• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Basswood Arrests?

Justin, I wasn't feeling mean or down or heavy or anything there, bubba, and I wasn't trying to get on your case. Just that blowing up their boat didn't sound cool to me.

That military channel CAN be addicting, can't it?

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Steve Foss

• Surface Tension

• gunflint

• threeball

grin.gif Yes, it sure can, dude!

Well, I go my new boat hooked up to the truck tonight, so everything is cool! Ready to fish as soon as I get a free moment. I haven't seen you around town this summer, so you must be pretty busy. Take it easy, man.

Justin

I hope you're going to pursue a fish species of worth with your new boat, not those slimy walleyes. grin.gif

That was a good point STFcat, I agree that the wilderness is never "safe". I should have chosen my words better wink.gif How does the word "heaven" sound to everyone for describing the BWCA?? There shouldn't be gun-slinging drunken a-holes in heaven, so I guess that would mean they don't belong in the BWCA either!! Nothing wrong with carrying a sidearm, but when you're intoxicated and threatening innocent people trying to enjoy themselves....that's a reason to lock someone up for a while.

This is the latest from the DNT...

The gunfire started around 8:30 that night, after sunset but before it got pitch dark. The explosions followed.

For the next three hours on Aug. 7, as night set in across the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness, at least a half-dozen rapid-fire volleys of gunshots echoed across Basswood Lake, punctuated by booming bangs of what Curt Yess said sounded like dynamite.

Yess, his adult daughter and her boyfriend had canoed to the Canada border lake to camp for several days. They paddled out the next morning, possibly never to return to the BWCAW again. Authorities are expected to charge up to six Ely-area residents in the case.“When we first heard the motor [from the shooting suspects’ boat] we figured someone was lost because they were clearly in the no-motor zone,” Yess said. “We were thinking of going down to offer them an extra map we had. … But it became pretty clear they weren’t lost. They knew right where they were going, right to where campsites were.”

Yess shared his experience in a telephone interview this week from his Waseca, Minn., home.

“The first three shots I heard sounded aimed … bang… bang… bang. Then it sounded like someone emptying aclip from a semi-automatic, like a 15-shot clip, as fast as they could pull the trigger,’’ said Yess, a veteran firearms safety instructor.

But that wasn’t all.

“We head a thud, then a big BOOM. It sounded like dynamite to me at first,’’ Yess said. “We heard that after each volley of shots.’’

He later concluded with other campers on the lake that the explosions were from a large-diameter fireworks mortar, like those used in commercial fireworks displays.

Yess said he suspected at least one and possibly two other guns were fired, based on the difference in sound from the shots.

“They moved around on the lake … We’d hear them emptying a clip. Then we’d hear the explosions again. We didn’t know what they were doing, what they were shooting at,’’ Yess said.

The suspects never came onto the island where Yess was camped, and the group had no communication with the men in the boat. But at one point the suspects’ silver boat came within about 100 yards of Yess’ campsite. Three men were clearly outlined in the boat.

“We heard shots again, and then we saw the muzzle flashes and we just hit the deck,’’ Yess said. “They were either shooting toward us or to the front. But we weren’t going to take a chance.’’

Yess’ group had hidden their rain tarp and canoe and moved their gear deep into the woods, where they hid much of the night. They exchanged flashlight signals with another group at a nearby campsite. Both groups signaled that they were OK, but no one felt safe enough to venture out.

“We were up pretty much all night,’’ he said.

The next morning Yess’ group went to Ely and met Lake County Sheriff’s Department and U.S. Forest Service officers, who said the men involved in the shooting had been apprehended. Only then did Yess find out that no one had been hurt.

As word spread that the men had been caught, cheers of relief let loose.

“We had two women coming out, when we told them they caught the guys, they said ‘Praise the lord!’ They were pretty upset about the whole thing,” Yess said. “I think a lot of people were affected by this. I’m sure everyone on the lake heard what was going on. It was a very calm night and you could hear everything on the water.’’

After talking to other campers while leaving the lake the next morning, Yess said he felt fortunate that the suspects didn’t come on land at his campsite.

“They did go into at least one campsite that we know of and physically confront people. They were saying things like ‘You don’t belong here’ and ‘No one will never know who did this,’ ’’ Yess said. “I guess they didn’t count on people having cell phones and calling it in.’’

Several campers used cell phones to call authorities who, plotting the route of the suspects’ return trip by where campers were calling from, waited at a boat landing on Fall Lake where six suspects were intercepted. Two men were arrested at the landing.

“It was my daughter’s boyfriend’s first trip to the Boundary Waters. Now he asks if our next trip is going to be to Iraq or Afghanistan,’’ Yess said. “It’s really something that sticks with you. You’re out in the wilderness on a beautiful, tranquil night expecting to hear the loons and then you have this happen.’’

