• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Summer pike in the metro area...

Anyone know of a good lake to get into some pike in August around the metro area? I do alright on the bass, but the pike have been eluding me now. Still, I hear of people still running into pike all the time during this season on this forum. Seems like alot of lakes are loosing their water clarity this time of year (algae and the like), not to mention the very warm water this summer. If I ran into a good number of fish in the 16-24" range, I would be happy. I release everything, so my intention is just the sport of it. I have a boat and would also prefer something on the south or west side of the metro area, but I guess everything is possible. If anyone feels like they should contact me offline, I can be reached at: [email protected]

-Gregg B.

I wont say lake names but I will say pike are a cool water fish they dont thrive well in warm water. In summer big pike like to move off shore to deeper water so you probably will only get the dinks in the shallows. When you do run into a biggun try to land them quick and get them back in quick with water temps as high as they are now the fish get stressed out easily.

If you don't mind the $5 fee then minnewashta is loaded with pike in that size range.

Is the water clarity in Minnewashta still good this time of year? I heard about this Lake and I thought I might try it sometime.

-Gregg B.

Minnewashta is fairly green this year. Usually the clarity is quite a bit better. My only guess is that it's turning green b/c of the warm weather.

Great lake for small pike. Set up in 8-12'and cast away over the weeds. I like spinnerbaits personally b/c they hit the bait hard and it's nice to have to remove only one hook.

You'll get hit for sure and probably pick up a few bass as well.

They come right in that 16-24" range and frankly the pike herd needs to be thinned out so keep a few! grin.gif

An infusion of perch is what's needed to get them bigger.

DB

Try any of the springs or cooler streams that dump into the St. Croix River north of Stillwater.

• 2 weeks later...

Baled Eagle has been producing pike for me this summer. I've been catching them on spinnerbaits and topwaters.

I would second Lake Minnewashta. That is just loaded with 16-22" pike, i have had many 20 fish nights out there. Just troll the 12-15 foot depths with some kind of crankbait. Along the park beach to the water ski buoys works well. Shouldn't be a problem catching a bunch. Good Luck!!

JS

going out Saturday to see what's biting. Hopefully should be fun!

Has anyone fished Minnewashta or Virginia in Carver county? I know they used to have tons of small northerns, but I have not been to either lake in several years.

Fished on Minnewashta from the pier yesterday, first time i have fished there without a boat. Only had one hit on a spinnerbait. Threw everything i had in the tackle box and couldn't get anything going.

Finally found a few pike on Prior, have never found any in the summer, but last sat. night 34 in ,and 2 at 25-28 in

Cripes - plenty of lakes with pike. Medicine is loaded, Tonka of course, Lake Sara too, but not many parking spots so go EARLY.

Heck on Tues going for bass on Tonka we caught 4 pike using bass jig in the milfoil around 4-6' of the greener weeds. Also on the lily pad edges caught one (bout 4lbs or so) and lost one on the next cast as it ripped the jig skirt off. Dang pike mad.gif

I can tell you that Virginia was terrible yesterday. The water is quite dirty, maybe 1' visibility. The carp rolling around all of the shallows probably doesn't help that situation either.

-Gregg B.

Try Mt. Normandale in Bloomington. Pike average 4-7 lbs and my biggest this year were 34" and 31". Caught a 40"er there years ago. Good Luck.

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• mulefarm
      With the early ice out, how is the curlyleaf pondweed doing?
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   The big basin, otherwise known as Big Traverse Bay, is ice free.  Zippel Bay and Four Mile Bay are ice free as well.  Everything is shaping up nicely for the MN Fishing Opener on May 11th. With the walleye / sauger season currently closed, most anglers are targeting sturgeon and pike.  Some sturgeon anglers are fishing at the mouth of the Rainy River, but most sturgeon are targeted in Four Mile Bay or the Rainy River.  Hence, pike are the targeted species on the south shore and various bays currently.   Pike fishing this time of year is a unique opportunity, as LOW is border water with Canada, the pike season is open year round. The limit is 3 pike per day with one being able to be more than 40 inches. All fish 30 - 40 inches must be released. Back bays hold pike as they go through the various stages of the spawn.  Deadbait under a bobber, spinners, spoons and shallow diving crankbaits are all viable options.   Four Mile Bay, Bostic Bay and Zippel Bay are all small water and boats of various sizes work well. On the Rainy River...  Great news this week as we learned sturgeon will not be placed on the endangered species list by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.     The organization had to make a decision by June 30 and listing sturgeon could have ended sturgeon fishing.  Thankfully, after looking at the many success stories across the nation, including LOW and the Rainy River, sturgeon fishing and successful sturgeon management continues.   A good week sturgeon fishing on the Rainy River.  Speaking to some sturgeon aficionados, fishing will actually get even better as water temps rise.     Four Mile Bay at the mouth of the Rainy River near the Wheeler's Point Boat Ramp is still producing good numbers of fish, as are various holes along the 42 miles of navigable Rainy River from the mouth to Birchdale.   The sturgeon season continues through May 15th and resumes again July 1st.   Oct 1 - April 23, Catch and Release April 24 - May 7, Harvest Season May 8 - May 15, Catch and Release May 16 - June 30, Sturgeon Fishing Closed July 1 - Sep 30, Harvest Season If you fish during the sturgeon harvest season and you want to keep a sturgeon, you must purchase a sturgeon tag for $5 prior to fishing.    One sturgeon per calendar year (45 - 50" inclusive, or over 75"). Most sturgeon anglers are either a glob of crawlers or a combo of crawlers and frozen emerald shiners on a sturgeon rig, which is an 18" leader with a 4/0 circle hook combined with a no roll sinker.  Local bait shops have all of the gear and bait. Up at the NW Angle...  A few spots with rotten ice, but as a rule, most of the Angle is showing off open water.  In these parts, most are looking ahead to the MN Fishing Opener.  Based on late ice fishing success, it should be a good one.  
    • leech~~
      Nice fish. I moved to the Sartell area last summer and just thought it was windy like this everyday up here? 🤭
    • Rick G
      Crazy windy again today.... This is has been the norm this spring. Between the wind and the cold fronts, fishing has been more challenging for me than most years.  Panfish have been moving in and out of the shallows quite a bit. One day they are up in the slop, the next they are out relating to cabbage or the newly sprouting lilly pads.  Today eye guy and I found them in 4-5 ft of water, hanging close to any tree branches that happened to be laying in the water.  Bigger fish were liking a 1/32 head and a Bobby Garland baby shad.   Highlight of the day way this healthy 15incher
    • monstermoose78
    • monstermoose78
      As I typed that here came a hen.  IMG_7032.mov   IMG_7032.mov
    • monstermoose78
      So far this morning nothing but non turkeys. 
    • monstermoose78
      Well yesterday I got a little excited and let a turkey get to close and I hit the blind!!
    • smurfy
      good......you?? living the dream..in my basement playing internet thug right now!!!!!! 🤣 working on getting the boat ready.......bought a new cheatmaster locator for the boat so working on that.   waiting for warmer weather to start my garden!!!
    • monstermoose78
      How is everyone doing? Holy moly it’s chilly this morning I stayed in bed and will hunt later today when it warms up.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.