• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

1st time on 8th crow wing 8/25 need help!!!

This is my 1st time on 8th crow wing and heading up 8/25,going for walleye and bass primarily.Please help make this a memorable expierence.Thx to all in advance who respond.

Seahag-

It's a very good lake for bass and walleye and you'll be hitting it just right to have an awesome bass bite. You can get some nice largemouth in sloppy areas, but you'll catch way more out on the deeper weedlines. Crankbaits work really well this time of year, as do soft plastics. The mid-lake hump will put out a bunch of nice fish for you, just make sure you stay on the edge as you won't catch as many on top. If you want to chat more about it, give me a call when you get in to town, my name's in the book or grab a card from any of the baitshops.

Where are you staying out there?

Thx Jason,This info will be very helpful,this is more of a family gathering and the fishing is not the main focus,but did want to maximize my time and effort on the water.I appreciate the info.I am staying at the In-We-Go resort arriving 8/25.Maybe I'll look ya up if I can swing it!Thx again!

Hey HM1,We are also staying at the in we go resort checking in 8/25,we will be in cabin 2.It would be great if you can do some recon for us and maybe leave your findings at the lodge?How long are you up there for?

You two will both love it there. The owners, Ed and Sara Becker and their daughter and son are all exceptional people. They will undoubtedly ensure you have a great stay at their resort.

FYI-there are some big pike out there too, but there's an experimental reg. on the lake allowing you to only keep one northern and it must be over 40". Ask the owners or any long time guests about the huge pike that swim up to the boat or stick their nose out of the water and snake along the surface. It's pretty amazing to experience if you're in the right place at the right time.

i will leave a note at the front desk on how we did and where to go. we are in cabin 3. this our third year in a row to in we go. back in the late 70's and early 80's we went to in we go 7 years in a row when the myers owned it. before that we went to upper red lake 7 years in a row. anyway last year if you look out from the shore we had good luck for blue gills and bass on the reeds to your left. my wife caught a blue gill by those reeds and before she got it to the boat a pike took it for a ride had alittle battle then broke the line. ha ha ha . she was all excited. looking out from the shore to your right at the lily pads we caught 10 bass all in one morning we had a blast. my mom caught a 2 1/2 pound walleye on the island. but that was last year. i will leave a note at the desk for this year. is this your first year up there.

Hi HM1,yes this is our 1st time on 8th crow.I appreciate the info you can leave at the front desk.What do you know about the other chains 6,7,,9,10? Are they navigable from 8th or even worth checking out?

I'm usually on 11th, but have gone to 8th a couple of times. I'm guessing 9th and 10th are better pike lakes (like 8th, these have special 1 fish, 40" minimum reg). No access to 6th or 7th from 8th. There is a navigable access into 9th and 10th. The crow wing chain is grouped like this for navigating between lakes:

4th, 3rd, 2nd, and 1st (long drive to 1st though)

7th, 6th, and 5th

10th, 9th, and 8th

11th

• 3 weeks later...

Hey HM1,Thanks for the left over bait,it came in handy,we only had rain 1 day,the owners, resort and cabin were great.The fishing was a bit tough but we did manage to pull in some nice bass,largest being 18" with 1 pike going 27" We are strongly considering going up there next year.Thought you would like to know.Thx for everything

seahag

your welcome. sorry i didnt get the note ready for you but when we were packing to come home the battery went out of our jeep librety so i was to busy getting a new one and getting it in. i told ed to tell you were we had the best luck. i hope he let you know. we are going up the same time next year but we will have an exrta person with us next year my wife is expecting in feb. our best day was when my wife and i went out in the morning we caught 8 bass in about a 40 yard stretch biggest being 15 1/2.