About three weeks after the incident, criminal complaints have not yet been filed so no formal charges have been leveled against any of the six suspects. That also means few details of the investigation have been made public.

Here’s what authorities have confirmed so far:

Six suspects in two boats apparently involved in the incident were met at the Fall Lake boat landing early Aug. 8. Lake County sheriff’s deputies responded with armed law enforcement officers from the U.S. Forest Service and the Ely Police Department.

Two men were arrested but were released within 36 hours. Four other people, including a juvenile, also may be charged. All are Ely-area residents. Two firearms were taken as evidence.

One of the suspects arrested told the News Tribune on Monday that his attorney advised him not to comment on the case.

Lake County Sheriff Carey Johnson said this week that the suspects appeared to be under the influence of alcohol at the time. He said the threats made to campers appeared random and that there’s no reason to suspect any additional harassment of BWCAW campers.

Guns are allowed in the federally managed Superior National Forest and in the BWCAW. But state laws on hunting, terroristic threats and firearms discharge apply. The Forest Service also bans discharge of firearms and fireworks near campsites.

Gunplay is not a common problem in the 1.1 million-acre BWCAW. There was an incident of gunfire in the La Croix Ranger District in August 2005, when a suspect appeared to fire a gun at a camper, said Kris Reichenbach, spokeswoman for the Superior National Forest.

Reichenbach said there’s no need to restrict firearms or shooting in the BWCAW based on the Basswood Lake incident.

“We could implement additional restrictions ... and it might be justified if there was a widespread firearm problem on the forest. However, we have had very few incidents reported, and it makes sense to be consistent with the state’’ gun laws, she said.

The guy in this article talked about never going to the BWCA ever again- that's a bit extreme if you ask me. It's kinda like saying "after that airliner crashed in Brazil, I'm never flying again." These cases are so rare that I'll never stop going to the place that gives me peace- the BWCA.

Unbelievable!!!

This is the last thing you would expect on a vacation.But with today's society of not really giving a *** about other people. Not that hard to see it happen either. Be it remote camping around Ely, in the mountains out west, or even at a local campground at a park near you.

Hope some how that a felony conviction is handed down, and the one's with the guns, have no chance of carrying one again!

Farmer

These gunmen should be required to pay restitution to those victims. If I had one of my BWCA trips wrecked that I plan out for months in advance and then use valuable vacation time for, I would want some type of restitution.

GoggleEye.....You are right on. Are there any"Legal Eagles" on here that can comment on the restitution option?

I think there is one problem there. What kind of restition could cover that. $and cents cant see how. Not many options.

And in this day and age when restitution gets court ordered but very seldom paid out it wouldnt mean much. Ya they might get $5 a month for 3 years or something stupid like that. Im still waiting for restitution from a arson case against me 10 years ago. frown.gif

Ive never seen anyone riding around like what these dudes were doing, but I have heard alot of late night gun shots and have seen quite a few campsites lighting off fireworks while camping on Trout Lake. Cant really complain cause I enjoy fireworks and the gunshots actually scared the loons away and we could finally get some sleep without all the loons calling.

I know first hand what you mean NL. A couple of years ago I took a guy to court for a car accident. I got the judgement. On the way out of court some guy tells me you won the game, but I doubt if you are going to get the prize. He was right. You have to wonder why kind of system we have.

Yes, our court systems seem sometimes out of touch with the common mans thinking of what should be rightfully so. This incident that happened on Basswood in August is just plain ugly in what some peoples true nature comes out of them when alcohol is involved.

Those that pointed a gun at someone, pulled the trigger had intentions of hitting some target on those campsites. When you can see the fireing flash, tells me that it was pointed in the direction of another human being.

The ones that held the guns that night should never be allowed to hold a gun again PERIOD. Have them do community service with the Forest Service cleaning and doing any repairs on the campsites of Basswood Lake. Let them think about what they did that night, every time they go back in there to do their service (probation) work. That's after they sit in jail or prison for quite sometime!!

Farmer

I'm no lawyer, but have dealt with many legal issues through work and personal life.

As for restitution, anyone can file a civil lawsuit against anyone. That's part of the American justice system. It doesn't mean that they will get anything though. They could request restitution for the cost of their permits and travel costs. A judge would decide that. One could also seek damages for emotional distress or something like that, but again, it's up to a judge to determine if awarding those damages is warranted.

...and as for all of you owed money, go get it. I've been in those exact situations and there's one thing that I've learned. The justice system is overloaded and the only way to get what you are owed is to go make a stink and get it. My car got totaled in high school by some guy without a dime to his name or insurance. It took a year but I went to the state and got them to arbitrate a payment system for the guy to pay for my car damage. Sometimes a well written letter from an attorney can get you the money that you are owed. You have to go actively get it.

