its way with you.

That would be like placing bacon strips on your pants and walking through the woods at night looking for bear.

I would stick with some dirt and pine needles or whatever grows in that area.

Quote:

I definately wouldn't put any type of sextual attractant directly on my clothing, not unless you want rutted up bull elk trying to have its way with you.

You know I was thinking the same thing. But if he got that close I don't think I could miss grin.gif He would be in bow range that is for sure. The minute after buying them I starting second guessing that decision. Like mentioned they are so strong. I can smell them out side of the package. I suppose I could open them up and let the aroma fill my garage. If I come home in Valley City ND and have an Elk standing outside my garage I would know they work grin.gif That is what lead to my question because I am going to the precaution of washing clothes with scent free products and then pin one of these one. I suppose I could rig them to the bottom of my boots or something like that.

Chuck --

Cool idea. I don;t know what the wife will say when I bring home pantyhose. wink.gif

Reminds me of the time when I went out and got some unscented tampons for scent wicks -- I know my wife thought I was nuts. She told all of her friends and they got a kick out of it.

Yeah, and she bought some for me for Christmas -- That was funny.

grin.gifgrin.gif

Dahitman. Tampons are the way to go for scent wicks. Cheap and you can make a trail of them and bury them in the dirt along trails so they hold the scent for a while. I've given up on the scents for this year, though. Just focusing on trail cam results/timing and where I think the deer could be. I have only been disappointed by scents and spent a lot of money ($20-$30 each of the past years) that could have went toward food plant seeds or minerals!

hitman, been there and done that. They really puff up when soaked in the scent. I stuck one in the mouth of the bottle and almost didnt get it back out.

Valley City. That brings back a few memories of dear old college days. I know there should be more memories but I took several trips to "Youkon Territory" while in college.

On to the wafers. I use them in an action packer to store my clothes. My brother can smell them from a long way off when I put one on my blind so I stopped taking them on the hunt. If a human can smell them you know a deer will smell it from a mile away. Doesanyone still keep the glands from last years deer to hang near their stands. I remmeber some old timers do this when I was young.

forget the wafers and i use the scent killer spray with the fall cover scent. it is an all in one and as far as i can tell the deer didn't spook from it.