• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Motor Killing

BlueFins

Question

I had a older Mercury motor winterized last winter and hasnt run good since. I troll slow and after a while it keeps acting like it wants to kill and does. They put new spark plugs in and also said it never had a thermostat in it so they put it in. Where is the thermostat and how would I take it out?

8 answers to this question

How old is the gas? I would maybe get a second opinion on the spark plugs. I have had mine replaced by marinas and they must have so many cross reference ones they never get them right. I doubt the thermostat is the problem however post your model number and make.

1987 9.9hp Mercury. My book states that it should have Champion L82yc but I know most Mercury dealers have went to Ngk but they had them in once and I couldnt get it started at all sometimes. They actually thought I was crazy for putting in L82yc cause there book had L78yc in Champions and it has a different gap. I had them put in the L82yc and thats what in it. Always put new gas and oil in and empty it at the end of the year.

Quote:

and empty it at the end of the year.

Can you explain this a little further - you empty the tank, you drain the carb bowls, you run the motor out of gas confused.gif

Also, can you explain the problem a little more - does it only have problems at idle?

marine_man

I empty the tank about once a month and at the end of the year. It kills after a while of trolling slow.

When you empty the tank are you running the carb dry, running fuel stablizer through it before the end of the season or draining the bowls at the end of the season? It sort of sounds like some junk stuck in the low speed jet.

marine_man

How do you drain the bowls and run the carb dry? What should I do to get whats stuck in there out? I seen theres a fuel filter by the motor, how do I take it apart to look at it?

If you run an outboard till it is out of gas you run lean causing a lack of lubrication in the motor. If you run it dry to winterize it you should be spraying fogging oil into the carb while it is running.

To answer your question you will have to remove the carb and clean it. If you do decide to do that it is worth buying a carb kit for the motor. When cleaning use carb cleaner, a thin wire and compressed air and clean out all areas and holes you can see. Be careful around the jets with the wire because they are soft metal and you dont want to ream them out.

Based on your response I'd say a good carb cleaning is in order - the gas that stays in the carbs over the winter turns to a varnishly sludge (unless you've been using fuel stabalizer) and small chunks of it float around in the bowl, in this case clogging your slow speed jet.

I would strongly reccomend using a fuel stabalizer in each tank of gas you use - or at the very least, if / when you plan on leaving the motor sit for a month or more. Add the stabalizer and run the motor for a while to get the stabalized gas in the carbs and you should be able to avoid this problem. That's the easiest and cheapest way to do it in my opinion anyway.

marine_man

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• mulefarm
      With the early ice out, how is the curlyleaf pondweed doing?
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   The big basin, otherwise known as Big Traverse Bay, is ice free.  Zippel Bay and Four Mile Bay are ice free as well.  Everything is shaping up nicely for the MN Fishing Opener on May 11th. With the walleye / sauger season currently closed, most anglers are targeting sturgeon and pike.  Some sturgeon anglers are fishing at the mouth of the Rainy River, but most sturgeon are targeted in Four Mile Bay or the Rainy River.  Hence, pike are the targeted species on the south shore and various bays currently.   Pike fishing this time of year is a unique opportunity, as LOW is border water with Canada, the pike season is open year round. The limit is 3 pike per day with one being able to be more than 40 inches. All fish 30 - 40 inches must be released. Back bays hold pike as they go through the various stages of the spawn.  Deadbait under a bobber, spinners, spoons and shallow diving crankbaits are all viable options.   Four Mile Bay, Bostic Bay and Zippel Bay are all small water and boats of various sizes work well. On the Rainy River...  Great news this week as we learned sturgeon will not be placed on the endangered species list by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.     The organization had to make a decision by June 30 and listing sturgeon could have ended sturgeon fishing.  Thankfully, after looking at the many success stories across the nation, including LOW and the Rainy River, sturgeon fishing and successful sturgeon management continues.   A good week sturgeon fishing on the Rainy River.  Speaking to some sturgeon aficionados, fishing will actually get even better as water temps rise.     Four Mile Bay at the mouth of the Rainy River near the Wheeler's Point Boat Ramp is still producing good numbers of fish, as are various holes along the 42 miles of navigable Rainy River from the mouth to Birchdale.   The sturgeon season continues through May 15th and resumes again July 1st.   Oct 1 - April 23, Catch and Release April 24 - May 7, Harvest Season May 8 - May 15, Catch and Release May 16 - June 30, Sturgeon Fishing Closed July 1 - Sep 30, Harvest Season If you fish during the sturgeon harvest season and you want to keep a sturgeon, you must purchase a sturgeon tag for $5 prior to fishing.    One sturgeon per calendar year (45 - 50" inclusive, or over 75"). Most sturgeon anglers are either a glob of crawlers or a combo of crawlers and frozen emerald shiners on a sturgeon rig, which is an 18" leader with a 4/0 circle hook combined with a no roll sinker.  Local bait shops have all of the gear and bait. Up at the NW Angle...  A few spots with rotten ice, but as a rule, most of the Angle is showing off open water.  In these parts, most are looking ahead to the MN Fishing Opener.  Based on late ice fishing success, it should be a good one.  
    • leech~~
      Nice fish. I moved to the Sartell area last summer and just thought it was windy like this everyday up here? 🤭
    • Rick G
      Crazy windy again today.... This is has been the norm this spring. Between the wind and the cold fronts, fishing has been more challenging for me than most years.  Panfish have been moving in and out of the shallows quite a bit. One day they are up in the slop, the next they are out relating to cabbage or the newly sprouting lilly pads.  Today eye guy and I found them in 4-5 ft of water, hanging close to any tree branches that happened to be laying in the water.  Bigger fish were liking a 1/32 head and a Bobby Garland baby shad.   Highlight of the day way this healthy 15incher
    • monstermoose78
    • monstermoose78
      As I typed that here came a hen.  IMG_7032.mov   IMG_7032.mov
    • monstermoose78
      So far this morning nothing but non turkeys. 
    • monstermoose78
      Well yesterday I got a little excited and let a turkey get to close and I hit the blind!!
    • smurfy
      good......you?? living the dream..in my basement playing internet thug right now!!!!!! 🤣 working on getting the boat ready.......bought a new cheatmaster locator for the boat so working on that.   waiting for warmer weather to start my garden!!!
    • monstermoose78
      How is everyone doing? Holy moly it’s chilly this morning I stayed in bed and will hunt later today when it warms up.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.