I think for a small fee, in most states, if you have a judgment against someone you can have their wages garnished......provided they are working somewhere that doesn't pay them in cash. Maybe someone smarter than me can verify that.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

I don't like commenting on this type stuff till all the facts come out. Jumping to conclusions then later finding out we're wrong is not cool. So I'm keeping that in mind.

Still waiting on the charges. I can understand why that would take a while when you have 6 accused the level of involvement could differ, wanting the charge to match the crime, no more, no less takes time. Plus theres the possibility that they crossed into Canada.

Depending on the out come, there very well could be some that won't be able to own or operate a firearm for the rest of their lives.

You can see muzzle flash from darn near a 300 degrees. Whether they were shooting toward the campers or not can't be proven but that wouldn't matter with a charge of "Terroristic Threat".

At any rate thats jumping to conclusions, we have to wait and see what happens.

The interviewed mentioned they never come back to the BWCAW. I've been on the Motor routes and deep inside the BWCAW countless times and never heard a gun shot or fireworks. I have found memories of every trip. Thats part of the reason I go back. To have something like this happen to you, I can see why a person wouldn't want to go back and rekindle the what happened.

Related to this or not. Alcohol and firearms should never be used together. Not only does alcohol increase the chance of an accident but your better judgment is impaired. You can't take back a bullet.

Earlier I had asked if somebody has ever heard of anything else like this? I have always brought a sidearm along with me when we go into the wilderness, in my childrens younger days I told them it was to keep them safe from any "wild animals" but this is the exact reason why not telling them that people were always my biggest fear. I have came across too many people that just scare me these days and I will do anything to keep myself and family safe.

As someone who grew up in Ely during the mid to late 70's, I dropped my share of water balloons from the top of Wilderness Outfitters on unsuspecting sandal-with-sock wearing swampies. There has always been a us vs them mentality at the end of the road, especially during those times. But it was always rather innocent.

This crossed way over the line. I don't need an official report to know in my heart exactly what was going on up there that night. It's a serious black eye to the great local people in Ely who I'm sure, along with the law, will deal with these yahoos.

Last week I put out a call to friends from Ely for a day permit to Basswood through Prairie. I knew if someone had an opening on theirs that someone would come through. They did, and allowed me to give my Brother-in-law from California the day trip and some memories of a lifetime. They also insisted that I not pay a penny toward the permit fee.

The people of Ely have opened it's arms to millions of tourists for the past 100 years. I hope this doesn't discourage anyone from experiencing, for the first time or the thousandth time, this beautiful part of the country.

Quote:

Earlier I had asked if somebody has ever heard of anything else like this? I have always brought a sidearm along with me when we go into the wilderness, in my childrens younger days I told them it was to keep them safe from any "wild animals" but this is the exact reason why not telling them that people were always my biggest fear. I have came across too many people that just scare me these days and I will do anything to keep myself and family safe.

I bring a shotgun with buckshot up in the Beedub, just for the fact that I have more room for error if Im shooting at something thats trying to eat me or rob me.

Well said, Jim. I have certainly experienced some of that us vs them stuff, but after more than four years here I can still count those instances on the fingers of one hand. I've had many, many more good experiences with native Elyites (yourself included, buddy grin.gif) than bad.

Glad also you were able to get your permit and your Basswood trip. grin.gif

Thanks Steve - We had a great day. All we caught were stinkin 2lb smallies, but my bro in law thought he had died and gone to heaven. Also experienced his first shore lunch. Granted it was grilled wild rice brats from Zups, not fresh Basswood walleye, but we had a blast. I still don't think he has figured out why we had to bring a couple MGDs in plastic bottles.

I find it pretty telling that you can't count on one hand the incidents you had as an outsider moving to town. Especially when you worked for Marshall grin.gif

I hardly ever read, much less subscribed to the TJ, till you came on board. You brought something to that paper they never had before. I tip my hat. Now the only reason to read it is to see which way Marshall is leaning that particular week and try to occasionally come up with a letter to refute him. smile.gif

Thanks, Jim. I'm hearing those same types of thoughts from quite a few people these days.

I think it perhaps started with the Basswood trip we FMers did now three or four summers ago. Do you remember that one? Camping at CCO and boating in over Prairie Portage? That trip alone gave me a fresh, on-the-spot insight into the motorized vs non-motorized issue, and I remember writing a column about it that had some people wondering if I wasn't really a closet Republican. As I recall, we even got a letter to the editor or two from the Friends of the Boundary Waters Wilderness decrying my position. They must have thought a well-known and friendly honeybee had suddenly turned into a wasp and stung them by surprise. ooo.gif I'm actually an indpendent, and swing whichever way on candidates and issues my conscience tells me is right.

