• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Green Lake...something different, NOT walleyes or smallies

How about the big pike out there??? Anyone getting after those??? I don't see many boats that appear to be targeting them over the 5 years that I've lived on it, but know there are some big pigs in there. My best in 5 years has been 38", but would LOVE to finally crack 40"... Anyone else out there ever looking / chasing the slimers? Would love to hear some new ideas and/or success stories (incidental or intentional), I usually end up trolling 9" muskie lures amongst the veggies and/or 'shallow' (shallow for Green at least) breaks...

I fish them on occasion,Fall time,Eastern 1/3 of lake I soak a LARGE sucker on humps 30-40 ft deep surrounded by 50-60ft. 2' off top of hump.I've caught numerous LAGRE pike this way 28 lbs. is largest not on Green 22 on green,I'like to bake 1 fish each fall around 12-15 lbs.Green is my place to get it. cool.gifDo you ever in spring go to Calhoun,and watch the nothern run? I've seen them well over 20 guess 25-28lbs.

I fish them on the ice quite a bit using Airplane Jigs and Tubes. Havent hooked a 40 yet but hopefully this winter.

When your speed trolling how fast are you going 3mph 4mph?? Ive never speed trolled before. And I would love to catch a couple big pike they look good in pictures.

Holy Heck thats wide open with my 7.5!! smile.gifIf ya see me commin dont worry I will slow down! cool.gif

I did turn one 'decent' pike out there pulling a DT-16 series Rapala in about 20' of water near town last year (36")... Any other ideas? I did have one (maybe 30"?) follow up to the boat last night as I cranked in a plastic fishing the smallies around a milfoil patch, wondering what might be a good lure to troll around to try to turn one tonight...

6" Bagley bang-o lure in 12-15' water. 8" bagley bang-o lure in 18-24' water. I've caught 12" walleye on 8" bagley at 4.0 mph. You need to go big with the size of fish your after.

Just checked those out online, hadn't heard of them prior! Thanks eyewarrior, ordered a couple, will have to give 'em a pull and see what happens! Always willing to spend a few bucks to try something that "just might work"!

Also, it's a nice change on here to be talking about something other than 'the usual' smallies or walleyes debate. In my opinion, there's a heck of an underutilized trophy pike fishery sitting in our backyards.

Your right about under fished pike!If people watched the spring run they'd be amazed at how many quality notherns run up the crow!! smile.gif

I'll be fishing Green for the first time this monday/tuesday. Staying at a friends cabin. After reading these posts I'll make sure I bring along the big stuff and speed troll for some of those huge gaters! CPR only. Will bucktails across the veggies work? I have had pretty good luck on Tonka doing this in the deep veggies foe muskies and some norts too.

Bucktails & spinner baits in the millfoil should produce some nice gators for you

I have caught several nice northerns over the last few years, several of them when fishing for walleyes or smallies on rigs, on crawlers or more often sucker minnows. One was 38" and the biggest my daughter caught on a crawler and #6 hook. That one went 43". We have caught the slimers in both weeds and rocks. I often wonder why I don't chase them more often on purpose.

You guys watching the Pike run on the river near calhoun are seeing fish from a lake somewhere down stream. The crow river exits on the east side of green and fish only swim up stream to spawn so they dont really have anywhere to go in green.

I dont think there are a lot of pike in the lake but there is a healthy population.

My biggest to date is a 40" caught walleye fishing. Actually it was probably hooked up about 10' below the surface since I was reeling in when it hit.

If you really are local you'd know there are no lakes down stream.look at google earth,and I dont believe they all stop in green there's plenty of Crow river beyond Green.

Quote:

If you really are local you'd know there are no lakes down stream.look at google earth,and I dont believe they all stop in green there's plenty of Crow river beyond Green.

Lets see...no lakes downstream from Green...hmmmmm. CALHOULN maybe? Also, there are a LOT of big pike in the river itself down stream from Calhouln itself, but they cant make it over the dams in the park.

Speaking of dams, the pike from Green itself cannot make it past Green either because of the dam at the Old Mill, so Green is pretty much the stopping point for any pike traveling from Calhouln. Not sure where the pike in Green spawn since there is really no place for them to do so and I doubt they run downstream into the Calhouln sloughs. They used to run through a culvert just to the North of Salisbury Beach and run up to the slough on the other side of 71, but I dont think they can anymore since they changed all that 10-15 years ago.

well don't forget the creek that runs into Green on the south side. It runs behind Spicer's DNR office

setty mn

the DNR uses that slough quite a bit to get fish out of in late winter.

At times promiscuous has been handled on county road 8.

DNR electro fishing shows less than one pike per net,Green Lake.all time low.

Lakes like big kandi show 12 per net this year.

Good call on the Northerns,and where they go

Yeah I know that... just saying fish spend all their energy before they spawn to travel upstream so after they lay their eggs they dont have to die trying to make it "back home."

So you tell me where those fish are coming from at the calhoun dam. Im not a fisheries biologist so I dont know, but my buddie is so mabye I'll just ask him.

sparcebag?

Where do you see the Northerns running in the spring in Calhoun? I'd like to get a look at that this spring...

Ya know where the boat landing is on Calhoun? Its the only bridge/dam you go over to get there.We go up 2-3 times a week starting in late Feb.early March till the run starts then most every day.Also on Diamond the outlet gets lots of notherns that ones fun the dam is bout 6 ft high and watchin them fight up the overflow is something to watch,that one is private tho,so ya need permission.But you also see two to three times as many,I think cause they group up gettin enough energy to make that run over the dam.