• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Does anyone have some recommendations for Devil Track Lake near Grand Marais. I've caught plenty of smallmouth there, but walleyes seem to be few and far between. Thanks.

Look to the points that drop into deeper water, work a slip rig with a leech through the deeper areas during the day and cas slip bobbers up into the boulders on the points in the evening. Don't be afraid to look at the 5-7' range when slip bobbering in the evenings. JB will have some info on this for sure. Oh, don't overlook any areas that might have a bit of current running through them, like between islands ect. but watch out for rocks!

Tunrevir~

The islands along the south shore are definitely a good bet, along the outside edges with a lindy rig and leech. I've always done best with leeches, however you'll have to sort through alot of smallies also. The north shore has faster dropping shorelines, I've done better trolling perch colored or chartreuse crankbaits along there. It's always been a numbers game on devil track for me, lot's of 12 to 15 inchers...I honestly don't think I've ever caught a walleye over 22 inches on this lake. Drifting a jig and leech around the islands or along the sharp dropoffs is an easy option also, and a good way to pickup a few jumbo perch. Good luck, hopefully you'll get a few.

Just heard about Devil Track Lake for the first time on this post. I have been looking for a new lake to go to and would appreciate any general information about Devil Track Lake. I am thinking about going there instead of Rainy Lake next June. Information such as the size of the lake, predominate species, places to stay, etc. would be helpful. My interest is primarilly smallmouth. I generally get to go north the second or third week of June. Any information is appreciated.

Well you definitely can't go wrong with devil track in june. The lake is about 1750 acres. 5 or so miles long...pretty easy to put a good sized boat on. There is a real nice campground towards the west end of the lake. The bass will be jumping in your boat that time of year. Plenty of good eater size fish if your looking to fry a few at the campfire. On calm evenings it's a good lake to fly fish for whitefish too if that's your thing. Lot's of small walleyes and a good number of nice sized pike. Leeches have always been the best for me. Also for some reason if the fising on devil track is slow, two island lake is just up the road and it offers the same fishing there. Two island also has a very nice campground. If your looking to stay at a resort then there's the devil track lodge at the east end of the lake. And your only a couple minutes away from grand marais. But come june make sure you have lot's of white or chartreuse power grubs, silver mepps spinners and various color shallow running cranks, that's gonna catch you all sorts of bass, walleye, and pike.

JB Thanks for the information. 1750 acres seems a little small for a lake that is 5-miles long. It must be very narrow. I have requested information from the resort on the lake. I bring my own boat, a little 14-foot Lund with a 25-hp motor, so the size of the lake is perfect. I hope to get up there either the second or third week of June. I would prefer the second week, becaused I think it will be the better week for smallmouth. I release everything except for a few small eater-sized walleye. I have never had much success finding smallmouth later in the summer on large lakes. I have however fished a small lake in Michigan mid-July and had a great time with smallies adjacent to the weed line. Thanks again for the information.

I fish up that way a few times a year. In my opinion, if your after smallmouth dont pass on 2 island lake. Because of the requirement to release all over 12 inches you can really have some fun with the smallies.14-18 inch fish are common.

Panhead - thanks for the recommendation about Two Island Lake. Can you tell me a little bit about the lake? How big it is, how deep, public boat ramp, places to stay, etc. I do not know anything about Two Island Lake except that it appears to be north of Devil Track Lake.

Mn. Dnr website will give all the info on 2 island or any other in Mn.Even allows you to download maps. Other than camping their is no place to stay on 2 island.Smallmouths seem to be becoming more and more numerous in the lakes around the gunflint trail area . Not good for me and many others who prefer walleye.

That slot regulation on two island has done wonders for the bass. 10 years ago you'd be lucky to catch a dozen bass a day, now on a good day you can catch over 100! And the average size has increased also.

As far as info on the lake, yeah, the campground is very nice, numerous good lakeside sites. Lake is LOADED with structure...lot's of boulders, sunken islands, rock bars, points, islands, bays, cabbage beds, etc...watch the lower unit, numerous boulders and dead heads just below the surface.