• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

...to adapt to the ever-changing patterns in South Central MN for walleyes. This has been the theme during the phase of algae bloom and weed die-off, but I'll tell you what, these 'eyes down here never cease to amaze me. If you don't give up, they won't either. I've spent the last few days scouting and guiding and today, especially, everything came together and the bite was darn good. The "big girls" have played 'hide and seek' as of late but the numbers of 16 - 21" fish are still there, bountiful and more than willing to eat.

Unlike last week and the week before that, the fish have definitely changed their location and preference from smaller profile baits and fast speeds to larger profile baits and slower speeds. Wind-blown rip-rap and/or weed stubble shorelines are holding quite a few fish right now in 2 - 4' of water. The best way to get at these fish and make them want it has been making long casts with 1/4 oz. Rat-L-Traps and retrieving at a mediocre pace that includes a handful of jerks and twitches on the way in. 95% of the fish are hitting right next to the boat, so be sure to finish every cast. They need a good look at it before committing (this hasn't changed). Some of the better colors have been black and gold, shad, blue and chrome, perch, green and gold and fire tiger. There is also a very promising open-water suspended trolling bite taking shape too. When you go through a school of these fish, trust me, you'll know it. Holy buckets! Long-lining #7 and #9 Wally Divers in a variety of colors 100 - 120' back in 18 - 24' of water, set the drag and listen for the clicker. For this bite to be productive, again, speed has been critical. I tried "powering" through these fish at 3.0 - 3.5 mph but could not get bit. So, we slowed to 2.1 - 2.6 mph and BINGO! One thing is for sure; the quality of fish that are suspended is tough to beat. Of the walleyes we went through today, with the exception of 1 21" 'eye, each of the suspended fish were between 17 - 19". Hard to argue with that.

All the fish that have been caught recently are still swimming, so they are around for the taking.

I'll get some recent photos up as soon as possible. I've got a great action photo of a youngster fighting an open water fish. grin.gif The best is yet to come, so ignore the comforts of A/C and get out and enjoy the awesome walleye fishing in your backyard. smirk.gif

A couple bass tripped over those Rat-L-Traps today. smirk.gif

It looks like I'll have to throw out the drift sock next time I'm on Tetonka. It only get better until the water starts to cool.

It's good to see there are still walleyes in Tetonka. I was thinking they all went through the ice last winter.