• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

South Dakota Pheasants

Guest Kyle

For the last four years I have been saying "I want to go to SD for some pheasants", but the season comes and goes so quickly it leaves me right here in central MN where Ive been the whole time! Well this year its gonna happen! So, if anyone can tell me where I need to go to get some famous South Dakota pheasants that ive heard so much about, or any information on how they are hunted out there, please let me know. Im not into paying guides to show me a good place, Id rather do it myself, but since I have no experience, a little advice would be great.

Thanks

wait till late season. you'll be away from all the crowds that way. get on the game fish and parks website and get a map that details public areas and walk-in areas. theres tons of info available on the internet about south dakota pheasant hunting.

Look into N.Dakota also. I have hunted both North and South Dakota, and for the average hunter North Dakota has a more to offer. In rural areas almost every farmer lets you hunt his land for free and there are also lots of public areas. There are a lot of birds in North Dakota also. South Dakota from what I exprienced seems real commercial now, more pay to hunt attitude.

Sounds like you're looking for the trip of a lifetime and then you automatically rule out guides. Not saying that you need one but the experience may outweigh the price. Don't overlook ditches. SoDak reg. book clearly spells out the rules so you can road ditch hunt legally and not road hunt.

I would second No. Dak. I have never run into an unfriendly farmer in North Dakota as opposed to Minny. I have relatives in western North Dakota where I hunt. Also, if the land is not posted you can hunt it without asking, it still a good idea to ask. After the first week there is almost nobody hunting and usually you will have everything to yourself. Theres some nice ditch hunting if your by yourself or with a dog.

Bryce, that statement sounded like it came from a guide that hasnt had good business lately. No, im not looking for the hunt of a lifetime. If I were to go on a hunt of a lifetime, I wouldnt choose a creature of habit to hunt, like pheasants. But pheasants are still fun, so Im going to SD.

Fishroger,

What is the limit in North Dakota? I thought it was two. I know its only one less that SD, but then I could just hunt MN. Moreover, I guess Im just looking to see more birds than I would in MN. Let me know a little more about ND though.

Thanks

H4L,

As with all hunting, time to start doing your homework. If you don't have any connections out there already, then you should invest at least one full weekend BEFORE season to travel an area you're interested in.

Not to say you can't find something during your hunting time, but you will eat up ALOT of it looking around and asking for permission.

If you are solo or part of a small group, look for land with isolated pockets of cover. Water holes, drainage beds, sloughs, etc. Don't even try the big fields without at least 6 guys. Those birds will have you spinning in circles. Once you start flushing a big flock, they don't stop until all 200 are out of your range!

The small cover can cough up 50 birds which should keep you busy enough. They aren't stupid out there. Close their escape routes!

3 bird limit each state. License is good for 2/5day hunts. Select the last 5 days of the season for your second hunt when you buy so if you go back a second time you can change your date.

Don't balk if a landowner wants to charge $40/gun/day. They normally have good numbers of birds. To find good property you can stay on all day, its worth it.

Good luck!

The homework thing is a good idea. In north Dakota farmers can enroll in the PLOTS program, all that land is open to hunting, they have maps of PLOTS land you can purchase, check the no. dak. hunting regs online, there should be something. Also there is quite alot of state and federal land worth looking into. It doesnt hurt to know someone out there, however if you want to cruise around and talk to farmers most are very friendly. Im still going to So. Dak. too, have friend who works for NRCS, and knows some good huntin areas. Good luck

No guiding in my past or future. Enjoy my role as a conspicuous consumer. grin.gif Mostly don't use a guide myself and have generally had good trips. None of the slower trips have been when using a guide however. Take that for what it's worth. I've been on pay to play places where a 6 man group was done in less than a half hour. Trip of a life time? Depends on one's perspective. Definitely get out and meet the locals. They sincerely appreciate the $ we introduce into their economy.