• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Charter Boat Recommendations?

A few friends and I are thinking about chartering a boat in mid-August, during the middle on the week. We may have a few younguns (10-14) along with us. Ideally we'd like to catch a mixed bag of kings and lakers. Is this a good time to hit the Big Pond? Any recommendations? We will probably have 2 kids and 3 adults along....prices??

I've had great luck with Happy Hooker Charters - Capt. Peter Dahl (218) 940-9400. Nice guy, nice boat and we caught a lot of fish!

Every year we have less and less guys Chartering on Lake Superior. The ones who have stood the test of time and are still around are all good. Pete is a sponsor here on FM so I would call him 1st and if he is ful Im sure he will hook ya up with another qualified Charter Captain.

I dont necessarily want to steer you another direction, but we went through RV charters out of Algoma Wisconsin and had an excellent trip. The motel is very nice as well.

The time of year will definitely dictate your catch. We went the last week of June as we were more likely to catch all of the species of fish. Coho's, steelhead, lakers, and kings. As you get later in the season, you will catch less of the coho's and steelhead, as I understand it.

The captain explained to me that the kings live 4 years. In July and August they'll put on a pound a week!!!

We caught a couple kings that were 22-23lbs, we assumed those were 4 year olds, we caught a couple others in the 17 lb range and assumed those were in the 3rd year. We also caught a several lakers in the 10 lb range. If we had gone in late August, those kings might have been 30lber's.

I was a little disappointed in the fight. They put out like 13 lines, and must keep the boat moving forward to avoid tangling the lines. I assume if we were in our own boat and shut her down each time, the fish would have a better opportunity to play. When you're fishing with telephone poles and piano wire, the fish doesn't have much of a chance. It was more like pulling in a log, until they get up near the boat. But still an excellent experience overall.

Their packages were around $200, but you can search lake michigan, algoma, and rv charters, on line and you'll get all the information you want. We went with 2 six hour charters, but I think, one 8 would've been fine. #800-487-0022. Bring lots of coolers to bring back your catch.

Sounds like next time you will bring your own boat smirk.gif. The fishing is better there and they plant more fish but the story sounds like you did not have fun catching fish on there equipment confused.gif. Well you get what you pay for thanks for the update with that boat and heavy equipment it does not sound fun to me. But I think the fishing makes up for it some what smile.gif.

Yes, my preference would be to go out in a smaller boat with lighter equipment. Yes, we'll catch less fish, but as you said, I will enjoying catching them more.

However, if he wants the big boat, big equipment, harvest lots of big fish experience... it was good.

I honestly thought the captain would have some sort of secrets to put us on fish. It was more of a hit n miss thing, and had more to do with his radio and having several boats out. By networking with the other charter services they were able to more quickly determine speed, and depth, color preference. 13 lines, 10 boats = 130 setups, you're going to narrow it down pretty fast.

But an individual with a 20' boat could certainly wander around out there and find em too. I'd definitely like to try the small boat/equipment experience. PROVIDED the weather allows!!!

I went through the charter service mentioned earlier in this post over in Algoma 2 weeks ago and had a blast. I've taken charters here in Duluth as well. As far as I'm concerned not much difference. Same general equipment, same amount of lines used (2-3 per person depeneding on where you're fishing.) I know it took me a good week to get my forearms and bicepts to quite burning from fighting those kings and rainbows. Our biggest was about 15-17 lbs. I can't complain about any of the charters I've used on either lake so far. More Lakers caught while fishing Superior and more Kings and Rainbows while fishing Lake Mich.

I have been out with him several times and also have nothing but good to say about Peter and the Happy Hooker.

Steve

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

As Steve said the charters around here have stood the test of time. Happy Hooker will get it done for you.

Auguast is THE prime opportunity to fish for big lakers on superior. Some captains are able to get on these fish season after season while others play the numbers game. Just depends on what you prefer. I'm sure the hooker would do his best to give you a fun trip but I'd like to recommend Bill's Great Lakes Charters and Hard Times. Those guys have been around longer than anyone and after fishing with them for years I've seen what they are capable of. For them August fills up quickly with repeat customers but if you are looking for mid-week or the right weekend they would do you right. Good luck with whoever you choose and hope the weather is good to you.