• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

good gun for the wife?

cw642

I'm looking for some advice on what would be a good small frame hand gun for a lady. Not so much for hunting, but more for personal use. She is rather upset at the recent activities in our area and feels she should start packing, and I have to say I agree. I stopped and looked at a few today but really dont anything about handguns. Anyone have any suggestions?

CW

Saturday night special! shocked.gif My wife shoots my 9mm with ease. Could always just go with the good old 22

Send her to school before you even think about buying her a hand gun. Won't even get into how many people are injured with their own weapons, male and females.

We are both going to take a class. From what I understand most require you to bring your own firearm. Like I said the handgun thing is rather new to me, but for her safety and my families we see no other choice. This is not our first choice but lack of police funding and poor drug laws has made this our only fesible option. Trust me this has been debated in our household for some time and until the resent murders and robberies we never really thought it necessary. Whether she chooses to carry it at the end of training is her choice, but I want her to have the option.

CW

my wife shoots two different pistols, the first is a H&K USP 40 that she carrys during her civilian job, but also carrys a small hammerless snubby in a 38.

I would throw in for a little 38. Can it get more simple than that? Shells shouldn't cost you much either.

Have to ditto the .38 but you could also go with a small frame .357 and run the .38 loads thru it. Check out the Ruger SP 101, or the S&W line up.

I tend to recommend to filks to stay away from autos for first time handgun owners until they are used to and comfortable with handguns in general. If this is a home defense or personal carry you could also look at the crimson trace grips to aid in shot placement.

Only use factory loaded ammunition as handloads get a different response if used in an incident.

Good luck

A guy I work with took the class at Bill's here in the cities and he was able to rent a hand gun to use for that portion of the class.

The Lady Smith (based on the model 60 if I remember correctly) is a nice 38 for a smaller woman. Rossi used to be priced significantly lower than S&W and Colt but I don't think that is the case, or at least as significant anymore. The Colt detective specials sure point nice IMO. I also would suggest wheel guns over autos for the less experienced shooter.

If she has to "pack" then a handgun is needed, if it's for home protection get a cheap 12 gauge and saw off stock and barrel to legal limits (I believe 18" barrel and 26" total, but I might be wrong), that is THE BEST stopping weapon you can have.

I have one with a standard game load as 1st shell then 00 or coyote load after that, the best thing you don't have to aim, just point the right direction, and this will stop anybody before they reach you.

I am against .22 for personal defense, you have to be an expert shooter to reach crucial body parts to stop an aggressor.

Also be sure your wife is trained to shoot the weapon for what she intend to do.

Shooting a person it's not as easy as thought, even if it's an aggressor, you have to be trained to do this.

Quote:

I have one with a standard game load as 1st shell then 00 or coyote load after that, the best thing you don't have to aim, just point the right direction, and this will stop anybody before they reach you.

Wow valv, I hope I never run out of gas and have to walk to your house after dark smirk.gif

Valv is right, a sawed off shotgun is the best home defense, and a good vocal dog to give you warning. A .22 is a good gun to target practice with, but without a good shot with it, its not going to protect you much.

Valv, why a standard for the first shot? With all the Meth heads out there I don't think I'd screw around with bird shot. 00,00,slug,slug,slug.

I'll break it down, and then you guys can decide if she needs a gun. A friend of my wives,her son was abducted. On our first anniversary the wife was going outside to smoke and caught someone standing 15' from our front door(he ran). A murder happened 15 miles from her work. Lots of burglaries in our area. She works nights in a silly little town that doesn't have a full time cop. Last Wednesday night someone stole a bunch of stuff from our shed. Within 1/2 mile a meth lab was busted and the genius who ran it is back out on the street. Needless to say most guys would arm themselves with all this stuff.

She needs a gun and we have pretty much decided on a hammer-less snubnose 38 special for the simple ease of use, and the point blank stopping power. We just have to see if our wonderful County Sheriff will give someone who has never been arrested a permit.

CW

Do your homework, try out a lot of guns. A shotgun, even sawed off, is only going to have a pattern of about 12 inches or less in the ranges used in self/home defense. Buy what you are comfortable with and practice practice practice.

Quote:

Valv, why a standard for the first shot? With all the Meth heads out there I don't think I'd screw around with bird shot. 00,00,slug,slug,slug.

That's your warning shot, if needed you can discharge it in a hurry and go to round 2.

I like 00 better than slug, you have a larger pattern and don't need to aim well.

Maybe a double barrel shotgun would be a good choice. Plenty of pattern there but only two shots. You could load one with large shot and another with a slug.