And I'll remember as long as I live the look on Jeep LaTourell's face when I told him I was a newspaper reporter. He hauled A$$ the other way in his vehicle so fast I doubted whether I'd actually even seen him there. Not that I begrudged him anything. Couldn't blame him, in fact. grin.gif

It's been good, though, away from newspapers. I'm loving it.

Shoot me an e-mail when you get a chance. Chunky and I were out trolling Bside yesterday and reminiscing about that weekend a couple years back with you and the other Jims at Bob's cabin on Bside, and figured it would be really cool to get together with you again. We could even maybe rope Xplorer into the deal.

Anyway, sorry to get this off-topic, though there WAS a bit about Basswood in the post, and now, back to the gun deal. mad.gif

I remember the trip well. I saw and talked to Jeep this week. He was in a much better mood than when you last saw him grin.gif

Sorry if we highjacked the thread, but I will get a hold of you Steve.

Back to the gun toting fools on Basswood....................

I understand your guys' emotions about defending yourself against threats since I feel the same way but I have to ask: Have you taken a Carry Permit course?

I know you don't need a permit in the Bdub but my point is when the State allows you the priveledge of carrying on mainstreet, its only after they've made you think about the consequences of deadly force. If two people draw, chances are one could get killed and that one might be you or a person you're trying to defend.

You have a legal responsibility to use whatever means necessary to avoid that circumstance. That includes running and hiding if you can.

And propery? You won't have to worry about that anymore since it will all be sold to pay your lawyer and help support your family while you're in prison.

We're thinking about it, but all the John Wayne talk makes us look unstable too.

The right to keep and bear is a constitutional right not a privilege. Many states have adopted the "Castle Doctrine" or "Stand your Ground" laws making the responsibility of running and hiding unnecessary. Also running and hiding in the woods after dark would leave you in a very poor defensive position unless for some reason you have done some scouting.

You are absolutely right about the costs involved. Even in a defensive shooting you can figure a minimum $10,000 per round in legal fees. and that's not counting any civil suits.

As far as being unstable. I can't imagine a less stable position to be in than cowering behind some bushes begging some armed drunk who has been aggressive and confrontational to act rationally.

This is a very good question being brought up here on this forum. Not a fishing discussion, but all be it a outdoors involvement question.

What to do if a armed drunk is coming your way

1. He is allready drunk and intoxicated, do you try to reason with them? How many times have you tried to talk to a friend about any issue when they have been drinking? Your best off waiting, I found the next morning when they have sobered up to talk, sinks in more than the night they were drinking.

2.The guy is packing a gun.(In this case 2 of them) You look around and find your only weapon at hand is a castiron skillet,canoe paddle or a tree branch crazy.gif.

3.If you have your family with you, you now have the very most cherrished things in life involved to.You have now doubled, trippled, and etc. the risk factor.

I ask this to the ones that have stated they would stand their ground. I don't think any of us would know how to properly handle a situation like this till it's shoved face first down at you. And the one's involved probably hadn't either, especially on a vacation.

Farmer

There is no real good outcome to trying to confront a drunk wiht a weapon. You can't rationalize with them and even if you are armed, you shoot back you now have a real live gun fight on your hands and unless your first shot is a good one, he now knows where you are ( and this case so does his armed buddy) and instead of just trying to scare the crap out of you he/they are now going try to actually try to shoot you.

This ain't like a fist fight where a lucky punch lands you on you butt with bloody nose, a lucky shot and you are dead, done all over with. Nice ending to a family vacation for your family to see you killed by a drunk with an axe to grind.

Gunflint,

My gut puts me right there with you, but my head tells me we're better off in the long run avoiding a standoff until there's no other option.

And yes, to keep and bear is a right, but not in town. Thats why they teach us and make us think BEFORE crap like that goes down. And crap can happen anywhere, anytime.

Also, I would argue that being in the woods would be safer even if you weren't completely familiar with everything around the campsite. You would then have trees to cover your vital areas.

I dont' think anybody would accuse you of being a coward by doing whatever you could to put some distance between an agressor and yourself. Even if you really want to open up a can of whoop .... blush.gif

Until the agressor kills someone you could have stopped if you had acted.

"Better to be tried by 12 then carried by 6"

To many folks are afraid of the courts and are unwilling to believe there are those out there who would find in their favor. Fear of a lawsuit is another form of gun control. That is why the NRA's JLA group exists.

These Tactical scenarios can drive you crazy and although interesting are really just talk. First and foremost if your caught in this scenario with just a frying pan and a canoe paddle you have limited your options from the start and are at the mercy of pretty much everyone and everything. It's not right or wrong it's just a fact.

I don't think anyone is saying that making a stand on the shoreline is a good idea but then again running helter skelter in the woods after dark is also very dangerous.

I think that we are way off topic here so I'm going to bail but it's important to remember that some citizens are well trained in defense. Much more so than punching holes in paper targets.