• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
Bobb-o

full choke?

Bobb-o

anyone use a full choke for waterfowl? been thinking of getting one as it seems like you would have less injured birds and it would be better at putting them down?

Rainman

Actually you get a worse pattern if you restrict steel shot to much I believe. I shoot a modified choke and have had great results with it.

dolsmi

I use a Pattern Master on my Benelli Super Black Eagle and love it. I never take it off to put a different choke on.

cat-man

I have a patternmaster on my SBE also and it has not been out of the barrel since i bought it last fall. Patterns great with every load i've tried but mainly shoot winchester supreme BB. best choke money can buy because it works by having five wad slowing studs inside rather than using constriction like most others that i have used.

big drift

A full choke under some applications can work very well when you use it for an intended purpose. An example I have a fullchoked Beretta AL-2 in a 30" barrel that will be eventually turned over for a modification to run multiple chokes out of. But until then I have test fired it and have a great patterning gun roughly 90% pattern when using 3" 11/4 oz. Steel 3's out to 40 yards the same load in BB only allows 3-4 pellets to strike the target. Now this barrel will be used on divers and geese other then that. As later in the season I switch to a more open choke that allows me to use heavier shot for geese.

Early season geese do not require as heavy of loads as later season birds.

Pattern your gun or switch to a modified choke for a more open spread or one that allows you to use the larger shot.

Another good choke for steel is Improved cylinder but I felt this is to much pattern unless hunting cover like flooded timber or close shots.

Take it to the range try it out and let us know how it goes.

bd

WaveWacker

If memory serves me right, on the side of my "full choke" tube for my SBE it states "No Steel Shot".

Nova

Most factory full chokes are not to be used with steel shot. It usually says right on them "NO STEEL". On the other hand I also have an after market choke that is made for steel and is a "full steel choke". It works great for me.

big drift

Also the age of a fixed choke barrell should be looked into prior to use some barrells are not designed for steel shot in any fashion.

Sartell Angler

have only used the modified choke my 870 came with....nothing but phenomenal results!

Fish&Fowl

I would agree that Mod. or Imp. Mod. are about the best all-around chokes for everyday hunts, especially over decoys. If you're on target and your gun patterns well with the loads you're using, 40-45 yd. shots will kill birds.

If you are pass shooting or hunting very weary birds, a full choke can be nice. As mentioned, just make sure it's okay to use steel with it. I like to bring a couple different chokes along so I can adjust as needed if birds start acting differently. I also do this pheasant hunting and it really helps changing chokes when birds get skiddish.

Mossy19

I use a Patternmaster in my Mossberg 835, it is great for long range, but be careful if you get ducks in the decoys, because if you get all of the pattern on that duck, you will blow it away. (I did that on a teal last year and it wasn't pretty. So I promised myself I would never do it again)